[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Day After Cowboys Analysis

Cowboyz1

Well the morning after a very tough loss to the Jets, I find myself feeling more encouraged then disappointed and here's why. I know Romo made a serious blunder to lose the game but going into the game I was not expecting the game to go like it did.

First of all, the new O line played very good after they got settled down. Rookie Tyron Smith held his own and I noticed the line getting out on blocks and pulling better then they had in years. Nagy did a great job and Costa did well also. For them to go in to New York and for the most part give Romo time to go down field and not make a lot of mental mistakes is very encouraging.

Then I go to the Wide Outs. Bryant showed me tonight that he is a beast to deal with. However, he still has a way to go learning how important it is to be in the right spot. Had he not have been cramping he may well have taken over the game. I have watched that last pick a few times now and Romo thought he was going to come back to him and he was beating both corners to the ball all night. However, that throw should not have happened as they had him covered over and under and he was looking right at it. Rookie mistake and another judgment error by Romo.

Now the D is the most encouraging. Despite having three of our starting CB out the new kids held their own. I loved the play by McCray and the plays by Ball and Mccann. Rob Ryans D stopped the Run and made Sanchez night a long one. I am very encouraged by the pressure the Cowboys were able to dial up. I think the D will be very stout this year once our starters get back. Now the brightest spot on the D looks to be Sean Lee. This kid can play and it looks like he has taken over for Bradie James. He seemed to be everywhere, in coverage, in on tackles, had a great pick and fumble recovery. This kid is what Carpenter was suppose to be.

All in all for the Cowboys to have the game all but won on a very emotional night on the Road makes me feel disappointed yes but I went in to last night hopeing for improvement and keeping the game close. I wanted to see the D play tough and the Offensive line to keep Romo from getting killed while having a chance to win in the end.

I got way more then I expected but to have Romo give the game away like that just hurts. All the Jets needed was a spark with it being 9/11 in all, and Romo gave it to them. But to be in New York on that night, owning the game like we did, I have to feel pretty good about where the Team is at right now.

Maybe Garrett can limit Romo's blunders and maybe he can't but to play like we did most of the night with a make shift secondary and two blunders by our QB and a Rookie O line, I got to say I'm encouraged going into week 2.

Well the morning after a very tough loss to the Jets, I find myself feeling more encouraged then disappointed and here's why. I know Romo made a serious blunder to lose the game but going into the game I was not expecting the game to go like it did.

Just one?

I'd say the fumble on the goalline was the emotional spark that ignited the whole comeback in the first place. A FG there puts this game out of hand, and all he had to do was use his head and manage the game to a win.

Once you've seen a guy do this enough times, you have to realize that this is who he is. Garrett isn't going to be able to do anything about it. Romo will simply do boneheaded things from time to time. He also looks brilliant at times. He's not the only QB in the league that does this (i.e. Cutler, Eli) but for some reason his blunders always seem to be monumentously epic fails.

Unfortunately for you, as each week passes, Romo is getting closer and closer to being a guy we mainly remember for how he blew games, like the Seattle playoff loss. Last night was simply another chapter in that book.

Then I go to the Wide Outs. Bryant showed me tonight that he is a beast to deal with. However, he still has a way to go learning how important it is to be in the right spot. Had he not have been cramping he may well have taken over the game. I have watched that last pick a few times now and Romo thought he was going to come back to him and he was beating both corners to the ball all night. However, that throw should not have happened as they had him covered over and under and he was looking right at it. Rookie mistake and another judgment error by Romo.

This was not a rookie mistake IMO, it was a bad QB read. Revis was on Bryant and usually when Revis is on someone there is no help and that's what Romo assumed so he tried to back shoulder Bryant assuming Revis was going to have to follow Bryant but the play was Revis stop short because the safety was going to take over on coverage and as soon as Revis stopped the ball was coming his way...NO way for Bryant to react that fast to play defense.

