[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamaal Charles owners

The Waterboy

I don't usually handcuff, but this year screamed for it with zero draft interest in Thomas Jones out there and a thin RB talent pool, IMO.

And after week one, I see why. The handcuff that makes more sense (barring current positional eligibility) is McCluster, not Jones, no? Wouldn't he be a better fit for the packages that usually would be used for Jamaal Charles?

My only concern is that McCluster is just "too small" to be used in the same way and neither is a really good handcuff. A loss of Charles would be a muddling mix of uncertainty.

I'm curious what other Charles owners and Chiefs fans think. I just dropped Jones for McCluster.

It is a tough call. I think that you get a better read by watching a game rather that seeing the box score. (Like someone getting an end-around and it going as a rush) And I didn't see the game at all. I have Charles and someone drafted Jones before I could handcuff him, but they just dropped him. I have to believe that based on last year, if Charles went down that Jones would step in for the bulk of carries. It could get very messy with Dexter in the mix though and might split. I will still prob pick up Jones for safe keeping, but keep a close eye on who is getting the carries going forward.

If Charles keeps fumbling, it WILL be Jones.

But like I said, this Chiefs team is lost. They have a guy calling plays who's like 98 years old, Haley may start calling them again but who knows, the team is woefully unprepared, and the defense stinks.

There's some bad sauce around Arrowhead these days.

I can't believe how down the Chiefs fans are, guys it's one game. This team has potential, don't give up. Did you see the Broncos/Raiders game? Those teams suck!

I agree with you Lippy, which is why I was asking. Kind of the way the Pats use Woodhead and BGE, I could see the Chiefs working Jones and McCluster. McCluster to me is like a scat/back/gimmick player, but without Charles I feel like he's could be regularly good for a lot of 10-15 touch games, with maybe a score. Maybe that's wishful.

I can't believe how down the Chiefs fans are, guys it's one game. This team has potential, don't give up.

This team has no depth. The front seven is not good. Teams are going to be going up and down on this defense all year.

Look, anyone around here knows I have never been a blind homer. The Chiefs won last year due to a soft schedule and Charlie Weiss massaging this offense to squeeze out what he could. Haley and his gambling style eventually comes back to haunt you, and he got away with a lot of crap last year. And then this year, he scripts training camp with NO HITTING, and the Chiefs are paying for it because they have been getting their asses kicked in the trenches since day one of the preseason.

Pioli has blown the Jackson pick, so the D-line is in trouble with no depth at all. He has barely drafted any fat guys for the lines, and as muck's grandmas always said, you need more fat guys.

I thought 5 wins this year. It may be 3.

With all due respect to Chief Dick, you sound like a pretty rabid Chiefs fan and follower and know your sh*t about the team. However i can probably speak for the Waterboy in saying that as Jamaal Charles owners, we don't really care about the Chiefs D or how many wins they get. In some cases, great fantasy players play on crappy teams with crappy coaches. All I care about is Charles getting his touches, and if he gets hurt, who will pick them up. He is a top 5 pick for a reason and he must be started with confidence at least now. From his short body of work...I think he will make the most out of his touches regardless of how good the team actually is. But some things that you mentioned that could hurt are:

1. Chiefs getting behind often and abandoning the run 2.Jamaals case of fumble-itis in recent weeks.

Tuvey gave the OL a B-. There were much worse teams out there. Sometimes fans are the toughest critics, it makes sense.

Kind of OT. Anyway, Charles still is a viable option on a bad team, I'm sure no one will dispute. He'll get touches in the run game, the pass game, so long as they're not going 3 and out all the time, and I just don't see that happening.

If they aren't capable of playing ball-control and have to air it out - hell, I think I like McCluster even better as the handcuff than Jones....if there is one on what's perceived by some to be a really bad team.

Thanks for your replies, all.

If Charles keeps fumbling, it WILL be Jones.

But like I said, this Chiefs team is lost. They have a guy calling plays who's like 98 years old, Haley may start calling them again but who knows, the team is woefully unprepared, and the defense stinks.

There's some bad sauce around Arrowhead these days.

This! :wacko: Gonna be a LONG year as a Chiefs fan. :tup:

You're overthinking the handcuff of Charles. McCluster is in to give Charles a break, but if Charles went down, it would be Jones coming in and getting most of the touches. McCluster is playing the Reggie Bush role right now, and he'd be doing that no matter if it was Charles or Jones getting the majority of the carries. McCluster (5'8", 170lbs) just isn't big enough to be a full time back. Jones is the handcuff for Charles.

I watched the Bills game in it's entirety, and I don't even remember seeing Jones. McCluster was in there to relieve Charles (and Haley used him more after Charles fumbled). I'm not sure if that changes if Charles gets hurt, though, because McCluster doesn't seem like the workhorse.

Here is the interesting thing about McCluster, though. If you're in an ESPN league, McCluster is listed as a RB/WR. In a deeper league, it's hard to find consistent WR3s. If McCluster continues to produce, he's a really nice addition for a WR3 spot. I've already stashed him on my bench in the deeper leagues for that purpose.

I've handcuffed Charles by stacking my bench with RBs with potential on other teams.

Jones will not perform if given the full load. McCluster would probably see a very small uptick in touches out of necessity, but his value would remain about the same. That value may prove to be flex-worthy if your league uses one, though.