[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carolina's offense as a whole

yilduz

I started looking at Carolina's offense as a whole, and started to realize how different they are than last year.

Of the six WRs and four TEs they have on their roster, only three of them played for the Panthers last year - and one of those three only played in three games. That, of course, is in addition to the fact that their top two QBs are new to the team as well. The only position that didn't really change from last year is RB. All three of their runners were on the roster last season.

With that much change, how much does that make you guys worry about having ANY of their offensive players on your roster?

edit: Just remembered to look at their FB, who played for Detroit last season. Yet another new face in Carolina.

Edited by yilduz

steve smith's gone undrafted in 2 drafts i've had so far.

That's straight-up nuts, unless you're talking about an 8-team league or something goofy like that.

Cam Newton is going to grow as a QB, potentially pretty quickly. He targeted Smith EIGHT times in a PRESEASON game (where I'm guessing both players didn't play anywhere close to the whole game). Granted, he only turned one of those eight targets into a catch, but come on, who else do they have to throw to?

Greg Olsen and Steve Smith could be huge, huge values this year. Heck, Newton himself may actually be startable in 2-QB leagues or as a bye week or injury filler.

That's straight-up nuts, unless you're talking about an 8-team league or something goofy like that.

Cam Newton is going to grow as a QB, potentially pretty quickly. He targeted Smith EIGHT times in a PRESEASON game (where I'm guessing both players didn't play anywhere close to the whole game). Granted, he only turned one of those eight targets into a catch, but come on, who else do they have to throw to?

Greg Olsen and Steve Smith could be huge, huge values this year. Heck, Newton himself may actually be startable in 2-QB leagues or as a bye week or injury filler.

Greg Olsen is the one to have. New offensive scheme that focuses on TE. They gave up a 3rd rounder to get Olsen. He will lead the team in catches this year.

Greg Olsen is the one to have. New offensive scheme that focuses on TE. They gave up a 3rd rounder to get Olsen. He will lead the team in catches this year.

I don't doubt that in the least. I think Smith will have value too, though. I mean, he's not a fantasy #1 or even a #2 at this point, but as a #3 or flex or bye week filler, you most certainly can do worse. Newton is going to look to him.

I'm thinkin' like 60ish catches, 825ish yards and 6-7 scores. How is that undraftable? :wacko:

I'm thinkin' like 60ish catches, 825ish yards and 6-7 scores. How is that undraftable? :wacko:

Not much upside - those aren't bad numbers, but those are ALL you know you might get out of Smith.

That's my reasoning on why I wouldn't target him, at least.

Not much upside - those aren't bad numbers, but those are ALL you know you might get out of Smith.

That's my reasoning on why I wouldn't target him, at least.

Well if he's going undrafted in some leagues, then there's built-in upside. :wacko:

And I'm not going out and targeting him in all my leagues... not in the least.

I happened to get him as a 2nd WR in a 32-team league and was doing backflips. Figuratively, of course.

The #1 WR on a team, regardless of how green the QB is and regardless if the TE is going to be massively involved, needs to at least be considered as a fantasy starter in typical leagues.

OK, enough on the meager potential of the Panther passing offense... :tup:

Well if he's going undrafted in some leagues, then there's built-in upside. :wacko:

And I'm not going out and targeting him in all my leagues... not in the least.

I happened to get him as a 2nd WR in a 32-team league and was doing backflips. Figuratively, of course.

The #1 WR on a team, regardless of how green the QB is and regardless if the TE is going to be massively involved, needs to at least be considered as a fantasy starter in typical leagues.

OK, enough on the meager potential of the Panther passing offense... :tup:

Oh, I understand WHY he is appealing - those #s from someone sitting on the waiver wire are terrific value. And I was very careful to use the word "target" because you never know how a draft will play out, and I might end up drafting Smith because he's there.

