[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arian Foster

junta

:wacko:

Did you read the article, because he said that they're expecting Foster to be ready for week 1... That doesn't mean the hammy might not be a lingering issue, but there is no more indication that Tate is in line for significant carries right now... Plus early on, the guy who knows how to pass-protect and can still average a similar YPC behind that line looks to be the best bet for carries (i.e., Ward)

Yes, I read the article and the only part that talks about Foster being ready for the Colts is when the blogger provides his own homer opinion:

"I’ve talked to just about everyone about Foster’s hamstring, including Foster, and I expect him to play against the Colts."

Oh, so he has talked to Foster? Wonderful. Apparently so has the rest of the world via twitter. Foster probably thinks he could play tonight.

If Adrian Peterson goes down, the Vikes, I would say, are in trouble. If CJ did not sign, I would say the Titans are in trouble. If Arian Foster is out, I am not saying that the Texans are in trouble. They have two very capable backs to turn to. Both of which could run just as easily behind the strong O-Line of the Texans. Pass protection by the back is a wonderful thing. And I am guessing we will see a lot of D. Ward on 3rd down. Ben Tate is a beast- one cut then all down hill. He will be the primary rusher.

Foster must know deep inside that his spot is in jeopardy. I understand the urge to want to play and prove he was not a one hit wonder. But, he really will be a one hit wonder if he tries to hurry back for no reason.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I read the article and the only part that talks about Foster being ready for the Colts is when the blogger provides his own homer opinion:

"I’ve talked to just about everyone about Foster’s hamstring, including Foster, and I expect him to play against the Colts."

Oh, so he has talked to Foster? Wonderful. Apparently so has the rest of the world via twitter. Foster probably thinks he could play tonight.

If Adrian Peterson goes down, the Vikes, I would say, are in trouble. If CJ did not sign, I would say the Titans are in trouble. If Arian Foster is out, I am not saying that the Texans are in trouble. They have two very capable backs to turn to. Both of which could run just as easily behind the strong O-Line of the Texans. Pass protection by the back is a wonderful thing. And I am guessing we will see a lot of D. Ward on 3rd down. Ben Tate is a beast- one cut then all down hill. He will be the primary rusher.

Foster must know deep inside that his spot is in jeopardy. I understand the urge to want to play and prove he was not a one hit wonder. But, he really will be a one hit wonder if he tries to hurry back for no reason.

Ummm, you're still talking in hypotheticals. There's still no basis to support that besides speculation about the severity of the pull. There are plenty of guys to pull a hammy and be just fine, just as there are those that lingers for.

Okay fine if you don't want to believe what he's saying, but what he's saying is based on actually talking to people on the team, while you're going on his "homerism" as evidence that he's wrong. It's still all speculation for those not in the know, but for now I'll go by what the team is saying over an over-anxious Tate owner.

Now what was his YPC when you take a sample size of more than 8 preseason carries? I confess I thought his preseason #'s were better, but he averaged 6.3 yards last year, with a career 4.9 average on 506 carries... So unless you can show me where there's indication that Tate has looked like a good pass-protector, my money is on Ward as at least the short-term week 1-3 handcuff.

Deal . . Ward will play when pass protection is needed, and Tate will play when running is needed.

I would prefer Tate in a fantasy format, as my leagues do not award points for pass blocking . . :wacko:

Ummm, you're still talking in hypotheticals. There's still no basis to support that besides speculation about the severity of the pull. There are plenty of guys to pull a hammy and be just fine, just as there are those that lingers for.

Okay fine if you don't want to believe what he's saying, but what he's saying is based on actually talking to people on the team, while you're going on his "homerism" as evidence that he's wrong. It's still all speculation for those not in the know, but for now I'll go by what the team is saying over an over-anxious Tate owner.

Sez the Ward owner . . . .:wacko:

Deal . . Ward will play when pass protection is needed, and Tate will play when running is needed.

I would prefer Tate in a fantasy format, as my leagues do not award points for pass blocking . . :wacko:

Yes because being 1-dimensional has worked out so well for the Texans in recent years... If they're smart, then they won't tip their hand to the defense by only putting in Tate when they want to run and Ward when they want to pass. Why would you do that if you have an experienced back that you can trust to do both well enough?

Don't get me wrong, Tate is clearly the better back with more potential, but you know as well as I do that if you can't protect the QB, then you're a liability.

Actually that would go against Ward if Foster is ready to go like the coaches are saying... But please, don't let me get in the way of you trying to prove a point. :wacko:

When did the coaches say "he is ready"? I have heard them say they 'hope' he is ready. Thats about it.

Looks like another writer in Houston has some similar advice for Foster:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/0...me-free-advice/

Hey, Arian Foster, here’s some free advice

I’m sure Rick Smith is going to give Arian Foster a similar message in the next couple of days. Besides, I doubt Arian gives a rip what I think. But I just can’t help myself. I like giving advice.

First, Arian, shut your mouth. For this one season, play the game the way the others play it. Say what you’re supposed to say. In other words, say nothing.

