[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little birdy just told me...

muck

...the Pac 10 will soon have 16 teams...

UTexas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

and

????

The most likely candidates for the ??? include Oklahoma State and Kansas.

Outlier candidates for the ??? include Texas Christian, Boise St., BYU, Arkansas, Missouri, Baylor, and Notre Dame.

I'm supposed to talk to my birdy again tonight ... we'll see ...

A "Super Conference" structure is an incredibly dumb idea.

Well wait......unless you make it EVERY Div I-A college in one conference. Then it'll be like we're all independents and this silly conference BS will finally end. :wacko: lol @ mid-west teams in the "Pac-10." Why stop there? How about UVa or FSU? Or USC in the SEC?

...the Pac 10 will soon have 16 teams...

UTexas

Oklahoma

Texas Tech

and

????

The most likely candidates for the ??? include Oklahoma State and Kansas.

Outlier candidates for the ??? include Texas Christian, Boise St., BYU, Arkansas, Missouri, Baylor, and Notre Dame.

I'm supposed to talk to my birdy again tonight ... we'll see ...

all I have heard is UT, TT, OKlahoma and Okie State - those 4 sound the most legit. They would then break it up in an east/west format keeping the original Pac 8 in tact

West- UW, WSU, Oreg, OSU, CAL, STAN, USC, UCLA

East - Utah, CU, ASU, UA, UT, TT, OK, Okie St

A "Super Conference" structure is an incredibly dumb idea.

Well wait......unless you make it EVERY Div I-A college in one conference. Then it'll be like we're all independents and this silly conference BS will finally end. :tup: lol @ mid-west teams in the "Pac-10." Why stop there? How about UVa or FSU? Or USC in the SEC?

Hey, dumbass, USC is already in the SEC... Freaking knuckle head... :wacko:

My "little bird" who is my rep for IMG sports radio thinks the SEC offers bids to UNC, Duke, and Kansas to go along with A&M. Makes a ton of sense. It's not as if the SEC needs any more football powerhouses, and then they'd own basketball as well. Can you imagine, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas in one conference?

It makes way too much sense, they could certainly stand to dilute the conference schedule a bit in terms of football. And that's where Duke, UNC, and Kansas come in. Then, they schedule home and homes with four of the most prestigious college programs every year, which would make ESPN pee themselves. Not to mention what the SEC b-ball tourney would sell for.

It's a pretty solid source, given that he basically works for Duke sports and got 2nd hand info from what the Duke AD talked about after he returned from some big meeting.

Can you imagine, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas in one conference?

A friend of mine once told me, "If your son is ever an elite basketball player, the only thing you should care about is that he ends up at some school where the primary color is blue."

...think about what big-time programs are primarily blue...in addition to these four, you have UConn, Georgetown, UCLA, etc ... tons of options if you pick a "blue" school...

The move towards 16 team conferences is inevitable. Though I can't believe that the Pac 12 would take the Oklahoma schools, given their rich history in academics, but whatever. Big Ten took Nebraska, and they immediately go and fumble their AAU status. Guess that's why the age old joke still stands today. "What does the N on the Nebraska helmet stand for?" Answer: Nowledge

My "little bird" who is my rep for IMG sports radio thinks the SEC offers bids to UNC, Duke, and Kansas to go along with A&M. Makes a ton of sense. It's not as if the SEC needs any more football powerhouses, and then they'd own basketball as well. Can you imagine, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, and Kansas in one conference?

Wow, that would bring the SEC up to a total of FOUR top-level basketball teams!

The move towards 16 team conferences is inevitable. Though I can't believe that the Pac 12 would take the Oklahoma schools, given their rich history in academics, but whatever. Big Ten took Nebraska, and they immediately go and fumble their AAU status. Guess that's why the age old joke still stands today. "What does the N on the Nebraska helmet stand for?" Answer: Nowledge

The thing that makes the MOST sense for the Big 10 would be Pitt, ND, Mizzou, and maybe Syracuse. I'm about 100% sure that isn't the way it's going to shake out.

