[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cam Newton

Duchess Jack

he's not one of those one trick pony super athletic scrambling QBs.

I watched the whole game stunned. He played like a vet. He kept composure and threw some awesome balls while on the run. Cat showed amazing power on his throws and took a bundle of hits. He was also a load to bring down.

HIs stat-line is for real. Kid seems like the real deal - and Little Stevie Wonder lives!!

Edited by Duchess Jack

I must say his preseason numbers did not really hint at a performance like this. Carolina and their fans must be encouraged. I did not see the game, just the highlights. On one sample I only saw edited parts of, I will reserve judgement. I will get a good chance to watch him this coming week.

I watched the entire game and on the surface, he looked good. Problem was AZ was unable to get to him and Patrick Peterson could not stay with Smith.

What I saw in preseason was teams able to rattle Newton easily. I think if they can get into his head, you going to see another T. Jackson type performance.

Unless he's developed passed that in the last week but I'm not buying it yet. I'd say if you own him... perfect opportunity to sell high.

I watched the entire game and on the surface, he looked good. Problem was AZ was unable to get to him and Patrick Peterson could not stay with Smith.

Interesting because I saw him take a bunch of hits. I saw him stand in the pocket until the last minute completing passes just before getting hit. I people grabbing onto him and him breaking away from them (aka Big Ben) and I saw him break out of the pocket and escape the pass rush a lot of times to complete the pass. One thing I didn't see is him running when he shouldn't. He really showed a lot of poise. Even when he was chased out of the pocket, he still usually threw the ball.

I can see how a performance like that can give a cat a lot of confidence. Granted, he isn't going to do half as well against Green Bay, but he showed me enough to believe that he has a pretty good chance to be special and a very slim chance of flopping.

Interesting because I saw him take a bunch of hits. I saw him stand in the pocket until the last minute completing passes just before getting hit. I people grabbing onto him and him breaking away from them (aka Big Ben) and I saw him break out of the pocket and escape the pass rush a lot of times to complete the pass. One thing I didn't see is him running when he shouldn't. He really showed a lot of poise. Even when he was chased out of the pocket, he still usually threw the ball.

I can see how a performance like that can give a cat a lot of confidence. Granted, he isn't going to do half as well against Green Bay, but he showed me enough to believe that he has a pretty good chance to be special and a very slim chance of flopping.

I agree here. Saw nothing that BB was talking about. Especially important I thought was he'd be getting pressured and on a few occasions didn't chuck the ball up or take off in a panic. One time he stepped forward and took the sack when he should have. He appears to have the goods, and perhaps as important Rivera seems willing to let him play...

There were a few occasions where Washington was man handling him and Rhodes & Parish were getting decent pressure early on. But at least 1 play per series Newton had all night to throw back there and Smith was not only open, but he was in the next time zone. Dalton would have looked as good back there against that defense. The Cards D was horrific yesterday and at times, they looked confused and missed several schemes which allowed for Newton to work the middle easily. Their blitz packages where confused at best. They blitzed the strong side dang near every blitz and left the weak side WIDE open for Newton to move the pocket and throw with comfort.

It's just amuses me that people get onto a band wagon after one nice performance when he had 4 disastrous performances in the preseason.

I'm honestly hoping that he does well, don't get me wrong. But I think if you happened to draft him and stash him, you'll never have more value on him than you do right now. Sell him... Trust me on this....

Well, I don't think he should have been drafted and not to speak to what DJ thinks but I'm speaking to him as a football player who looks like he's got some goods as opposed to a quality ff guy this year. He'll likely be too inconsistent to be of much use there but the Panthers did right it looks like making him the top pick.

What does not surprise me is the composure. I think the gaudy stats are a function of AZ assuming that, if Carolina was going to beat them, they were going to beat them running the ball, so they likely gave him more looks than they would have otherwise. So, I certainly don't see him duplicating that performance any time soon and expect the running game to get a bit more room to operate.

However, he does seem to have "it". His body language is right and dudes want to make plays for him. To a man, his teammates were thrilled with him yesterday and he was the only one who wasn't, because he said he's not used to losing and doesn't see much reason in being happy after a loss. Which is exactly what you want to hear from the kid.

Like I said before, I think he has a chance to do what others he's been compared to were unable to. He's bigger than Vick, so he might not be as fragile. He's bigger and faster than Tebow, so he might get away with things that Tebow can't. He certainly doesn't seem to be as mentally fragile as Vince Young which was his achilles heel, and the comparisons to J Russell were pointless and can only be because both are big and black.

Obviously, there's plenty of work to be done and he's going to have a much harder path ahead now that teams realize they have to take him seriously as a QB. But you can't take away what an amazing debut he had personally, especially in light of all the doubters.

