[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

greg salas?

slainte

picked up him up in two leagues. anyone familiar with this guy?

i like amendola, but his yac numbers have the been the one knock against him. the slot in that offense was heavily utilized with amendola filling it. if salas can match what danny did and add numbers after the catch, do you think he can challenge for that position down the road?

i may put him in against a banged up nyg secondary underneath the lights of mnf.

i see lots of upside here.

what are your thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up him up in two leagues. anyone familiar with this guy?

i like amendola, but his yac numbers have the been the one knock against him. the slot in that offense was heavily utilized with amendola filling it. if salas can match what danny did and add numbers after the catch, do you think he can challenge for that position down the road?

i may put him in against a banged up nyg secondary underneath the lights of mnf.

i see lots of upside here.

what are your thoughts?

I think these are the kind of moves that can make a difference during a season. He is not a "franchise" rec. but in the slot posistion, with an accurate passer, he may jump up and make the most of this opportunity. He is not a blazer, but he seems to catch everything thrown at him, and he runs with a fury after the catch, sometimes dragging people 2-3 extra yds. after most every catch. I think your instincts are on the money. Good luck!

Edited by grindstone007

Yeah, who was Danny Amendola before last year? A short, unassuming WR from a pass-happy, sometimes-gimmicky college football team (like Salas). Sure, he had 43 catches in his rookie season, but with Bradford at the helm, he almost doubled that production.

Not saying Salas will grab 85 balls like Amendola did last year, but splitting the difference between Amendola's rookie and 2nd seasons wouldn't be out of reach if Salas can stay healthy himself.

Edited by darin3

Yeah, who was Danny Amendola before last year? A short, unassuming WR from a pass-happy, sometimes-gimmicky college football team (like Salas). Sure, he had 43 catches in his rookie season, but with Bradford at the helm, he almost doubled that production.

Not saying Salas will grab 85 balls like Amendola did last year, but splitting the difference between Amendola's rookie and 2nd seasons wouldn't be out of reach if Salas can stay healthy himself.

I agree it is possible, however wouldn't you agree that Danny has little worry of losing his starting job once he returns? Sure Salas may steal some looks, but I don't see him being a major fantasy contributor this season. However, I've been wrong before.

Edited by DanTheMan_5

I agree it is possible, however wouldn't you agree that Danny has little worry of losing his starting job once he returns? Sure Salas may steal some looks, but I don't see him geing a major fantasy contributer this season. However, I've been wrong before.

Sorry, didn't include the caveat: this is if Amendola ends up missing significant time. I guess Amendola is already trying to get back to action, which is just nuts because it was first thought he'd miss the entire season.

I agree it is possible, however wouldn't you agree that Danny has little worry of losing his starting job once he returns? Sure Salas may steal some looks, but I don't see him being a major fantasy contributor this season. However, I've been wrong before.

i didn't mention this earlier, but i have amendola in one of those leagues. luckily, i'm able to place him in an ir slot. in the other league, roster space is limited and it pained me to drop brandon lafell for salas but i was willing to pay the price to see what this kid can do.

the reports on amendola's elbow are all over the place, so who knows how long he'll be out. he already denied initial reports that he was lobbying to start this week.

i obviously can't substantiate this, but i get the sense that amendola may be nervous about salas' potential to shine and win the slot long term.

Edited by slainte

The one thing about this is he's a COMPLETE unknown. He hasn't done a single thing at the pro level that would lead you to believe that he is a capable slot receiver. He was a great college receiver, but obviously the coaches have not been happy with the progress of either rookie, because Sims-Walker has been horrible so far and is still starting.

Salas was better than Pettis in the preason, but that just means he caught a few balls. That's pretty much it. He may turn out to be great, but in our local (all St. Louisans) Salas is a free agent. And our league started in 1993, so there is a great deal of experience there.

TL/DR - in a very deep league he's worth a risk as a handcuff to Amendola, but not much else until he shows something, IMHO.

The perfect storm rises.