I think one other thing to consider is that it isn't going to be a steady 60-825-6; knowing how offenses on bad teams with young QBs go, you'd probably be dealing with meager production for weeks and then get a 5-120-3 explosion when you least expect it.

I don't doubt that in the least. I think Smith will have value too, though. I mean, he's not a fantasy #1 or even a #2 at this point, but as a #3 or flex or bye week filler, you most certainly can do worse. Newton is going to look to him.

Steve smith was on Fantasy Football Focus the ESPN podcast and he wasn't even optimistic about his production this season... especially if Cam Newton "only throws to [smith] 2-3 times a game"

Was at the last preseason game vs Steelers, who had 6-7 defensive starters in the first Carolina possession. Scramble, pass, Edwards was a favorite of Newt's.....one pass to Steve Smith was way out of sync as Smith turned in inside the endzone, Newton threw outside...looked really bad...but Newton came back to one name not mentioned and could be a force to reckon with---SHOCKEY!! He caught the ball at the 4 yard line and made a move on the DB and scampered into the end zone....think Panthers will run many two TE sets and have Shockey and Olsen to keep the "D" honest with Smith and Edwards....Newton can run and his biggest downfall right now is decision making in the pocket....he's not there yet, but by mid season he will be a decent QB2....mark my words... :wacko:

Was at the last preseason game vs Steelers, who had 6-7 defensive starters in the first Carolina possession. Scramble, pass, Edwards was a favorite of Newt's.....one pass to Steve Smith was way out of sync as Smith turned in inside the endzone, Newton threw outside...looked really bad...but Newton came back to one name not mentioned and could be a force to reckon with---SHOCKEY!! He caught the ball at the 4 yard line and made a move on the DB and scampered into the end zone....think Panthers will run many two TE sets and have Shockey and Olsen to keep the "D" honest with Smith and Edwards....Newton can run and his biggest downfall right now is decision making in the pocket....he's not there yet, but by mid season he will be a decent QB2....mark my words... :wacko:

Is this the year Shockey stays healthy and plays 16 games? I can see your point about 2-TE sets happening a lot for them this year too. Seems to make sense. Safe check-downs inside/around the numbers. Possible the TE's are targeted more in this offense than WR's? I see lots 'o twenty-two personnel in for them this year.

Carolina's offense this year reminds me of Mike Vick's first years in Atlanta.

They had a two-headed monster in the backfield (Dunn and Duckett) and Crumpler was ATL's leading receiver. If I recall, they were near the league lead in rushing his Vick's first year and led the league in his second year.

I expect similar things from Newton/DeAngelo/Stewart/Olson.

Edited by ced1001

Provided you don't count on anyone to be a rock in your line-up, then I expect them to be a pleasant surprise all around. I think Newton will be OK, which means he may not, himself, be worthy of a FF roster, but he'll be good enough that the offense will move and make guys like DWill, the TEs, and possibly Steve Smith worth something. JStew is another issue entirely given his injuries.

:tup:

First half way decent QB the Panthers have ever had.

Collins, Beueurlein, and Delhomme all had moments where they were "halfway decent." They just were never able to sustain it.

The only thing better than people panicking 5 minutes into the season are those who draw long-term conclusions based upon a single game early in the season.

Hey DWill owners how did his performance yesterday make you feel? Not feeling great about the Carolina run game now. I figured with Cam being in his 1st year that they would run more to give Cam time to get his feet settled......guess I was way off. This is the "throw 1st" league now anyways.

Hey DWill owners how did his performance yesterday make you feel? Not feeling great about the Carolina run game now. I figured with Cam being in his 1st year that they would run more to give Cam time to get his feet settled......guess I was way off. This is the "throw 1st" league now anyways.

I'm going to assume that part of Newton's success had much to do with the fact that AZ, like plenty of others, assumed he'd struggle and aimed to stop the run and let him try and beat them through the air.

My guess is that, going forward, teams will play a bit more honest which should open up the running game.