IMO that was a perfectly played defense on that. If there was no safety help on Bryant, Revis can't just stop and hope that pass would come.

Just one?

I'd say the fumble on the goalline was the emotional spark that ignited the whole comeback in the first place. A FG there puts this game out of hand, and all he had to do was use his head and manage the game to a win.

Once you've seen a guy do this enough times, you have to realize that this is who he is. Garrett isn't going to be able to do anything about it. Romo will simply do boneheaded things from time to time. He also looks brilliant at times. He's not the only QB in the league that does this (i.e. Cutler, Eli) but for some reason his blunders always seem to be monumentously epic fails.

Unfortunately for you, as each week passes, Romo is getting closer and closer to being a guy we mainly remember for how he blew games, like the Seattle playoff loss. Last night was simply another chapter in that book.

Yep, were I a Cowboys fan, I'd have a hard time writing off the blunders that cost the game and "focus on the positives". It would be one thing if Romo was typically nails. Then you could say, "Well, I thought we'd have trouble in the secondary and O-line, which were great. And how many times is Romo going to end up costing us the game?" If it was NE or something and any questionable parts of their game were solid and Brady ended up choking.

But, I just don't see how a Dallas fan can take that approach with Romo.

This was not a rookie mistake IMO, it was a bad QB read. Revis was on Bryant and usually when Revis is on someone there is no help and that's what Romo assumed so he tried to back shoulder Bryant assuming Revis was going to have to follow Bryant but the play was Revis stop short because the safety was going to take over on coverage and as soon as Revis stopped the ball was coming his way...NO way for Bryant to react that fast to play defense.

IMO that was a perfectly played defense on that. If there was no safety help on Bryant, Revis can't just stop and hope that pass would come.

I agree but watching Bryant gimp around he couldn't cut and Romo should have known that. Bryant was suppose to stop but he lolly gagged the route and let Revis undercut him. Still the ball should not have been thrown there.

Romo makes some of the finest throws and if he could just error on the side of caution he could be great. I mean some of those throws he made last night were just spot on. In fact most of them where on the money. He just needs to stop trying to do so much and let the game come to him. If he figures that out the O can play with anyone. THAT is a BIG IF though given he's done exactly what he did last night time and time again. I pray the light comes on.

The thing Romo has to worry about now and concerns me most is losing his teamates. Think about it. Nobody made any serious mistakes but him and he's suppose to be your leader and one of your most veteran players. Witten is one of his best friends on the team and something tells me their gonna have a serious talk.

I can't find a serious error that anyone else made last night but him. Fumbling kills period. Can't have it.

Hopefully the team wises him up.

Serious question here for Cowboy fans.

How many times is your team going to come up small in a big spot and how many times are your players going to make dumb mistakes in a big spot?

I mean clearly Romo is missing that certain something wouldn't you agree? Too many times he has made the big mistake in a big spot for it not to be a trend.

And please don't take this as ripping into the Cowboys. I am trying to get a serious answer from you guys.

And please don't make this about the Giants. We stink. We will win 5 games tops. We know it. Nothing to see here.

The thing Romo has to worry about now and concerns me most is losing his teamates. Think about it. Nobody made any serious mistakes but him and he's suppose to be your leader and one of your most veteran players. Witten is one of his best friends on the team and something tells me their gonna have a serious talk.

I can't find a serious error that anyone else made last night but him. Fumbling kills period. Can't have it.

Hmmm... there might have been a special teams mistake made in the 4th quarter... I'd have to go back to the game logs to look though. :wacko:

Tells him to stop fumbling with the game on the line? I'm going to assume that he is already aware of that.

That's the problem, if a guy is fragile enough to choke like he does, he's too fragile to lean on and fix it. Because now he's gonna start gripping. He's going to start thinking, "Don't fumble, don't fumble, don't fumble."

