[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kerry Collins to start week 1?

buddahj

Collins will be the guy for the colts longer than week one.... Neck Injuries are serious....

Check out my newest article for Can of Corn Sports: Preseason Player Updates........Own Your Dumb Friends at Fake Football

http://can-of-corn.com/2011/09/02/the-know...season-updates/

Kyle Stafford

@KStafford32

:wacko: nah....we're good

:wacko:

If this is true, not good news for the Colts.

The talking heads can speculate all they want, but the Colts start the season with a divisional game, and there's no WAY they will show their hand next week until the minute that they have to.

The talking heads can speculate all they want, but the Colts start the season with a divisional game, and there's no WAY they will show their hand next week until the minute that they have to.

Well, I hope that's the case and they're just hiding the fact that Manning won't play. Watching the Colts in preseason, I'm not impressed with Collins or Painter. Although, I liked Painted a bit more - he's certainly no Peyton Manning.

So their first practice of the week then.

So, if both Collins and Peyton take snaps with the first team next week, that tells us what exactly? Peyton has been medically cleared to practice, so you know he's already started working with the receivers. And he's been working with the offensive line for weeks. I would be shocked if they listed Peyton as doubtful or out early in the week, but it's hard to predict their coaching decisions sometimes.

Well, I hope that's the case and they're just hiding the fact that Manning won't play. Watching the Colts in preseason, I'm not impressed with Collins or Painter. Although, I liked Painted a bit more - he's certainly no Peyton Manning.

Collins has made exactly 10 passing attempts as a Colt in the preseason, and all of them were to a bunch of receivers that may not make the team. Neither of them are Peyton, but if you've seen Curtis Painter play much at all, then you know you will want Collins behind center if Peyton can't go.

Collins has made exactly 10 passing attempts as a Colt in the preseason, and all of them were to a bunch of receivers that may not make the team. Neither of them are Peyton, but if you've seen Curtis Painter play much at all, then you know you will want Collins behind center if Peyton can't go.

I didn't watch all of their games. I'd say the Colts are my number 2 team behind the Lions, but I was watching a lot of the preseason games based on my fantasy team and, and the only player on my team from IND that isn't injured is Wayne, so I wasn't expecting to see much there. I did watch a few Painter series and I watched a few Collins series. Admittedly I didn't watch every play both of them were in, but Painter seemed more accurate than Collins in what I watched. I know Collins was playing with guys that won't make the team, but I just wasn't too impressed with where he put the ball.

Also, I'm not sure if you saw Tony Dungy on ESPN or NFL Network a couple weeks ago, but he said that the "games started" streak is more important to Peyton than anything else. So if you take that into consideration, plus the fact the first game is a division game against their most competitive divisional opponent (HOU), the magic 8-ball says "all signs point to yes".

Also, I'm not sure if you saw Tony Dungy on ESPN or NFL Network a couple weeks ago, but he said that the "games started" streak is more important to Peyton than anything else. So if you take that into consideration, plus the fact the first game is a division game against their most competitive divisional opponent (HOU), the magic 8-ball says "all signs point to yes".

Peyton Manning (neck) insisted Monday that his consecutive starts streak is a non-factor when it comes to his return to game action.

"Absolutely not, no," he said. "I have to be able to competitively play. I have too much respect for football." Manning also still doesn't know if he'll be ready for the opener. "I know everybody’s into predictions and everybody wants to have the breaking news, but I just can’t give you any more than what I’m giving you. Just do me a favor, please don’t ask the linemen and receivers how I’m doing, because it annoys them and they get mad at me."

Peyton Manning (neck) insisted Monday that his consecutive starts streak is a non-factor when it comes to his return to game action.

"Absolutely not, no," he said. "I have to be able to competitively play. I have too much respect for football." Manning also still doesn't know if he'll be ready for the opener. "I know everybody’s into predictions and everybody wants to have the breaking news, but I just can’t give you any more than what I’m giving you. Just do me a favor, please don’t ask the linemen and receivers how I’m doing, because it annoys them and they get mad at me."

What do you expect him to say?

"Yeah, this consecutive start streak means more to me than my health. I'll be out there week 1, because I'd rather extend my streak, instead of nursing my injury"

No I just think it's even more indication that Manning doesn't have the ego of Favre... If he isn't ready, he's not going to sacrifice the Colt's season for some personal achievement.

All I'm saying is don't get ahead of yourself.... It isn't the type of injury where you jsut "play through pain"... That doesn't mean he won't be ready, but seriously, the record is a moot factor in how far along he is in his recovery.

"Yeah, this consecutive start streak means more to me than my health. I'll be out there week 1, because I'd rather extend my streak, instead of nursing my injury"

This +1. Peyton is simply showing some gamesmanship with that quote about his streak.

Remember when Dungy was coaching the Colts and they were like 13-0 and had wrapped up homefield advantage throughout the playoffs? There was no need for Peyton to play AT ALL in those games, but he still started all of them. Dungy sure as hell didn't want to risk an injury to his all-world QB, so why did he let Peyton play? Because Peyton asked Dungy to put him out there so he could keep his "games played" streak intact, plain and simple.

Edited by OCSkins

Because Peyton begged Dungy to put him out there so he could keep his "games played" streak intact, plain and simple.

Huge difference between risk of injury and recovering from an injury. Again, the record has nothing to do with whether Manning is ready to play. This isn't some simple injury.

Huge difference between risk of injury and recovering from an injury. Again, the record has nothing to do with whether Manning is ready to play. This isn't some simple injury.

I'm not trying to downplay the injury, and I'm certainly not trying to argue since nobody will know what will happen until gametime next Sunday. I'm just of the opinion that Manning will play. If he does play, I still think he's a very, very risky fantasy start due to lingering effects from the injury and lack of playing time with his starters to get his timing down. I'd definitely keep him on my bench until I know what he can do.

Another reason Manning could be held out: their new rookie LT Castonzo looks awful and might get Manning killed. A couple of ugly sacks--anytime during the season--could certainly cause a relapse to his current injury.

I guess it's time to see if Peyton can be as tough as Favre.

That's laughable. He doesn't have turf toe or a cracked rib. He had NECK SURGERY and the nerve endings aren't regenerating fast enough for him to be ready. If he attempts to play prematurely, there's a very real season-ending, or worse caree-ending risk involved. That has nothing to do with "toughness".

This for sure. Trudging out there to hand the the ball off once, when he's in no shape to compete, would completely undermine what the streak means. It would be pathetic. I think Peyton meant exactly what he said in that quote.

That's laughable. He doesn't have turf toe or a cracked rib. He had NECK SURGERY and the nerve endings aren't regenerating fast enough for him to be ready. If he attempts to play prematurely, there's a very real season-ending, or worse caree-ending risk involved. That has nothing to do with "toughness".

Then why is the smartest QB in the game trying to risk his career for another record?

Then why is the smartest QB in the game trying to risk his career for another record?

This is just my own opinion (of course), but if the "games played" streak matters to Peyton as much as Dungy says it does, I think it's because Manning might want an accolade that is uniquely his. Every year someone wins the Super Bowl (as he has), every year someone is named the MVP (as he has been), every year someone leads the league in passing yards and TDs (which he has done). But only 1 person (absent a tie, of course), can hold the "games played" record. Manning also has a shot at the TD and yardage records, but perhaps he thinks those are more ephemeral and can be more easily broken than the "games played" record, which is why he might put the games played record above everything else. Again, just my own personal thoughts on the matter.