[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's up with Seatle QB

devildog0311

As a former defender of Jackson up to a couple of weeks ago, I'd say that he really does suck and that I was really wrong in thinking he might turn into a solid but mediocre QB.

That ultra-porous O-line sure as hell isn't helping him any, but Jesus H Christ the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He's actually regressed along his learning curve from what I have seen.

Edited by Bronco Billy

As a former defender of Jackson up to a couple of weeks ago, I'd say that he really does suck and that I was really wrong in thinking he might turn into a solid but mediocre QB.

That ultra-porous O-line sure as hell isn't helping him any, but Jesus H Christ the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He's actually regressed along his learning curve from what I have seen.

I sheepishly admit the same thing. I wanted to give the Seattle staff the benefit of the doubt but Tavaris has been absolutely atrocious.

It really doesn't matter. It's hard to explain how bad the Seattle O-line was against first team defenses in pre-season, we are talking worse than the Bears O-line in the early part of last season. Whitehurst may be the starter at some point in the season, but when the pass protection gets blown up within one second on every single pass play, you can't even evaluate how bad the QB play is. Hasselbeck is lucky he's on another team or he would have been coma concussed into retirement by week 3 if it hadn't already happened in pre-season.

It really doesn't matter. It's hard to explain how bad the Seattle O-line was against first team defenses in pre-season, we are talking worse than the Bears O-line in the early part of last season. Whitehurst may be the starter at some point in the season, but when the pass protection gets blown up within one second on every single pass play, you can't even evaluate how bad the QB play is. Hasselbeck is lucky he's on another team or he would have been coma concussed into retirement by week 3 if it hadn't already happened in pre-season.

you nailed it. they NEED a mobile qb until the o line learns how to block

you nailed it. they NEED a mobile qb until the o line learns how to block

+1

TJax at least can run for his life. Whitehurst, while no gazelle, is at best average in mobility. The downside with TJax is that he is inaccurate, telegraphs passes, and the defenses do not respect the pass when he is flushed out of the pocket.

Edited by historymike

I think T-Jack lost his confidence right around
timeframe.

lol that's awesome.

I've been wondering the same thing all preseason: Why the hell are they starting Jackson over Whitehurst? I've talked about it a lot, too. It never made any sense to me. This thread is the first time I've seen anyone mention Jackson's mobility and the o-line's inability to block. I suppose that can make sense in a way. Maybe they're trying to keep Whitehurst from getting injured until their o-line is capable of keeping him on his feet.

lol that's awesome.

I've been wondering the same thing all preseason: Why the hell are they starting Jackson over Whitehurst? I've talked about it a lot, too. It never made any sense to me. This thread is the first time I've seen anyone mention Jackson's mobility and the o-line's inability to block. I suppose that can make sense in a way. Maybe they're trying to keep Whitehurst from getting injured until their o-line is capable of keeping him on his feet.

Another reason is because the new O-Coordinator is from Minn. and Jackson already knows the playbook. Whitehurst has been catching up in practice but they are seem to want to stick it out with Jackson for a couple weeks. I think Charlie gets the starting gig a couple weeks into the season when they are winless...

Another reason is because the new O-Coordinator is from Minn. and Jackson already knows the playbook. Whitehurst has been catching up in practice but they are seem to want to stick it out with Jackson for a couple weeks. I think Charlie gets the starting gig a couple weeks into the season when they are winless...

That's debatable.

Edited by Delicious_bass

The bigger question is why in the hell is TJax even on an NFL roster

Because GM's and coaches think he is one of the top 100 QBs on the planet and Seattle happens to have dibs on 3 of them rated 90 to 100.

The new buzz today is moving 1st round pick James Carpenter from right guard to left tackle.

Edited by bushwacked

Because GM's and coaches think he is one of the top 100 QBs on the planet and Seattle happens to have dibs on 3 of them rated 90 to 100.

The new buzz today is moving 1st round pick James Carpenter from right guard to left tackle.

Actually since he is starting at least 1 GM thinks he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet. I haven't seen anything from TJax that makes me believe he would be good at holding a clip board let alone being under center.

Actually since he is starting at least 1 GM thinks he is one of the top 32 QBs on the planet.

I'm pretty sure that Kolb probably wasn't exactly the 33rd best QB in the league last year after week 7 or vice-versa for Vick before week 7.

All things being equal, I'm sure Carroll would probably have a number of QB's starting rather than Jackson. But the associated costs of acquiring and maintaining said player, along with the term "hitching your coaching career wagon to a franchise QB" come to mind.

As unlikely as it is that Tavaris or Whitehurst becomes the QB of the future, their contracts are up in the next 1-2 years and didn't cost much in terms guaranteed money or trade talent. Carrol isn't dependent on the success of either for the next two years as much as he is for the early round picks last year, this year and next year.