Play ‘em one game at a time. They’re tougher than a boarding house steak. I just want to thank my teammates. You know what Berman wants. Give it to him.

Second, shut down your Twitter account. Yes, you’ve got a lot to say. Yes, you seem like a smart guy (probably not as smart as you think). In the NFL, that’s a real bad combination. Again, play the game for just this one year.

Third, do exactly what you did last season. You were amazingly productive, and you had all those teams who passed you in the draft scratching their heads and reviewing their notes.

If you do it all again, you will get rewarded financially, and not in a small way. Right now, you haven’t made much money. Why? The Texans still don’t trust you.

There’s a reason you went undrafted. People at Tennessee said bad stuff about you. You may someday prove them wrong, but you’re not there yet.

You’re the 43rd-highest paid player on the Texans. You’re better than that, but you come to the NFL with baggage other players don’t have.

Matt Berry broke down the Arian Foster situation with his list of ten things:

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...?page=TMR110901

10 things that, in the deepest corner of my heart, with a top-four pick staring me in the face and just 60 seconds to make a pick, make me nervous about Arian Foster this year.

1. That the hamstring is torn.

2. That the hamstring isn't torn but that Foster will attempt to come back too soon to prove people wrong, and will tear it then.

3. That we haven't even started the season and this isn't the first time Foster has hurt his hammy.

4. That Dr. Michael Kaplan is correct in saying that this is an injury that needs two to three weeks to heal.

5. That Not-a-Doctor Arian Foster is incorrect in saying he'll be ready for Week 1.

6. That Ben Tate is waiting in the wings.

7. That Gary Kubiak, evil disciple of fantasy killer Mike Shanahan, is the head coach.

8. That Vonta Leach is gone.

9. That a guy who tweets a photo of his MRI might not be done with the ill-advised decisions.

10. That we've seen this before.

You do know that McClain is spot on with the Texans and the only resource you should be listening to regarding the team right?

• 2 weeks later...
LOFL, just finished watching Die Hard.

And now playing the part of "Argyle" is Ben Tate... driving my team and season in a limo. Speaking of which, why did he wait until the end of the movie to drive through the chain-link garage barrier? Seems like a rather odd hole in the movie's storyline...

Don't ask me what any of that means, btw, I just wanted a random Die Hard reference which didn't involve "yippe-kay-ay (stop right there)".

In the leagues that I have Foster, I have Tate. Hopefully Tate showed on Sunday that 1) they don't need to rush Foster back and 2) they should basically go with him and use Ward, when healthy, as a change of pace back. The saying goes that you don't lose your job due to injury, but I'm not so sure that should go for losing your place in line as the primary back-up.

Then, when Foster is truly ready, we'll see what happens. I doubt, given how well Foster did last year, it becomes a full-fledged RBBC situation, and I could live with Tate poaching a few carries.

Obviously the Texans couldn't give two poops about what is good for my FF team, but I'm hoping that it basically works out that way. Which certainly means Foster won't be the fantasy monster he was last year, but will still be a guy you can start with confidence and get nice numbers out of. If that offense is clicking on all cycles, a back will put up great numbers even if they're not the 2000K total yards and 18 TDs kind of numbers. Sort of like how it was for DWill and Stewart a few years back.

People have good reason to be cautious with Foster. Hammy injuries can tend to linger, reoccur, or just plain strip a player's explosiveness even when the player is back playing. The Texans have more than capable backups and don't need to rush Foster back, and may even ease him into the rotation when he does come back. That's not a makings of a top 5 pick, at least this year. And let's be honest, the o-line makes the running back moreso than the other way around(the exception being Barry Sanders). Foster has a ton of talent, but then so do most running backs on NFL rosters. Give them a hole to run through, and they'll put up yards. He might be a good trade target if you could nab him, but this early in the season, people aren't going to trade him cheaply after investing a top 5 overall pick on him. Grab Tate or Ward is you can(as Tate has his own durability issues historically) and see what happens.

how can you assume he's starting? Your a psychic and know that the hamstring injury won't flare up before Sunday's game?

Arian Foster (hamstring) returned to Texans practice on Wednesday.

Coach Gary Kubiak described Foster's practice participation as a "normal Wednesday load for a starter." The indication there is that the Texans expect Foster to start against Miami.

I'm no psychic , maybe Kubiak is ?

Didn't see this posted anywhere.

Foster was back on the practice field for the Texans on Wednesday, and could be in line to play this weekend against Miami. But it sounds as if Tate, who rushed for 116 yards in his debut last week, might get the starting nod.

“This league is a league of opportunity," Kubiak told Dolphins beat writers in a conference call Wednesday. "There’s a lot of good people backing up or running third and all of a sudden guys get hurt. Some of them go in and take advantage of their opportunities, and some of them don’t. I say it to our team all the team: If you get an opportunity and go out and do it, I’m going to leave you out there.”

I'm not sure what exactly to make of this but I'm thinking that Tate is going to see an increased role even with a healthy Foster.