[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who's gonna win?

Scooby

both have some key injuries--Koppen for the Pats, Tolbert for SD--well, tolbert said he's fine & gonna "dance" on sunday...both have excellent weapons on offense, I'm not too sure of the defenses/ST's ,dont have enough in-depth knowledge of either to make a comparison? I just know that NE lost me fantasy points last wk, while SD got me 1 point in another league...So maybe I'll just just predict the home team win? (really I am asking input to help me with my pick-em's) TIA:))))

By the way, I like the team defense scoring of Any Given Sunday, I think it's based on DMD's philosophy. We adopted it in our local league as well. Better reflects team defense efforts IMO :thumbsup:

Well, the Patriots are gonna win the game. The defense got wrecked on MNF last week and they are much better than they played. McCourty is gonna have a nice rebound game, if not I will actually be somewhat concerned about him.

I see Brady and the no-huddle offense he ran against the Dolphins killing the Chargers defense and Rivers won't be able to keep up...

just curious, what is the "team defense scoring of Any Given Sunday"? Can I get a link to it or a description or something? thansk

Rules for Def Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Opponent Number of Passing TDs 1-10 -3 points each

Opponent Number of Rushing TDs 1-10 -3 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 1-10 2 points each Test

Interceptions Caught 1-10 2 points each Test

Sacked a QB 0-99 1 point for every 3 Test

Safeties 1-10 2 points each Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 0-150 10 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 151-250 5 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 251-350 0 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 351-400 -5 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 401-500 -10 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 501-999 -15 Test

Number of Special Teams TDs Allowed 0-10 -3 points each Test

Number of Defensive & Special Teams TDs 1-10 6 points each Test

AGS above, docked for passing TD's, yards allowed

Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Number of Punt Return TDs 1-999999 6 points each Test

Punt Return Yards -9999-9999 0.1 point for every 2 Test

Number of Kickoff Return TDs 0-100 6 points each Test

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 0-99 2 points each Test

Interceptions Caught 0-99 3 points each Test

Blocked Field Goals 0-10 2 points each Test

Blocked Punts 0-10 2 points each Test

Blocked Extra Points 0-10 1 point each Test

Sacked a QB 0-9999 1.0 point each Test

Safeties 0-10 2 points each Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 0-225 6 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 226-299 3 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 300-350 0 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 351-425 -4 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 426-9999 -7 Test

Number of Offensive TDs Allowed 0-100 -3 points each Test

Local league above with a few variations, such as punt return yards

Rules for Def Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Opponent Number of Passing TDs 1-10 -3 points each

Opponent Number of Rushing TDs 1-10 -3 points each

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 1-10 2 points each Test

Interceptions Caught 1-10 2 points each Test

Sacked a QB 0-99 1 point for every 3 Test

Safeties 1-10 2 points each Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 0-150 10 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 151-250 5 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 251-350 0 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 351-400 -5 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 401-500 -10 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 501-999 -15 Test

Number of Defensive & Special Teams TDs 1-10 6 points each Test

AGS above, docked for passing TD's, yards allowed

Event Range (Low-High) Points Test?

Number of Punt Return TDs 1-999999 6 points each Test

Punt Return Yards -9999-9999 0.1 point for every 2 Test

Number of Kickoff Return TDs 0-100 6 points each Test

Fumble Recoveries (from Opponent) 0-99 2 points each Test

Interceptions Caught 0-99 3 points each Test

Blocked Field Goals 0-10 2 points each Test

Blocked Punts 0-10 2 points each Test

Blocked Extra Points 0-10 1 point each Test

Sacked a QB 0-9999 1.0 point each Test

Safeties 0-10 2 points each Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 0-225 6 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 226-299 3 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 300-350 0 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 351-425 -4 Test

Total Net Yards Allowed 426-9999 -7 Test

Number of Offensive TDs Allowed 0-100 -3 points each Test

Local league above with a few variations, such as punt return yards

My local did this a few years back, but scaled the scoring down. Too dramatic imo.

"The Chargers will outplay the Patriots decisively and find a way to lose. Heck, they almost lost a game where they held the opposing QB to 39 passing yards and had four straight drives totaling about 280 yards (seven points). The problem with San Diego is that if they play great, they could lose. And if they play mediocre or bad, they probably will. The championship level teams need to be the opposite - when they play mediocre or bad, they could win. When good teams play well, they should win by two or three scores and never really be threatened." - Michael Safino from his weekly Breakfast Table column

Can't say I agree more. Chargers might outplay the Pats, but the Pats will outcoach the Chargers - and win.

Chargers lost Castillo with a broken leg. Not good at all.

Chargers tend to play down to their opponent if the oppoent is bad. Chargers find a way to blow the game against good to great teams.

Always seem to be playing the Patriots in NE too. Brady has the Chargers' number. Maybe this is the year, but I'm not betting on it.

thnx all for input--the more I read the more I think the Chargers are the Cowboys of the AFC--from the stacked offense, questionable defense, and coaching staff with Cowboys roots.... Well, could be a good game, just like my bi-polar Cowboys, you never know what will happen. Happy football season all:))))) Best of luck with your homers and FF!!

I find it interesting that on the "start / bench" section, the Chargers have higher S values than the Pats.

I'm looking forward to this game and have a good feeling the Chargers can win. You talk about the Chargers keeping up, but this is a good weather game and Rivers & crew is much more than what Miami brought. The Bolt D is also better than Miami and Welker is not breaking a 99 yarder this game, no-huddle or not. A shootout favors the Chargers in this game.

Where the no-huddle becomes a help to the Pats will be with NT Garay getting winded, but this means running at the Bolt D (which had issues with the run in pre-season and in the first half of the Viking game). Look for BellICheat to figure out a way to sustain a ground game through four quarters. I think the best strategy for the Pats is to run out the clock, shorten the game and be the disciplined team they are. This way, they can take better advantage of Charger errors. I don't think the Pats want to try to outscore the Chargers in a passing game Bonanza as this plays into the Chargers strength.

Remember (yes both teams are different in some ways), Rivers on one knee, Gates on one foot and no LT in cold weather almost pulled that Championship game out.

I actually believe a shootout favors the Chargers and am hopin for that. The Bolt D is better than the Pats D, especially in the pass and should get more stops in this scenario than a Pats D with clear issues against the pass. Donovan is not Tom, but the Bolt D held him to under 40 yards passing. Donovan was way more effective when he pulled the ball down and took off, something Brady is not known for anymore. A game of attrition and grinding it out, eating the clock and playing keep away favors the more disciplined Pats. The Pats have the TEs and Welker to convert the third downs and keep the chains moving. Rivers and Company can get impatient and try to force things and this is where the Pats take advantage, especially in a shortened game where mistakes are amplified.

In this scenario, Pats 23 - Boltz 17

In a shootout, Boltz 41 - Pats 37

In tweener game where the grind it out game gets or has to be abandoned by the Pats,

Pick 'em. 34-31

I think McBoog forgot that Novak is kicking. Special teams and kicking are the Chargers worst areas. Do you really want to give Brady a shortened field multiple times a game?

Give NE 3 points for home field + 3 more for at least 1 missed FG.

I'm wishful, but not expecting the Chargers to win.

I think McBoog forgot that Novak is kicking. Special teams and kicking are the Chargers worst areas. Do you really want to give Brady a shortened field multiple times a game?

Give NE 3 points for home field + 3 more for at least 1 missed FG.

I'm wishful, but not expecting the Chargers to win.

This really bothers me that the Chargers have not signed an experienced kicker yet. Freaken AJ Smith here we go again.

This really bothers me that the Chargers have not signed an experienced kicker yet. Freaken AJ Smith here we go again.

Dave Rayner did a nice job with the Lions last year. I half expected them to keep him over Jason Hanson but he was cut. I wondered about him when I read the Kaeding was out for the year.

One name: Tom Brady.

Two Words: Turn Overs

The Chargers turned the ball over on FOUR consecutive possessions last year. You do that against the Pats, you lose and that is why I think they should game plan for the Boltz as I outlined above. The Chargers can get sloppy at times.

I don't see four turnovers this time around.

The Chargers also held "Tom Brady" to less than a buck fifty last year. Brady does not have his best games against the Chargers and they have the corners and LBs to mess things up (Shawn Phillips is overlooked for his ability to take a tight end out of his routs and is thought of more as a pure pass rusher :tup: ).

I am not really concerned about Novak. He struggled early in the NFL but has been working with some great coaches, was on fire during camp and his tryout (clearly outkicked the others in the tryout) and showed last year in a B league some real accuracy and distance. I don't think you can "give" the Chargers a missed FG, though he is clearly not Nate.

I think the Pats should be favored, the 7 seems a little high to me considering they were outplayed in SD last year (apart from the TOs). Ironically, that game came down to a clanked FG to tie it up and the Pats were clearly reeling at that point. They couldn't move the ball and the Chragers were moving at will in the second half.

Newb :wacko:

I don't like the west coast team all the way out east.

I don't like a team with a propensity for turn overs.

Against Brady I like defensive tackles that can get some push up the middle. It hurts that S.D. just lost a bit of a force in the middle.

I think Mayo and Woodhead come big this week. I like the Patriots in this one. This is not to discount S.D., this is just not going to be their week, I.M.O.(If S.D. does somehow win they will or should shoot up th epower ranking charts. This is a tough test for a west coast team.)

Two Words: Turn Overs

The Chargers turned the ball over on FOUR consecutive possessions last year. You do that against the Pats, you lose and that is why I think they should game plan for the Boltz as I outlined above. The Chargers can get sloppy at times.

I don't see four turnovers this time around.

The Chargers also held "Tom Brady" to less than a buck fifty last year. Brady does not have his best games against the Chargers and they have the corners and LBs to mess things up (Shawn Phillips is overlooked for his ability to take a tight end out of his routs and is thought of more as a pure pass rusher :tup: ).

I am not really concerned about Novak. He struggled early in the NFL but has been working with some great coaches, was on fire during camp and his tryout (clearly outkicked the others in the tryout) and showed last year in a B league some real accuracy and distance. I don't think you can "give" the Chargers a missed FG, though he is clearly not Nate.

I think the Pats should be favored, the 7 seems a little high to me considering they were outplayed in SD last year (apart from the TOs). Ironically, that game came down to a clanked FG to tie it up and the Pats were clearly reeling at that point. They couldn't move the ball and the Chragers were moving at will in the second half.

Newb :wacko:

Why are you guys killing this dude...you are gonna look REALLY dumb yourself when Brady throws for 300 yds 3 tds 0 int and romp the chargers 30-17 later on today...