Tavaris and Whiterhurst are short term cap friendly busts worse case scenario and unexpected long term contributors at best. Garrard, Hasselbeck, Mcanabb, and Orton aren't the likely keys to long term success for this particular team in these particular circumstances. Although the Hawks beat the superbowl champs in a playoff game last year, I think the organization is somewhat grounded here...the Hawks aren't looking for a superbowl champ QB this year and if Kolb becomes that for the Cardinals, then so be it. The Hawks didn't have the luxury/depth/ of giving up talent and draft picks for short term resolution.

Edited by bushwacked

As a Seahawks season ticket holder going on 8 years now I can give you this...

TJax has played like garbage, but so has the O-line. Whitehurst looks good against backup secondaries.

The fact of the matter is neither QB is the long-term solution. Our future/franchise QB is currently playing collegiate football. Who knows who it will be but its obvious that these guys won't cut it. Avoid the situation at all costs from a fantasy stand point and we'll have a conversation about their first round QB pick in next year's NFL draft.

Go 'Hawks!

-12th Man pride

As a Seahawks season ticket holder going on 8 years now I can give you this...

TJax has played like garbage, but so has the O-line. Whitehurst looks good against backup secondaries.

The fact of the matter is neither QB is the long-term solution. Our future/franchise QB is currently playing collegiate football. Who knows who it will be but its obvious that these guys won't cut it. Avoid the situation at all costs from a fantasy stand point and we'll have a conversation about their first round QB pick in next year's NFL draft.

Go 'Hawks!

-12th Man pride

Or high school....cause there could be a few swings and misses( ala :wacko: Alex Smith) before they find there man!

Actually they drafted him to play right tackle and are considering moving him to left guard this week because they're not sure if Gallery is going to play. I think it might be worth a shot to try Gallery at RT and keep Carpenter at LG. Carpenter played well at guard during the senior bowl, and he even mentioned how he is comfortable playing LG because he has always played on the left side of the line. That made me remember my senior year of high school. We were a right handed wishbone team, and I got moved from left tackle to right tackle halfway through the season. I never did get truly comfortable on the right side, and for the first three weeks or so I was completely terrible. I couldn't get used to hitting with my left shoulder. Simply switching sides changed me from all-league to mediocre. I'm in no way trying to compare my little high school history with any of this stuff, but I can see how a guy could be uncomfortable playing on the right side if he prefers to hit with his right shoulder. Hopefully they can figure out something and make it work.

As for the QB, as I've said before, they didn't have a choice. WIth the drastically condensed offseason and no OTA's, combined with a new coordinator, if the Seahawks wanted to have any chance of hitting the ground running, they HAD to name Tarvaris the starter and hope he could help teach everybody else the offense. Also, Whitehurst is in the last year of his contract. Why give experience to a guy that you're going to show the door to shortly? At least Jackson has one more year left.

The beginning of the Seahawks schedule is pretty brutal for six weeks or so. I highly doubt Tarvaris survives those first six weeks as the starter. I also doubt Whitehurst does much better, but he'll get his chance.

Actually they drafted him to play right tackle and are considering moving him to left guard this week because they're not sure if Gallery is going to play. I think it might be worth a shot to try Gallery at RT and keep Carpenter at LG. Carpenter played well at guard during the senior bowl, and he even mentioned how he is comfortable playing LG because he has always played on the left side of the line. That made me remember my senior year of high school. We were a right handed wishbone team, and I got moved from left tackle to right tackle halfway through the season. I never did get truly comfortable on the right side, and for the first three weeks or so I was completely terrible. I couldn't get used to hitting with my left shoulder. Simply switching sides changed me from all-league to mediocre. I'm in no way trying to compare my little high school history with any of this stuff, but I can see how a guy could be uncomfortable playing on the right side if he prefers to hit with his right shoulder. Hopefully they can figure out something and make it work.

As for the QB, as I've said before, they didn't have a choice. WIth the drastically condensed offseason and no OTA's, combined with a new coordinator, if the Seahawks wanted to have any chance of hitting the ground running, they HAD to name Tarvaris the starter and hope he could help teach everybody else the offense. Also, Whitehurst is in the last year of his contract. Why give experience to a guy that you're going to show the door to shortly? At least Jackson has one more year left.

The beginning of the Seahawks schedule is pretty brutal for six weeks or so. I highly doubt Tarvaris survives those first six weeks as the starter. I also doubt Whitehurst does much better, but he'll get his chance.

Uhmm ... they didn't HAVE to release Hasslebeck.

Uhmm ... they didn't HAVE to release Hasslebeck.

They didn't release Hasselbeck. They chose not to extend him with a big three year contract. If we had done that, Carroll would be out of the league permanently in three years or less. Matt Hasselbeck was like the 28th rated NFL passer last season. Jackson/Whitehurst only have to play bad to be better than he has been for the past few years. In fact, they can play quite terrible and still be better. Either way, when you're a new coach on a young and not very talented team, you don't pay 3 years of decent money to an over-the-hill injury riddled QB. I actually applaud them for not pandering to the fanbase on this one. If you want to be mediocre at best for years, sure, sign Hasselbeck. As is, the Seahawks are going to be bad for a while, but hopefully can be good sooner than later.