Salas put up crazy numbers in college. Salas has great hands and will catch in traffic without fear. He hand catches and you will almost never see a bobbled ball. He doesn't have top end speed, but runs like a RB after the catch. Opponents are going to see all knees and elbows after the catch and he's got the mass and muscle to pull it off. His YAC in college was off the charts. He's difficult to tackle and will run through DBs. He actually has lean - he gets an additonal 2 to 3 yards when being tackled. He understands how to set up DBs, when to sit in the hole in a zone, and uses his body like a basketball forward to box out coverage. He's got another gear when he gets in the open field, like a lot of good RBs also. He is a devastating blocker for the run game - he doesn't stalk defenders, he lines them up and trashes them. Think Hines Ward. The kid is big, strong, smart, and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

He would have struggled a bit as a wideout only because he doesn't have the top end speed and would be more like a RB lined out wide. But in the slot he's aligned his responsibility with his skill set perfectly. He's exactly what a guy like McDaniels wants right there.

He's still a rookie, so he's still near the beginning of his learning curve. But his college experience matches up with what McDaniels does on O well. That he played in the system he did and didn't play for a big name college, and that he isn't a prototypical tall wideout with high end quicks was why he dropped in the draft. But this is his calling in the bigs, and he's got the right O system and the right QB to work with to optimize his effectiveness.

He is still a rookie, but STL is also still looking for a go-to guy. This kid wasn't a flash in the pan in college. He was wildly productive for 3 years running and was a bonafide stud despite not being the prototype WR. Kendricks was supposed to be that guy after FFers had a man crush on him in preseason, but Kendricks disappointed last week when he was running with the 1s in a regular season game. STL is still looking for a go-to guy. This could very well be him. And quite frankly if he gets rolling Amendola does not have what it takes to keep Salas off the field.

Grab him now, and cheap, while he is still there. I have a strong feeling he'll play bigger in real games and most especially as his comfort level grows. This guy could very well be Bradford's security blanket and chain-mover for the rest of this year and well beyond. And despite some shortcomings, this kid has enough talent to actually become dominant out of the slot.

Do you get the idea that I really like this kid in this spot? :wacko: I've got him rostered in 2 leagues and only skipped him in the 3rd because Cobb fell into my lap and I needed to go LB in the middle of the draft because of that.

Edited by Bronco Billy

For those of you unfamiliar with him, here's about 4 1/2 minutes of highlights. Note a few things - the way he gets separation when the ball is in the air, the way he catches with his hands and away from his pads, that he catches with lean that immediately carries him upfield, the concentration in traffic, the yards he gets after contact, and then some real ankle breaking moves in the open field.

Link

Edited by Bronco Billy

The perfect storm rises.

Salas put up crazy numbers in college. Salas has great hands and will catch in traffic without fear. He hand catches and you will almost never see a bobbled ball. He doesn't have top end speed, but runs like a RB after the catch. Opponents are going to see all knees and elbows after the catch and he's got the mass and muscle to pull it off. His YAC in college was off the charts. He's difficult to tackle and will run through DBs. He actually has lean - he gets an additonal 2 to 3 yards when being tackled. He understands how to set up DBs, when to sit in the hole in a zone, and uses his body like a basketball forward to box out coverage. He's got another gear when he gets in the open field, like a lot of good RBs also. He is a devastating blocker for the run game - he doesn't stalk defenders, he lines them up and trashes them. Think Hines Ward. The kid is big, strong, smart, and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

He would have struggled a bit as a wideout only because he doesn't have the top end speed and would be more like a RB lined out wide. But in the slot he's aligned his responsibility with his skill set perfectly. He's exactly what a guy like McDaniels wants right there.

He's still a rookie, so he's still near the beginning of his learning curve. But his college experience matches up with what McDaniels does on O well. That he played in the system he did and didn't play for a big name college, and that he isn't a prototypical tall wideout with high end quicks was why he dropped in the draft. But this is his calling in the bigs, and he's got the right O system and the right QB to work with to optimize his effectiveness.

