[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Carson Palmer sighting..

Jackass

:wacko:

So if he shows up and says he's good to go do the Bengals have to pay him?

Cincinnati Bengals front office source said quarterback Carson Palmer was at Paul Brown Stadium in late July and met with owner/GM Mike Brown, according to ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Palmer, who has four years left on his contract, told one of the NFL's least-successful franchises in January that he would retire if he's not traded. The Bengals have had two winning seasons in the last 20 years, one of the worst stretches of futility in league history.

Bengals front office sources told Holtzman it is possible Palmer could report to the Bengals next week. The 31-year-old Palmer has never filed retirement papers, so the team would be obligated to pay him or trade him.

Brown has said the team will not trade Palmer, who is scheduled to make $11.5 million this season if he plays.

A source close to Palmer told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said nothing has changed in terms of Palmer's situation.

Last week the Bengals waived Palmer's younger brother Jordan Palmer, giving older brother Carson more reason to stay away.

Jordan was the No. 2 quarterback last season behind his brother, and was signed to another contract at the start of training camp, hoping to get a chance to compete for a job. But it became clear quickly that Cincinnati had other plans.

Brown has said rookie Andy Dalton will get the starting nod. The Bengals also signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski in the offseason.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Edited by Jackass

So if he shows up and says he's good to go do the Bengals have to pay him?

Cincinnati Bengals front office source said quarterback Carson Palmer was at Paul Brown Stadium in late July and met with owner/GM Mike Brown, according to ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Palmer, who has four years left on his contract, told one of the NFL's least-successful franchises in January that he would retire if he's not traded. The Bengals have had two winning seasons in the last 20 years, one of the worst stretches of futility in league history.

Bengals front office sources told Holtzman it is possible Palmer could report to the Bengals next week. The 31-year-old Palmer has never filed retirement papers, so the team would be obligated to pay him or trade him.

Brown has said the team will not trade Palmer, who is scheduled to make $11.5 million this season if he plays.

A source close to Palmer told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter said nothing has changed in terms of Palmer's situation.

Last week the Bengals waived Palmer's younger brother Jordan Palmer, giving older brother Carson more reason to stay away.

Jordan was the No. 2 quarterback last season behind his brother, and was signed to another contract at the start of training camp, hoping to get a chance to compete for a job. But it became clear quickly that Cincinnati had other plans.

Brown has said rookie Andy Dalton will get the starting nod. The Bengals also signed veteran Bruce Gradkowski in the offseason.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

I read that on ESPN earlier and had to chuckle. Misses all of camp and can still come in and demand 11.5 million. Just does not seem right.

I hope he comes back though so I can pick him up and rename my team "Palmer Breaston Driver Bush". (Stolen from the team name post)

I read that on ESPN earlier and had to chuckle. Misses all of camp and can still come in and demand 11.5 million. Just does not seem right.

I hope he comes back though so I can pick him up and rename my team "Palmer Breaston Driver Bush". (Stolen from the team name post)

Got to admit, that's pretty good.

Do the Bengals have the cap space? Because I doubt they do (I have no idea though) and if he ends up showing up and they have to pay him or trade him, they will probably trade him or else they would have to cut a sizable amount of players. It'd be nice to see Palmer play somewhere else because I still believe he's got talent

If he comes back, Brown says okay, here's your uniform, you start week 1. If Palmer declines, he doesn't get paid. In that sense, I don't see how it is all that different from any other longish holdout and why anybody would think of Palmer any differently than anybody else that has done it.

Edited by Seahawks21

Do the Bengals have the cap space? Because I doubt they do (I have no idea though) and if he ends up showing up and they have to pay him or trade him, they will probably trade him or else they would have to cut a sizable amount of players. It'd be nice to see Palmer play somewhere else because I still believe he's got talent

This is Mike Brown. There is zero chance of that happening.

I believe that the salary cap is accounted for at the end of the season. So you can be over, but by the end of the season, you need to do enough cap management to get under it.

It's a daily thing. You have to be under it be the end of every day.

If he comes back, Brown says okay, here's your uniform, you start week 1. If Palmer declines, he doesn't get paid. In that sense, I don't see how it is all that different from any other longish holdout and why anybody would think of Palmer any differently than anybody else that has done it.

You really think Brown and Bengals would allow him/want him to start? I say no way.

Sort-of off topic:

A few times every year my brother goes to Vegas (for work) and we both put down some money on a long-shot to win it all - we do this with all sports. Suprisingly, we hit pay dirt by putting money on the SF Giants last year with huge odds; but as you can imagine, this rarely happens. Anyways, my pick this year was the Seahawks to win the superbowl at 80/1 odds. I figured with what they did last year, and with the addition of Miller and Rice, that anything could happen. Obviously they have a huge void at QB. I know it's a longshot, but if they can somehow trade for Palmer, them odds become pretty juicy! Haha.

This report appears to be based on the fact that Palmer showed up back in July to talk to the GM... and on the fact that it's almost week 1 and he hasn't filed retirement papers.

Not sure there's really any more to the story than there was 6 months ago aside from a GM visit over the summer.

This report appears to be based on the fact that Palmer showed up back in July to talk to the GM... and on the fact that it's almost week 1 and he hasn't filed retirement papers.

Not sure there's really any more to the story than there was 6 months ago aside from a GM visit over the summer.

You're right. Kind of lame. i blame ESPN.

ETA: I think the story is this:

News: According to sources, Carson Palmer visited the Bengals in late July, and the team believes he might report next week in an effort to get traded.

Edited by Jackass

The Bengals stance towards Palmer has been "you want to get traded, too bad". Sounds like Palmer's response could be "you want me to just go away quietly, too bad". I really hope he shows up for work this week just to make them scramble and have to quickly decide how to deal with the situation that they refused to deal with earlier. Palmer has a lot more leverage in this situation than they bargained for.

everyone thinks that CIN wants Palmer to go away and that's confusing to me.

I guarantee that if he shows up, he starts. I mean, Dalton ain't lighting the world on fire, not yet. Gradkowski's nice, but he's not going to make that much of a difference. With AJ Green, Simpson, Shipley, Gresham, Benson, and Scott... a good QB makes them competitive every week.

The team ain't trading or releasing him, so it's up to the HC to play him or not and Lewis seems like a no nonsense HC.

There were a bunch of off-season comments from other Bengals players regarding Palmer and how he pretty much needs to go away because frankly he clearly didn't want to be there, and teammates don't want to play with someone who doesn't want to be there when their heart isn't in it any more.

So, yes from a numbers perspective he is the guy you would want to start, but from a locker room chemistry perspective it would be a nightmare for the team to have him come in and start now.

This is Mike Brown. There is zero chance of that happening.

Well consider this...if Palmer and his 11.5 million do show up to the Bengals, and that would put them over the cap by a decent amount, does Mike Brown either:

1.) Cut several players with decent-sized contracts, players that by now are probably vital to the team and would severely hurt the team if they got axed.

or

2.) Trade Palmer, get a draft pick in return, and move on and try to actually make the Bengals something more than the laughingstock of the NFL.

He could and might go #1 if Palmer returns but Brown would get absolutely torched by the media for telling Palmer that he won't trade him because "they signed a contract together" and that he has to value that contract till it is over, while he cuts severl players who are under contract. Very hypocritical.

The owner won't trade or release him, right?

Won't the HC start the best QB? Isn't Carson better, right now, then the other guys?

You question was why do people think that they want him to go away. I believe I've answered that question.

Woudl a HC start the best player available at QB, even if it completely ticks off half of the rest of the team? I don't have the answer to that question. But apparantly you do.