All you can do with a guy like that is pat him on the back, tell him to shake it off, and hope for the best because you can't fix problems like that by getting in a dude's face. If he's a young player who makes a stupid mistake, maybe you can scare him straight, but this is a guy who knows, first hand, the consequences of screwing up something as simple as holding the ball for a FG, so he doesn't need the, "One of these times, you being careless is going to cost us a game!" talk. He already knows that. Or, at least should.

Serious question here for Cowboy fans.

How many times is your team going to come up small in a big spot and how many times are your players going to make dumb mistakes in a big spot?

I mean clearly Romo is missing that certain something wouldn't you agree? Too many times he has made the big mistake in a big spot for it not to be a trend.

And please don't take this as ripping into the Cowboys. I am trying to get a serious answer from you guys.

And please don't make this about the Giants. We stink. We will win 5 games tops. We know it. Nothing to see here.

We cant answer it. We clearly think his decision making will someday catch up with his talent when obviously there is zero chance that will happen.

I like the Cowboys under garret and I was encouraged by some of the things I saw last night. We took it to a top AFC contender on the road with our 3rd string secondary and a gmipy wr but it all goes down the drain once again because Romo choked again. Its quite unbelievable. The year we won a playoff game and beat the Egales in the playoffs I though he might have turned the corner a litlle but the guy flat out chokes late. I would trade off some of his ability for some field smarts and killer instinct any day of the week.

We cant answer it. We clearly think his decision making will someday catch up with his talent when obviously there is zero chance that will happen.

I like the Cowboys under garret and I was encouraged by some of the things I saw last night. We took it to a top AFC contender on the road with our 3rd string secondary and a gmipy wr but it all goes down the drain once again because Romo choked again. Its quite unbelievable. The year we won a playoff game and beat the Egales in the playoffs I though he might have turned the corner a litlle but the guy flat out chokes late. I would trade off some of his ability for some field smarts and killer instinct any day of the week.

Very fair. Just always seems like there is something.

Every year they are picked to do well, and for the past 10-15 years they have done nothing. Becomes funny after a while IMO.

These types of threads are always started about the Cowboys. Lost a tough one but....seems to be a real common theme.

Now I agree in general. I like the team under Garrett. I think they have talent. It just always seems to be the same ending for you guys.

When you see how the Cowboys lost last night I think the only comment you can think of is SAME OLD COWBOYS. Nothing else to say really.

And for as much talent as Romo has, and you can't put up the numbers he does and not have talent, it really doesn't matter one drop if he continues to be overwhelmed by the big spot/moment.

Edited by giantsfan

Giants fan - whomper sums up my feelings exactly. You're absolutely right - this team is going nowhere special with turnover Tony at the helm. The D played their respective asses off. They gave up what - 17 points? Everything else is that one special teams breakdown (and that's an aberration I think) and turnover Tony pissing away the game. Look at the Superbowl teams from the last 10 or even 20 years. They have great, smart QB play - and Dilfer is the exception that proves the rule IMO. Turnover Tony shoulda had that ball in his gut with both arms covering it when he's diving at the goal line. And I don't know what the heck he was seeing when he threw that pick. That game should have been out of reach, but thanks to his sheer lack of football awareness the 'boys have a bad L instead of what should have been a surprise W to start the season.

Not that I am ever one to forgo a chance to pile on a Romo-bashing thread, but some of the blame here needs to go to Garrett, too.

One of the things a coach needs to do is learn to put his players in a position to win. Garrett did just that for 50 minutes last night, and his team responded beautifully. The nail was in the coffin, and it just needed to be hammered in. 1st and goal from the 4 yards line after that hugh Witten catch and run. Run right behind the fullback and pulling guard for an easy 3 yards. 2nd down and 1....pass? OK, I can live with it, but then come back and run the thing in on 3rd down (and if necessary, 4th).