He is still a rookie, but STL is also still looking for a go-to guy. This kid wasn't a flash in the pan in college. He was wildly productive for 3 years running and was a bonafide stud despite not being the prototype WR. Kendricks was supposed to be that guy after FFers had a man crush on him in preseason, but Kendricks disappointed last week when he was running with the 1s in a regular season game. STL is still looking for a go-to guy. This could very well be him. And quite frankly if he gets rolling Amendola does not have what it takes to keep Salas off the field.

Grab him now, and cheap, while he is still there. I have a strong feeling he'll play bigger in real games and most especially as his comfort level grows. This guy could very well be Bradford's security blanket and chain-mover for the rest of this year and well beyond. And despite some shortcomings, this kid has enough talent to actually become dominant out of the slot.

Do you get the idea that I really like this kid in this spot? :wacko: I've got him rostered in 2 leagues and only skipped him in the 3rd because Cobb fell into my lap and I needed to go LB in the middle of the draft because of that.

Great breakdown.

He is a stud.

Are you playing him this week?

I am.

Great breakdown.

He is a stud.

Are you playing him this week?

I am.

Deciding between he and Benn this week. I might want to see him play a couple of weeks to see exactly how much he factors into the playcalling. He is a rookie in an abbreviated offseason year and it's way early in the year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Deciding between he and Benn this week. I might want to see him play a couple of weeks to see exactly how much he factors into the playcalling. He is a rookie in an abbreviated offseason year and it's way early in the year.

Bradford and McDanielsdo not just abandon their strength which is the slot pass just because Salas is a rook.

Giants defense is banged up in all the right places for Salas to start. Bradford is looking for that go to guy and with an injured finger, Salas will be the outlet.

When your fanatsy WRs get decimated due to injury, Salas doesn't look too bad.

Bradford and McDanielsdo not just abandon their strength which is the slot pass just because Salas is a rook.

Giants defense is banged up in all the right places for Salas to start. Bradford is looking for that go to guy and with an injured finger, Salas will be the outlet.

When your fanatsy WRs get decimated due to injury, Salas doesn't look too bad.

:wacko:

Now you guys are really making me rethink this. The last time I did that I pulled Sproles from my lineup last week.

jump on the gibson bandwagon....you'll see what i mean after this next MNF game...hopefully

I need a WR and we have Mass/Salas available....but there is nobody for me to drop...

some we todd dropped Finley so I picked him up with the 1st waiver claim.....and now I have 3 stud TE's with everyone lowballing me in the process whenever I try to trade them...and it's not like these guys are being savvy, they are just overvaluing their players from the jump....

maybe I could be off...but Finley and Austin is a pretty decent offer for Roddy White and this guy laughed and said he was insulted :wacko:

I'm just going to have to hold out with my 3 TE's - Witten, Finley and Graham....:tup:

I need a WR and we have Mass/Salas available....but there is nobody for me to drop...

some we todd dropped Finley so I picked him up with the 1st waiver claim.....and now I have 3 stud TE's with everyone lowballing me in the process whenever I try to trade them...and it's not like these guys are being savvy, they are just overvaluing their players from the jump....

maybe I could be off...but Finley and Austin is a pretty decent offer for Roddy White and this guy laughed and said he was insulted :wacko:

I'm just going to have to hold out with my 3 TE's - Witten, Finley and Graham....:tup:

You need to break out of your comfort zone and play in leagues with more than 4 teams in them...

i'm in a similar situation with daniels, graham, and davis. there are a couple prospects i want to take a shot on but i don't know who to drop. i'm waiting at least two more weeks before putting them on the block as they're value should be more by then.

playing the waiver wire this early in the season is like sitting at a slot machine waiting to hit. at some point you have to stop pumping it with quarters.

You need to break out of your comfort zone and play in leagues with more than 4 teams in them...

it's only 10...I like 12 to 14.....someone dropped Finley for Zach Miller and when I asked him why ":wacko: I dunno".....and the bench requirements aren't much....we only get 6 total bench spots....there should be 9....