[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FAAB money

BrooklynCrew

What are people's strategies around FAAB spending? Do you jump on guys with new roles or hot starts and hope to mine that diamond in the rough? Or do you hold tight with your draft and wait for late season position changes?

I tend to spend early and shore up holes right away, hoping to mine gold.

Last year in one of my leagues, a guy spent his entire season's $ on Vick in week 3. He won the league.

What are people's strategies around FAAB spending? Do you jump on guys with new roles or hot starts and hope to mine that diamond in the rough? Or do you hold tight with your draft and wait for late season position changes?

I tend to spend early and shore up holes right away, hoping to mine gold.

Last year in one of my leagues, a guy spent his entire season's $ on Vick in week 3. He won the league.

Well, if he waited and had all his money left to make the big move in week 3, maybe you should wait a week and see what happens. Unless there is somebody that my gut tells me I HAVE to have, I think I will be playing cheapskate in week 1 this year. Maybe see what shakes out of the week one cuts, or try to grab someone on the cheap. I don't see anybody in any of my FA$ leagues that blow me away, but I have a couple of DEAD roster spots that need a warm body so I'm sure I will be in there somewhat. And then there is always the theory of cock-blocking an opponent that needs a certain player, and that must be taken into concideration if that team is an otherwise strong one and poses a threat.

I guess there is just no pat answer for that question. But as an overall strategy I advise lying in the weeds a bit in week one. Maybe look where others aren't looking.

All 3 of my leagues are blind bidding now (traditional waivers seems to be going away)... in one league, somebody dropped Starks (no idea why) in the first round of pickups before week 1, so he will be the big waiver spend there. Not sure how much he goes for, but it will be high. The other leagues there doesn't seem to be a 'big' name... other than Cam Newton in a long term keeper format...

My philosophy has always had people in 3 groups, and I structure my bids accordingly... never really thought about quantifying the allocation, but I'll try to, to see if I can make it make sense.

Group 1- less popular or deeper sleepers & marginal players that are better than the scrubs on the end of my bench or to replace an injury.

This week guys that might fit this category for me would be guys like McCluster, Brian Hartline, or stashing a handcuff like Isaac Redman. For guys like this I rarely go more than a couple bucks on a $100 cap.

Group 2- Somebody who has showed something over the last couple weeks, or a short-term fill in who should be money.

This week Caddy might fit, depending on the SJax prognosis, D. Henderson, R. Meachem, D. Branch are all out there in my 10-teamer. For these types if it's a guy I really want I might look towards $8-20 against 100 cap.

Group 3- Somebody who through injury or just role change has now taken over the #1 spot on their depth chart and projects to stay there for the season and put up numbers.

This week Caddy would be here if SJax season were over. Tends to be handcuffs that "should" be on a team, but aren't because we're only a 10 teamer. Somebody like Hardesty if Hillis went out for the year, guys like Harrison 2 years ago in Cle, Torain when he took over last year...

I always try to have a healthy chunk for that "one" pickup maybe 30-60 of a 100 cap.

I tend to be slightly cautious early, and then closer to mid-season get a little more liberal since there's no sense in not getting guys you want and having cap money left over at the end.

My philosophy has always had people in 3 groups, and I structure my bids accordingly... never really thought about quantifying the allocation, but I'll try to, to see if I can make it make sense.

Group 1- less popular or deeper sleepers & marginal players that are better than the scrubs on the end of my bench or to replace an injury.

This week guys that might fit this category for me would be guys like McCluster, Brian Hartline, or stashing a handcuff like Isaac Redman. For guys like this I rarely go more than a couple bucks on a $100 cap.

Group 2- Somebody who has showed something over the last couple weeks, or a short-term fill in who should be money.

This week Caddy might fit, depending on the SJax prognosis, D. Henderson, R. Meachem, D. Branch are all out there in my 10-teamer. For these types if it's a guy I really want I might look towards $8-20 against 100 cap.

Group 3- Somebody who through injury or just role change has now taken over the #1 spot on their depth chart and projects to stay there for the season and put up numbers.