He called two consecutive pass plays from the 1 yard-line? With a QB prone to turning it over in critical spots? This after your offense picked up an easy 3 yards in its short-yardage package? I am sure the offensive line felt a tad disrespected that the head coach didn't believe they could move the pile and pick up a yard, given they had just gotten three yards on the prior play and had another 3 chances to do so

Seemed very very odd...

Does this thread really matter since it is obvious that the NFC East will be owned by the Redskins this year?

::ducks because of flying beer cans, tables, chairs, pets, midgets, bricks and general debris from the rest of the NFC East team's fans::

Okay, okay, chill :wacko::tup:

Romo clearly has the talent to be an NFL QB but by all appearances lacks the mental fortitude to be an NFL QB. He crumbles under pressure making critical errors at big moments in the game. With the 4th quarter winding down and the Cowboys knocking on the door for another score to give the Cowboys a pretty comfortable lead Romo should have been FOCUSED on ball control. He should have known that at that point in the game a FG is just as good as a TD - so taking a sack is no big deal. Losing the ball and getting no points is a big deal and a potential game changer.

All the talent in the world but no ability to play under pressure. That doesn't sound like the type of QB any team wants. Having said that I'm not sure what the Cowboys can do at this point - surely McKee is not the answer.

I'm not going to pile on too hard, because as I've said many times, I find Romo as a likable fellow. But the Cowboys have a pretty good window of talent at the moment, and I'd be afraid of squandering that talent while waiting for Romo to figure this stuff out. I'd think Garrett is as equipped to fix him as just about anybody out there right now, but if he can't get it done quickly, the Cowboys in my opinion would be best served to come up with a plan B sooner than later. I don't think you can win big with Romo. The guy just invents new ways to lose big games pretty consistently.

The nail was in the coffin, and it just needed to be hammered in. 1st and goal from the 4 yards line after that hugh Witten catch and run. Run right behind the fullback and pulling guard for an easy 3 yards. 2nd down and 1....pass? OK, I can live with it, but then come back and run the thing in on 3rd down (and if necessary, 4th).

end of thread :wacko:

Not that I am ever one to forgo a chance to pile on a Romo-bashing thread, but some of the blame here needs to go to Garrett, too.

One of the things a coach needs to do is learn to put his players in a position to win. Garrett did just that for 50 minutes last night, and his team responded beautifully. The nail was in the coffin, and it just needed to be hammered in. 1st and goal from the 4 yards line after that hugh Witten catch and run. Run right behind the fullback and pulling guard for an easy 3 yards. 2nd down and 1....pass? OK, I can live with it, but then come back and run the thing in on 3rd down (and if necessary, 4th).

He called two consecutive pass plays from the 1 yard-line? With a QB prone to turning it over in critical spots? This after your offense picked up an easy 3 yards in its short-yardage package? I am sure the offensive line felt a tad disrespected that the head coach didn't believe they could move the pile and pick up a yard, given they had just gotten three yards on the prior play and had another 3 chances to do so

Seemed very very odd...

:wacko::tup: Yup!

One week before this game the majority of football fans voted in favor of the Jets winning at home on 9/11. As a Cowboy fan I even voted so in the weekly pick 'em. I am encourages by our D Backs and O-Line. We need to be healthy, but I feel that our chances are good for a divisional run against the Eagles. 10 winswould be average to above average for Dallas.

Seemed very very odd...

OH YOU ARE SO right ON. I forgot to mention this. What the hell was Garrett thinking. I mean you got a bunch of young bucks that are so FIRED up that Witten just basically won the game. You had everything on your side there. O line was ready, Felix was ready and the ONLY thing that loses the game is a turnover. Why not let them pin their ears back and plow the road three times. Worst case you kick an extra point three and win. Best case you plow in for 7 and win. Best Best case you plow in with Felix Jones with on a shuffle pass up the middle and I get double points for passing TD and Felix TD catch.

Just don't get the scramble for a fumble play. Just don't get it.

Edited by Cowboyz1