Nebraska lost it's AAU status mainly because the way the AAU formula calculates it's credits. Here is part of the letter from Chancellor Harvey Perlman

Dear Colleagues:

I have some disconcerting news. The membership of the Association of American Universities has voted to discontinue Nebraska's membership in that organization. We have known we were at risk of this for ten years, and successfully fought off a similar threat in 2000. I had hoped our extraordinary accomplishments and steep trajectory would have made us less vulnerable, but the AAU's approach to the review made this result inevitable. There was really nothing more you could have accomplished to forestall this result.

Here is what happened.

The AAU has a unique ranking system that ranks all research universities (including non-AAU schools). It consists of four criteria: research expenditures, National Academy members, faculty awards (from a specified list), and citations. An institution's productivity on each of these criteria is “normalized” by the number of tenure track faculty. Each institution is then ranked in accordance with these “normalized” criteria and the average ranking is the overall ranking for each institution. In accordance with this system, we were ranked last among AAU institutions. A number of non-AAU institutions received a higher rank than UNL and a higher rank than 14 other AAU institutions.

The ranking system put us at a disadvantage because of the way NU's system is organized with separate flagship and medical campuses. A large majority of AAU institutions have medical schools and are allowed to count medical research data. With UNMC's (University of Nebraska Medical School) research included we would have had research expenditures above many other AAU institutions. Medical schools are both research intensive and also have a high ratio of research per tenure track faculty because many of their faculty who produce research are not “tenure track faculty” and thus not counted. Thus having a medical school is a disproportionate advantage in the AAU rankings that UNL did not enjoy.

The second disadvantage we face is that AAU inappropriately devalues agricultural research. It does not count any research funded by USDA (or by any private-sector interest) in the overall ranking. However, it does count agricultural faculty in the number used to normalize the rankings. The result is the ranking counts agriculture faculty but not the research they produce. Because of our strong commitment as a land-grant institution to serving the State of Nebraska, we are seriously disadvantaged within the AAU ranking system.

So basically the setup of the Nebraska system put NU at a disadvantage. In the 70s they separated the Medical School from UNL. They also do not value the agricultural research that Nebraska does. Losing the AAU membership does not mean that Nebraska is any less quality before, during, or after losing it's AAU membership. Besides, Nebraska joined the CIC the same day it joined the B10. The CIC will probably bring in more funding than the AAU ever did (for those that aren't familiar, in 2006-2007 the CIC received 3.5 billion in federal funding for research).

Though I can't believe that the Pac 12 would take the Oklahoma schools, given their rich history in academics, but whatever.

IIRC, Oklahoma has had more Rhodes Scholars than any other public university over the last ____ years.

Nebraska lost it's AAU status mainly because the way the AAU formula calculates it's credits. Here is part of the letter from Chancellor Harvey Perlman

So basically the setup of the Nebraska system put NU at a disadvantage. In the 70s they separated the Medical School from UNL. They also do not value the agricultural research that Nebraska does. Losing the AAU membership does not mean that Nebraska is any less quality before, during, or after losing it's AAU membership. Besides, Nebraska joined the CIC the same day it joined the B10. The CIC will probably bring in more funding than the AAU ever did (for those that aren't familiar, in 2006-2007 the CIC received 3.5 billion in federal funding for research).

Just some healthy ribbing from east of the border. The more I start thinking about it, the more I love the Iowa-Nebraska day after thanksgiving tradition. I think it'll be great for both schools!

• 4 weeks later...

Birdy told me yesterday:

Big 12 will be adding three of the following schools if Mizzou stays --- BYU, TCU, Louisville and WVirginia

If Mizzou leaves, those four are in the front row for invites.

The news about the Big 12 opening negotiations w/ TCU hit the local sports-talk today; I'm not sure if it is out nationally yet or not (and I don't have time to really search today).

Wow, that would bring the SEC up to a total of FOUR top-level basketball teams!

I grant you that Florida basketball doesn't have the history of the other four programs listed but they did win the NCAA Championship games in 2006 and 2007. That was pretty good.