[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Question: Player drafts injured player

chinatown dragons

I'm the Commish of a ten team league. We use the waiver wire (based on records, points scored, etc), and we have ALWAYS started it after the first week's game.

Owner in our league drafted Hartley for the Saints, and that was the ONLY kicker he drafted.

Hartley is OUT for a while; owner contacted me asking me to start Waiver Wire this week.

My feeling is that he should have done his homework, pre draft as MOST knew Hartley was hurt. Be similar to owner who drafts Manning, and all of a sudden Manning is out for year.

I think he goes first week, without a kicker, and can pick one up next week.

thoughts?

I don't see any reason for you to open up waivers sooner than has been customary for your league, just because 1 owner failed to do his homework. However, at the same time, I don't see starting the WW early as as a terrible thing, provided all the other owners are on board with the idea. A couple of other thoughts:

- how do you plan to set the WW order if you do open waivers early? I don't think FCFS would be suitable in this case

- since the Saints play tonite, you'd need to get this sorted fast to have it matter if you do open the WW, but you still have to be fair to all teams & allow them enough notice of the possible rule change

- if you do open the WW, you are setting a standard for the future; be sure you are ok with that before proceeding

Bottom line, I personally think that running the WW early in this situation to accommodate 1 owner creates some possible complications better avoided, and opens up a can of worms that might better remain closed ... so my inclination would be to tell the Hartley owner "sorry" and he has to take a zero for the week at his PK position, as the price for his draft day gaffe.

Wow, a bunch of ruthless people here. Let me just share the other side of the coin. This Fantasy thing is supposed to be for fun right? What's the big deal about helping a guy out so he doesn't have a bitter taste in his mouth?

Maybe your league is full of guys that should know better but I know in our long running league some guys approach Fantasy with a much more laid back attitude and show up to the draft with very little preparation. I 'welcome' those guys because they're still fun to play with, rarely cause any trouble and are easy money. If they don't pay attention before the draft they likely won't be sniping players from the WW during the season either.

So I say cut him a break.

no brainer....he goes without a kicker week 1 :wacko:

No doubt. Happened in a league of mine, same kicker

Wow, a bunch of ruthless people here. Let me just share the other side of the coin. This Fantasy thing is supposed to be for fun right? What's the big deal about helping a guy out so he doesn't have a bitter taste in his mouth?

Maybe your league is full of guys that should know better but I know in our long running league some guys approach Fantasy with a much more laid back attitude and show up to the draft with very little preparation. I 'welcome' those guys because they're still fun to play with, rarely cause any trouble and are easy money. If they don't pay attention before the draft they likely won't be sniping players from the WW during the season either.

depends on what kinda league you wana play in I guess. But, you're not likely to find many people that agree with you on this board. You wanna play with that style of owner play a free yahoo...

I think the guy playing against him that losing by 1 pt would argue with you and if the H2H lose keeps said guy out of the playoffs with big prize money or heck even bragging rights

thanks for ALL of the feedback, appreciate it.

to clarify, the guy WAS there....didnt auto-draft.,.. has been in the league since we started over 20 years ago, so knows how it runs, operates, and is one of my best friends.

i told him that cannot make an exception for him, due to the fact he had an outdated Magazine at the draft....!! (he should have used HUDDLE for updated info...!)

he goes without a kicker for one week.....thanks everybody

It does depend on how serious your league is, but people aren't just being ruthless... They're arguing that this would be giving preferential treatment to the owner and would force the commish to override the rules, which can really open up a can of worms for a commish with future rulings of someone else wanting a break, and of course establishes a precedent to where the commish will either have to change the rules to FCFS or bend over for another owner next year who wants the same break, and potentially cause problems.

That said, particularly with it being a kicker (I mean it's a kicker, so I can't say I really blame people for doing their research on more important draft decisions), and so I agree with TS that it should be up to the league, not just the commish to decide if they think this is okay... Once the year has started, the commish's job is to enforce the rules, and he should not be asked to override those rules for someone's mistake unless the league is okay with it.

Edited by delusions of granduer

if you always lock rosters until after week 1, then you shouldn't deviate from that. is most of my leagues, it's usually a little more nebulous, depending on when the draft ended, etc. whether waivers run once before week 1. if a few people request it and it's run the same way waivers are always run with everybody having a chance to drop and add (and there's not an express or implied rule stating that waivers don't run until after week 1), then I see no reason not to run them in that instance. based on what you've shared here though and the lateness of the issue coming to light, I'd say he gets stuck with a zero this week.

What's the purpose of having rules if you are just going to blatantly disregard them? Especially for a completely avoidable situation like this one? Everyone else made the effort to get updated, why give one donkey a free pass? Would you let him draft Foster then grab Tate 5 days later as a handcuff? Collins for Manning? How about "I didn't know TE got PPR, I want to pick a different one now". "Don't know" isn't a valid reason to make exceptions. If you want to craft new rules to help with this in the future that's one thing, but you don't go against established rules to do so.

I'm commish in one of my leagues and this is exactly why we leave the waiver wire open first come first serve from the time the auction ends to the start of the season. With pre season and so many injuries unless you have a huge roster and can back up every position why not just leave owners the control to pick up and drop who they choose. At the end of the auction people are grabbing scrub players for a $1 anyways. There have been a total of 4 players picked up since we held our auction on August 21st. For the people who do run into injuries it makes it alot easier and levels the playing field a bit.

However in this case your rules state it starts after week 1 and if Hartley was already injured going into your draft it's kind of egg on his face. I would ask the owner he is playing and see if he cares whether or not he can replace Hartley if he wants an even playing field let him do it if not then you have to stick with the rules that were set.

I would ask the owner he is playing and see if he cares whether or not he can replace Hartley if he wants an even playing field let him do it if not then you have to stick with the rules that were set.

Rules are rules and it can affect more than the owner the Hartley owner is playing: division race, tie breakers, awards for high scorer. It's a simple call and the answer is no, Hartley cannot be replaced.

Rules are rules and it can affect more than the owner the Hartley owner is playing: division race, tie breakers, awards for high scorer. It's a simple call and the answer is no, Hartley cannot be replaced.

Yeah I guess I do agree with you I was trying to look for a middle ground if you did want to allow him to pick up Hartley but, rules are rules and you can't change them because of one owners lack of study. A 0 from his kicker in week one isnt the end of the world.