[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's up with Seatle QB

devildog0311

They didn't release Hasselbeck. They chose not to extend him with a big three year contract. If we had done that, Carroll would be out of the league permanently in three years or less.

Hasselbeck opted not to re-sign with SEA. He was given an opportuntity to stay.

Uhmm ... they didn't HAVE to release Hasslebeck.

As Hawks21 noted, they didn't re-sign Hasselbeck, who threw a whopping 12 TDs last year to go along with 22 turnovers. Hass has turned the ball over more than throwing TDs for three straight seasons now. I know the average sports fan doesn't watch Alaskan time zone football that much, but his game against the Saints was like that Reverend from Caddyshack before he got struck by lightning. It was an anomaly relative to recent performances.

Hasselbeck opted not to re-sign with SEA. He was given an opportuntity to stay.

He chose the team that gave him a 21 million 3 year contract. Seattle wasn't near giving him 3 years and that much money.

Edited by bushwacked

Is Josh Portis in the Mix? Isn't he the cousin of Clinton Portis?

He's got enough talent that he wasn't challenged to be the #3 QB, but he clearly isn't ready to play in this league yet. He looked pretty good in the no-huddle and when some receivers were wide open, but he looked pretty dumbfounded quite often as well. Yes, he is the cousin of Clinton. He throws a good looking ball and he has athleticism to burn, but like most young QB's, especially undrafted ones, he has quite a ways to go. I guess there is a scenario where he gets a game at the end of the season, but I think if Tarvaris or Whitehurst gets hurt for an extended period of time, you would see the Seahawks grab a veteran off the street before they would throw Portis in there.

I stand corrected. Having said that TJax is a horrible choice and certainly NOT one of the top 32 QBs on the planet. Heck he's probably not even one of the top 50 QBs on the planet.

I don't think you'd find too many folks that would disagree with you. He's cheap for a QB, somewhat knows the offense, and once upon a time was thought to have some upside. Most importantly, he won't hinder the Seahawks chances of drafting a QB next season. Other than having to watch him play for a stretch, there isn't a ton of risk here.

Carroll is really hoping for better Luck in 2012

I feel bad for Seahawks fans. If this was a fantasy football team they'd be accused of tanking :wacko:

I don't know if it is "tanking" as much as it is re-building. Like the other Seattle homers here have said, Matt Hasselbeck isn't going to win us a Super Bowl anytime soon. We've never had one, and the fan base is becoming quite desperate. If we have to get worse before we get better, so be it, but I think most of us like the general direction this franchise is heading in. I'd probably be a lot more PO'd if I were a season ticket holder, but I'm not. The Hawks should have had their next QB in place years ago, and decided to drag their feet. We are now living with the consequences of that. I think most of use are pretty excited for the future and are buying the Pete Carroll kool-aid at the moment.

I don't know if it is "tanking" as much as it is re-building. Like the other Seattle homers here have said, Matt Hasselbeck isn't going to win us a Super Bowl anytime soon. We've never had one, and the fan base is becoming quite desperate. If we have to get worse before we get better, so be it, but I think most of us like the general direction this franchise is heading in. I'd probably be a lot more PO'd if I were a season ticket holder, but I'm not. The Hawks should have had their next QB in place years ago, and decided to drag their feet. We are now living with the consequences of that. I think most of use are pretty excited for the future and are buying the Pete Carroll kool-aid at the moment.

po-tat-o

po-ta-to

Letting Hass walk, And having unyielding confidence in TJax when Whitehurst has obviously been better sure looks like a tank job to me. Considering his past with USC....

Unless he really is as bad as he was in NE and NY and his success at USC can be attributed to "the best college players money can buy". Sure stinks to me

Letting Hass walk, And having unyielding confidence in TJax when Whitehurst has obviously been better sure looks like a tank job to me.

Hass 3 years 21 million to Titans

Tavaris 2 years 8 million to Hawks

Again, Hass has had 34 TDs to 44 INTs over the last 3 seasons combined. Minus the Saints game in the playoff he's been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL for some time, if healthy enough to play. There was no Jack Locker in Seattle to mentor. Tavaris is actually going to have to play considerably worse in Seattle than he did in Minnesota to match Hass's recent stats.

I prefer to look at it as better resources of funds in the short/mid term rather than tanking. Guys like Sidney Rice and Zach Miller probably wouldn't have been signed to mulit-year contracts at the expense of keeping the veteran leadershipof Hass. Hass will be retired when Miller and Rice are still contributing.

Edited by bushwacked

Hass 3 years 21 million to Titans

Tavaris 2 years 8 million to Hawks

Again, Hass has had 34 TDs to 44 INTs over the last 3 seasons combined. Minus the Saints game in the playoff he's been one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL for some time, if healthy enough to play. There was no Jack Locker in Seattle to mentor. Tavaris is actually going to have to play considerably worse in Seattle than he did in Minnesota to match Hass's recent stats.

I refer to look at it as better resources of funds in the short/mid term rather than tanking. Guys like Sidney Rice and Zach Miller probably wouldn't have been signed to mulit-year contracts at the expense of keeping the veteran leadershipof Hass. Hass will be retired when Miller and Rice are still contributing.

fair enough. I haven't watched much of Seattle in pre-season but TJax just seems like a bad idea from what I've heard. We sat through half a season of Doug Pederson :wacko: