[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone ever smoke a whole beef tenderloin?

matt770

Got a Weber Performer as a housewarming gift to myself and have been using it constantly. So far have done steaks, two pork butts (insanely good), and two whole chickens (ditto). Next is brisket this weekend, just grabbed a nice one at Costco and plan to smoke it all day tomorrow. While I was there I noticed their whole tenderloins and wondered if they are a good choice for slow cooking/smoking. Anyone ever attempt this?

Never tried it before but I'm guessing since it's a pretty lean cut and already tender you probably don't need to smoke it that long.

I would probably smoke it at a pretty low temp (200 or so) for about an hour or until it's almost rare then give it a sear on a high temp grill

Makes sense. The pork butt is so incredible smoked because it's loaded with fat, keeping it moist. Guess I'll stick with the traditional cuts for smoking and not go too nuts with experimenting. Still gonna buy a whole tenderloin and cut it into steaks, it's a great value. I saw they sell ribeye the same way.

Dammit...the brisket I bought is pretty lean, all the fat is trimmed off and there is not much marbling. Guess I'll have to keep basting it?

This is a lot of fun but I have a bit to learn yet.

Makes sense. The pork butt is so incredible smoked because it's loaded with fat, keeping it moist. Guess I'll stick with the traditional cuts for smoking and not go too nuts with experimenting. Still gonna buy a whole tenderloin and cut it into steaks, it's a great value. I saw they sell ribeye the same way.

Dammit...the brisket I bought is pretty lean, all the fat is trimmed off and there is not much marbling. Guess I'll have to keep basting it?

This is a lot of fun but I have a bit to learn yet.

Yeah, that's the one thing you always have to watch with a brisket. Make sure it has the nice fat cap on the top. As jetsfan says, you can always lay strips of bacon over the top, and that will help for sure.

Never tried to smoke one. I think the low fat content mentioned by others would be a concern. The meat is dense and so I'd expect some different flavor from one end to the middle.

One note about costco whole tenderloins....you can buy them trimmed (without side meat) or with the head roast still on. Never understood why someone would pay more for less meat. Cleaning is a pretty simple process and you might start by just smoking the head roast and seeing what the results are like. If it works for you, then throw the whole tenderloin on. And you still have the chain to use for steak sandwiches.

I wouldn't call it a true smoke, but I have grilled whole tenderloins in the Egg at high temp and added smoke to the eqiation. Obviously, it's not a penetrating smoke, but it does make the edges that much more tasty and really adds to the flavor of the drippings.

I wouldn't call it a true smoke, but I have grilled whole tenderloins in the Egg at high temp and added smoke to the eqiation. Obviously, it's not a penetrating smoke, but it does make the edges that much more tasty and really adds to the flavor of the drippings.

Interesting...high temp the whole time, direct/indirect, approx. time to cook? I'll bet if you keep a thin layer of fat on and just sear the crap out of it for 10 minutes and then cook off to the side at around 250 until the internal temp is right, man, that's gotta be tasty. I'm going to OD on red meat this fall, I can see it happening already.

Interesting...high temp the whole time, direct/indirect, approx. time to cook? I'll bet if you keep a thin layer of fat on and just sear the crap out of it for 10 minutes and then cook off to the side at around 250 until the internal temp is right, man, that's gotta be tasty. I'm going to OD on red meat this fall, I can see it happening already.

I cranked the Egg to 700+, seared on all sides and removed for a minute to add some hickory for flavor and put the plate setter in place (Egg means of indirect heat). Let her burn full boil for 15 minutes then shut the airflow down on both ends. Pulled it off at 130 degrees dead center - total cook time was maybe 20-22 minutes. Caught the lucious drippings in a pan on the plate setter for au jus...

Took it out of the wrapper, nice fat cap along the bottom. I guess they hide it for presentation. Strange though, the fat only ran along one half, and the thinnest part of the brisket had no fat at all. I folded that part up against the fatty section and kept turning it. Freaking delicious. :wacko:

I cranked the Egg to 700+, seared on all sides and removed for a minute to add some hickory for flavor and put the plate setter in place (Egg means of indirect heat). Let her burn full boil for 15 minutes then shut the airflow down on both ends. Pulled it off at 130 degrees dead center - total cook time was maybe 20-22 minutes. Caught the lucious drippings in a pan on the plate setter for au jus...

Definitely trying this for one of our next parties. :tup:

Get the tenderloin and marinate in 1 part worcestershire sauce, 1 part balsamic vinegar, and 1 part brown sugar. Let it sit in the marinate 1-3 hours. Remove from marinade, and salt and pepper to taste. Smoke with the hottest indirect heat you can on your smoker until internal temp is about 130 degrees. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.

I will cut up a bunch of garlic, thyme, parsley, taragon, rosemary, and whatever fresh herbs you have and grind them up in a mortar and pestil . Clean the loin and rub it with olive oil. Rub the loin with the garlic and herb mixture.

Load half the Weber with coals and get them as hot as you can. Sear the whole loin on all sides on the side of the Weber with coals for a few minutes or so a side. Move the loin off the heat and throw some wood chips on the coals.

It doesnt take long to bring the loin up to temp from here but it will give you 5 to 10 minutes of smoke depending on the size of the loin. The mixture of the herb crust seared in with a touch of smoke is awesome.

ETA: Salt and pepper liberally before adding the herb rub.

Edited by Cameltosis

• 2 weeks later...

Had some folks over last night and did a tenderloin on the Weber. Came out perfect and everyone was raving about it. Gave it a good sear on all sides, then moved it off to the side to finish. Took about an hour in total. Sliced it thin on an angle, the fat part was nice and pink in the middle and the thin part was more well done. All of it was tender and delicious. Served with some of Det's wine and everyone raved about how they complimented each other. I took 100% of the credit of course.

• 2 months later...
Get the tenderloin and marinate in 1 part worcestershire sauce, 1 part balsamic vinegar, and 1 part brown sugar. Let it sit in the marinate 1-3 hours. Remove from marinade, and salt and pepper to taste. Smoke with the hottest indirect heat you can on your smoker until internal temp is about 130 degrees. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before cutting.

Doing this with a Boneless Rib Roast except I am using Terriyaki and Soy instead of Worcestsershire. Then I will roll it in cracked pepper and fresh rosemary then baste with olive oil and set on the smoker. Will probably smoke (mesquite) at 225 for 4+ hours - weighs over 4 pounds.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby