[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Grant's correct handcuff?

OCSkins

In their final pre-draft rankings, The Huddle ranks Alex Green #52RB and Starks #57RB. As a Grant owner, I've been grabbing Starks as his handcuff. All preseason long all the chatter was about if Starks would be the starter, and now he's the #3 guy to own in Green Bay?

Am I missing something? Is Starks hurt? Should I drop Starks and pick up Green?

Edited by OCSkins

Green is not ready yet. I have been picking Starks ahead of Green. But be aware that the Packers are a passing team first.

Right, I know the Packers love to chuck it. My questions stems from the fact that Starks has been ranked ahead of Green on all the cheatsheets until this one. So I'm wondering what's changed that made them rank Green ahead of Starks now?

Right, I know the Packers love to chuck it. My questions stems from the fact that Starks has been ranked ahead of Green on all the cheatsheets until this one. So I'm wondering what's changed that made them rank Green ahead of Starks now?

Maybe DMD is getting older and thought it was Ahman Green. :wacko:

It happens to us all . . . dont get too worked up about it . . .

Hugh mistake

There's not a whole lot to support Green being anything other than a once-in-a-while change. Starks has been catching more passes out of the backfield this preseason, while Grant has been getting more carries.

IMO, this needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Hugh mistake

There's not a whole lot to support Green being anything other than a once-in-a-while change. Starks has been catching more passes out of the backfield this preseason, while Grant has been getting more carries.

IMO, this needs to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

So....Green being ranked higher is some kind of typo? Ok. I'm not panicking or anything if it appears that way. The new ranking just took me by complete surprise and I thought maybe some bad news came out on Starks, or GB released a new depth chart with Green over Starks, so I thought I'd float out a post to the Huddle community to get the real scoop.

FYI, Grant rides my bench as a bye-week filler/match-up opportunist anyway. Regardless, I'd like to have the GB backfield pinned down on my roster so I know I have a definite starter sitting on my bench when I need him. You guys know what I mean, what with Grant coming back from serious injury.

Edited by OCSkins

Like BB said, take it with a grain of salt, but if you read what the descriptions are saying on the RB rankings page, they seem to be saying that as long as Grant is starting, Starks is risky to be a steady performer, whereas they seem to see Green's third-down role as much safer...

Whether or not that will hold true, I'm not sure, but when you have a guy who needs the beat out the starter or an injury to have real worth, then it makes sense why a guy who has a defined role on that offense regardless might have more current value... Now whether he's in fact secured that third-down role is my question...

Edited by delusions of granduer

Like BB said, take it with a grain of salt, but if you read what the descriptions are saying on the RB rankings page, they seem to be saying that as long as Grant is starting, Starks is risky to be a steady performer, whereas they seem to see Green's third-down role as much safer...

Whether or not that will hold true, I'm not sure, but when you have a guy who needs the beat out the starter or an injury to have real worth, then it makes sense why a guy who has a defined role on that offense regardless might have more current value... Now whether he's in fact secured that third-down role is my question...

Ah, good point about Green being the 3rd down back. Understand the logic of him being ranked higher since he has a "more defined role". However, it appears that you, like me, are unsure if Green truly has that 3rd down role locked down.

I just want the guy who will be the featured back if Grant got hurt. Based on what you said, it seems that it would still be Starks since Green is the supposed 3rd down back, not a 1st/2nd down RB. Thanks.

Edited by OCSkins

Green is not ready yet. I have been picking Starks ahead of Green. But be aware that the Packers are a passing team first.

Certainly true that the Packers pass the ball. Still, even last year when the running game was devastated through injury McCarthy showed a dogged determination to keep some offensive balance and to run the ball some. He is not Andy Reed who will abandon the run at the drop of a hat.

This year, with Sitton, the Balaga Whale, and Lang up front, and with a healthy Grant, Starks healthy and with some needed experience, and of course Kuuuuuuuuhhhhnnn, I anticipate a return to a somewhat more balanced offense than last year. McCarthy was willing to ride Grant pretty hard when he was healthy, particularly late in the year in bad weather. Or so I remember.

It depends on the scoring rules you are using. If we did not have to tie rankings to projections, you would not see that. The projections reflect what I think of Green being a third down back. His projection is about his ceiling. Starks is the one that is the #2 to Grant and would step up to be the #1 if needed and his projections would go way higher if that happened. I do think the entire group is a mess to determine and rely on because they will rotate players.

Furthermore, I'm not sure I would "handcuff" Grant. That's something one does to a top FF RB who owes part of his value to the system he plays in. Thus, should he go down, even his back-up should produce nice numbers. For instance, Arian Foster. If he goes down, and the team decides to go with Ben Tate, it's reasonable to expect pretty nice numbers from him.

If you watched any Packer football last year, you will have noticed that it wasn't one of those offenses where you could just plug any RB in and expect nice numbers.

Grant is, himself, a guy surrounded by a ton of question marks and someone I could see supplanted by another back this season regardless of his health. Or, as DMD says, it could just be a cluster cuff. Which makes him, Starks, and Green are pretty useless.