This week Caddy would be here if SJax season were over. Tends to be handcuffs that "should" be on a team, but aren't because we're only a 10 teamer. Somebody like Hardesty if Hillis went out for the year, guys like Harrison 2 years ago in Cle, Torain when he took over last year...

I always try to have a healthy chunk for that "one" pickup maybe 30-60 of a 100 cap.

I tend to be slightly cautious early, and then closer to mid-season get a little more liberal since there's no sense in not getting guys you want and having cap money left over at the end.

This being my first year that any of my leagues are using a blind bidding waiver system, I am completely lost (no pun intended) on average bids. :tup:

I am assuming you have been using blind bidding for a bit in your leagues and have some insight, and from your response, it looks like for highly sought after pick-ups owners spend around 50% on average of their cap and for less sought after players, they may spend about 15%? :rofl:

I know this is tough to answer since there are probably some outragious (unusual bets) bids and not all bidding is the same, but I really need a starting point. I really can't imagine spending so much on a pick-up in the first round, but if the player is worth it, it might not be a bad idea. I don't see any significant total game changers this week, but with the injury bug snatching so many victims so far, a pick-up or 2 may be a necessity. :wacko:

I am assuming that after week 1, bids typically come back down to earth after everyone has tested the waters so to speak?

Anyone have some additional insight on this? :lol: Thanks in advance!

This being my first year that any of my leagues are using a blind bidding waiver system, I am completely lost (no pun intended) on average bids. :tup:

I am assuming you have been using blind bidding for a bit in your leagues and have some insight, and from your response, it looks like for highly sought after pick-ups owners spend around 50% on average of their cap and for less sought after players, they may spend about 15%? :rofl:

I know this is tough to answer since there are probably some outragious (unusual bets) bids and not all bidding is the same, but I really need a starting point. I really can't imagine spending so much on a pick-up in the first round, but if the player is worth it, it might not be a bad idea. I don't see any significant total game changers this week, but with the injury bug snatching so many victims so far, a pick-up or 2 may be a necessity. :wacko:

I am assuming that after week 1, bids typically come back down to earth after everyone has tested the waters so to speak?

Anyone have some additional insight on this? :lol: Thanks in advance!

It really helps to know your league mates on this question. I've been playing several years with my crowd, so I do know tendencies. In my 12 team keeper with a $250 cap, i can see Starks going for anywhere from 30-75$ ... especially for a couple teams with RB needs. A bigger bid wouldn't surprise me. My other leagues won't see bids over $30 (I don't think) on anybody currently available. Kicker's and D's will go for 1-5$ depending on need. But again, knowing your league tendencies really helps. This first time around is a guessing game for your whole league.

Unless there's a big name on your wire, I'd guess the bids are low at first to feel out what people are willing to pay. In one of my leagues, I have a couple 'early big spenders'... and several other 'hoarders', who hang onto their cash for late season shots. I know at least 2 owners who won't bid much of anything in the first 4 games.

I tend to buy early and grab somebody before they skyrocket in price - this is not an exact science.

I'm in a FAAB 14 team keeper league with 15 roster spots and no defense and no kicker. Do the math, the FA pool is completely dried up. I'm spending money on anybody and everybody semi relevant. I spent $33 on Devery Henderson! The league thinks Im crazy but this is our first year doing this and I dont think they understand, a good pick up is going to be extremely rare. Almost all the back up are on peoples rosters already.

This being my first year that any of my leagues are using a blind bidding waiver system, I am completely lost (no pun intended) on average bids. :wacko:

I am assuming you have been using blind bidding for a bit in your leagues and have some insight, and from your response, it looks like for highly sought after pick-ups owners spend around 50% on average of their cap and for less sought after players, they may spend about 15%? :tup:

Follow up to the OP... keep in mind this is 10 teams 16 roster spots, so there tends to be some available players.

2 teams bid on Cadillac Williams, one at $26, one at $7

2 teams bid on Aaron Hernandez, both at $9

2 bids for Meachem, $22 and $9

Dion Branch had a single bid for $7

all of this on $100 cap for the season. Our league has finally started to "get it" a little bit more lately. 5 years ago me and one other guy were the only ones who ever came close to spending their cap. Now the rest are starting to catch up a little bit, and if you see something you like, don't be afraid to go after it.