Well, I don't think he should have been drafted and not to speak to what DJ thinks but I'm speaking to him as a football player who looks like he's got some goods as opposed to a quality ff guy this year. He'll likely be too inconsistent to be of much use there but the Panthers did right it looks like making him the top pick.

Agreed. Full disclosure - I have on taxi in my main league, but I have no intention of pulling him off any time this year.

It was one of the main reasons though that made me pull the trigger on the ARZ/CAR game and I am thrilled I did. Win or lose, I think his performace this week will really help him through the growing pains that are sure to be on the way. I also think it gives the team the confidence that this does not have to be a "rebuilding" year. I am not saying that they will make play-offs, but that there is no reason not to play your ass off for this guy because you never know what's going to happen.

While he looked very good in his first outing, lets remember here that the Arizona gameplan was to stop Williams and Stewart with 8 men in the box (which they did rather successfully). Smith inexplicably saw a lot of man coverage, and kudos to him and Newton for making them pay.

I think we'll likely see a bit of same strategy for the next couple weeks, just to see if yesterday was real or an aberration.....and Newton may indeed continue to put up solid numbers over that time. But as teams begin to respect their passing game, and start dropping S/LBs into coverage, then we'll really see what the he can do.

The guy most excited should be DWill...the threat of a passing game should up more opportunities for him on the ground. He might be one of the best buy-low candidates right now.

Throw the preseason performances out. But also consider this is just one game. Still, I don't care who you are playing, for a rookie QB to put up over 400 yards in his first ever game? Come on, you can't say it's just because Arizona's defense stinks. You still have to make the plays when the defense opens the door for you.

This seems like a good week to buy low on Carolina RBs. They were supposed to be quality starts against a suspect AZ defense but did very little. Carolina won't ditch their bread and butter guys most weeks, and Newton appears to be good enough to at least keep defenses honest. Hopefully the Panther D is good enough to keep them from falling behind regularly though.

I would like to apologize to Cam Newton for calling him the love child of Jamarcus Russell and Akilli Smith with Rick Mirer as his god father! I was 100% wrong! His poise and accuracy impressed the hell out of me. Now i am not ready to put him in the hall of fame yet,but the kid can play in this league. thought i was watching Warren Moon at times. For Panther fans this had to be the best loss ever!

In fairness....are the Cardinals really an NFL team?

yes and will probably win the NFC west with a 9-7 record. Did AZ play bad? yes ......... Did it make Newton look better than he really is? Absolutely ........ was it still the best rookie debut in NFL history for a QB? Hell Yes!! ........................If i can admit i was wrong about him,why can't some of you?

yes and will probably win the NFC west with a 9-7 record. Did AZ play bad? yes ......... Did it make Newton look better than he really is? Absolutely ........ was it still the best rookie debut in NFL history for a QB? Hell Yes!! ........................If i can admit i was wrong about him,why can't some of you?

because Alex Smith has had some 300+ yard, 3 TD games, and he's a couple INT's away from getting me some extra ketchup for my fries.

It is still waaaay too early to anoint him anything....had he been terrible, I'd be defending calling him a bust, too.

Newton was a lot more accurate that I thought he could be any time soon... it was an amazing game for any rookie, and no one can take that away.

But consider that Arizona's defense was probably the worst in the league least last season... ranking 30th in points allowed and 29th in yards allowed... they were also starting two corner backs that have never started an NFL game before Sunday.

As BearBroncos pointed out, alotta the time Newton was standing back their waiting for guys to get open for ridiculous amount of space and time... at times reminded me of watching Kenny Stabler...

That said, I think the most impressive thing to take away from this is that it's apparent Newton has prepared very hard to learn his offense and time with his receivers.. obviously all these 1st rounders have a world of potential, but often it's their work ethic that keeps them from realizing it... Newton appears to be willing to put in the work.

Newton was a lot more accurate that I thought he could be any time soon... it was an amazing game for any rookie, and no one can take that away.

But consider that Arizona's defense was probably the worst in the league least last season... ranking 30th in points allowed and 29th in yards allowed... they were also starting two corner backs that have never started an NFL game before Sunday.

As BearBroncos pointed out, alotta the time Newton was standing back their waiting for guys to get open for ridiculous amount of space and time... at times reminded me of watching Kenny Stabler...

That said, I think the most impressive thing to take away from this is that it's apparent Newton has prepared very hard to learn his offense and time with his receivers.. obviously all these 1st rounders have a world of potential, but often it's their work ethic that keeps them from realizing it... Newton appears to be willing to put in the work.

This is the key, IMHO. Nice touch, and that is something they say you can't teach.

because Alex Smith has had some 300+ yard, 3 TD games, and he's a couple INT's away from getting me some extra ketchup for my fries.

It is still waaaay too early to anoint him anything....had he been terrible, I'd be defending calling him a bust, too.

That's another interesting one - sometimes people get it together with a change of venue. Well, Singletary to Harbaugh might just be what he needs and that bears watching as well.