[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I blame MFL for ruining my local draft

Grits and Shins

Agreed. Since 1990 I have been holding drafts at my house and everyone used to come over now only half of them come over and the rest draft online. Very boring now. Not the feel of a great draft day like in years past.

Easy solution to this and the othe rposts:

DON'T use the LIVE ON-LINE draft. Continue to only draft at the draft party and enter results in MFL later. If you're not there we'll draft for you!

Easy solution to this and the othe rposts:

DON'T use the LIVE ON-LINE draft. Continue to only draft at the draft party and enter results in MFL later. If you're not there we'll draft for you!

We have two out of state owners ... drafting online MFL is by far easier to do than attempting to call them every time it is their turn to draft and catching them up.

22 years with local and 5 years before that. One of my favorite things is having one of our owners pull out the notebook he's kept for all years. Best part: how hilariously bad his handwriting gets by the the 13th round (and 13th beer.) It wouldn't be the same without these guys and without the feeling that comes from sitting down with them.

Main local has been going for 15 years. I joined with my dad 10 years ago. No online draft allowed. We always do the draft around the sametime each year so it's no mystery. I was 17 when I joined, so when I went to school I had to fly home for one night cause the draft is held the Tuesday prior to the season. We all agree the draft is the best part, if someone moves they are lost likely out. We always have replacements. I believe 6 teams of the 14 are apart of the original owners. It's my favorite part of fantasy without question.

Ah the days of laughing at people because they bought a book w/o IDP's. Guys drafting retired players and players out for the year. Buying the USA today Mon-Wed to get all the stats. The Sunday morning call to the opponent to give each other your lineups. At least our local still meets in person for the draft every year. One of my favorite days of the year!

I've been in my local league since some time in the 90's. Originally the league was with co-workers. Over time we've had to replace owners for one reason or another (including two deaths) but we have a solid core of 6 owners that have been around since the league was started. About 10 years ago one of the guys moved out of state. So each year he conducted his draft over the phone ... a somewhat painful process. Until about 4 years ago when I introduced him to the MFL live draft room - we still conducted the draft at my house but I entered the picks live allowing him to more easily follow the draft and enter his own picks live. It worked wonderfully. It worked so well that for the second year in a row everybody drafted remotely.

One of the absolute best things about my local league had been the draft itself where we all got together in the same room and ran the draft - heck one year we even drafted in a suite at a Cowboy pre-season game.

Sadly those days appear to be gone. :wacko:

Yeah that was always fun and for alot of the guys in the league the only time we would actually be together in the same room. We had laughs, beer, pizza. Made a whole night of it. Great times. But the upside is that we never could have kept the league together without an online capability. As we have gotten older, gotten married, kids, divorced, busy jobs, moving around the country, etc. the online capability is a godsend for fantasy players. Sure it isnt the same, but for us the alternative would have been no league at all. So thank you MFL :tup:

My drafts are all auction style formats so it's critical that everyone is together in the same room.

My "local" is also an auction league. However, twice in the past ten years I have had to draft online using skype (since once I was in Europe and the other time my wife was pregnant and sick and I couldn't leave her alone with our two boys to go 480 miles away to draft). Skype actually worked pretty well. In fact, there is one guy at our auction who always has a gas problem and the standing joke is that we are going to make him go into the other room and draft via skype.

However, I would hate to have using the internet be anything other than an emergency back-up plan. In my league we always draft the Friday before labor day. We start in the morning with a round of golf, then go to lunch, and then we beat the crap out of one-another playing demolition ball and then we go have our draft at one of our owner's houses. It's one of the best days of the year.

Edited by wiegie

My "local" is also an auction league. However, twice in the past ten years I have had to draft online using skype (since once I was in Europe and the other time my wife was pregnant and sick and I couldn't leave her alone with our two boys to go 480 miles away to draft). Skype actually worked pretty well. In fact, there is one guy at our auction who always has a gas problem and the standing joke is that we are going to make him go into the other room and draft via skype.

However, I would hate to have using the internet be anything other than an emergency back-up plan. In my league we always draft the Friday before labor day. We start in the morning with a round of golf, then go to lunch, and then we beat the crap out of one-another playing demolition ball and then we go have our draft at one of our owner's houses. It's one of the best days of the year.

We have conducted online auctions over the last several years and they have been very successful. This year we used MFL's auction draft room.