[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

greg salas?

slainte

i'm in a similar situation with daniels, graham, and davis. there are a couple prospects i want to take a shot on but i don't know who to drop. i'm waiting at least two more weeks before putting them on the block as they're value should be more by then.

playing the waiver wire this early in the season is like sitting at a slot machine waiting to hit. at some point you have to stop pumping it with quarters.

I agree...but I only have 3 WR's....we start 2-3 of them so I have a slight problem but I couldn't just let Finley slide to another team...

they even have one of them crappy flex positions but exclude TE's....:wacko:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the original topic, still debating on whether or not to roll em out monday night. i just can't see how he wouldn't take advantage of this opportunity. he should realize that if the helps the team avoid 0-2, it would go a long way toward him sticking in the minds of the coaching staff. there are some heavy expectations on that team to take the next step. anything short of a playoff appearance would be a disappointment.

you know expectations are high when an organization puts out an educational video on how to be a fan. :wacko:

I agree...but I only have 3 WR's....we start 2-3 of them so I have a slight problem but I couldn't just let Finley slide to another team...

they even have one of them crappy flex positions but exclude TE's....:wacko:

one league i'm in has a similar restriction, only this one doesn't allow rbs as flex candidates. still sucks either way. i'm hoping we change that next year.

+1 for Gibson, I'm in that camp.

i had someone offer me gibson in a trade for one of my tight ends. someone definitely has to step up. this week's match up should give the rams receivers plenty of chances to shine.

feel like i need to see more from him before i buy.

i'm banking on the playbook to keep salas involved. much like i did with tamme last year. . .

:wacko:

Now you guys are really making me rethink this. The last time I did that I pulled Sproles from my lineup last week.

Giants are starting a rookie middle linebacker. McDaniels is like a slot receiver magician. Salas will get little attention and will hover in the soft spots behind the linebackers. Gibson and Walker will stretch the field and Caddy will make them respect the run.

This game promises to be a shoot out. I don't see Rams all of a sudden relying on their run game with Caddy. I see at least 85 passes in the game combined. Probably more.

Salas had one catch for 21 yards last week against a tight Eagles defense and a second string QB throwing the ball to him. I am guessing we see this quite a bit on Monday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJTPrAtLBg

Last week, Amendola played well into into the 4th quarter. When he went out, Salas stepped in and was immediately targeted by Bradford on a deep pass- the one where Bradford got injured. It was incomplete, but two plays later Feely hit him for the short pass that Salas ran for 21 yards (see above video clip). Point is, Bradford did not just ignore that role in the offense with the rookie there. Nor did the second stringer AJ Feely. They don't have to 'ease' him in.

I am starting him with confidence. I expect him to come right out of the gates running like an antelope.

But the fantasy gods will surely see to it that I am made to look like a fool.

For those of you unfamiliar with him, here's about 4 1/2 minutes of highlights. Note a few things - the way he gets separation when the ball is in the air, the way he catches with his hands and away from his pads, that he catches with lean that immediately carries him upfield, the concentration in traffic, the yards he gets after contact, and then some real ankle breaking moves in the open field.

Link

Good link.

Try this one. Same highlights from Hawaii, but is less edited:

Dude is a stud.

Compare his highlights with Amendola's:

Amendola is smaller, slower, and easier to tackle.

I take Salas any day. He bowls people over after the catch.

He will step right in and be a play maker. Waiver wire pickup of the year.

The guy looks very good in the clips designed to make him look very good. I am intrigued that there is not a lot of dancing or highstepping in the promo video and that there is some putting his helmut in the defender's chest and forward lean and drive to finish his runs. That seemed a reoccuring characteristic. If that is the guy, and not just editing I am impressed.

I do note that I did not instantly recognize a lot of the uniforms of the defenders. We are not talking about a slate of defenders that regularly included Big 10 PAC 12, or SEC schools.

Were he available in my leagues I would see enough here to grab him to see if he can match the advertising. In my leagues, though, he has not been available except through the draft.

I've got him in a lot of my leagues. As far as the guys comparing him to Amendola... I think Salas has the same skillset, but is a much better athlete, so his ceiling is a lot higher. One thing that I think we'll see is a much better YAC average than what Amendola puts up.

this.

no knock on amendola. he's a true competitor. but i feel salas is that and more.

The one thing about this is he's a COMPLETE unknown. He hasn't done a single thing at the pro level that would lead you to believe that he is a capable slot receiver. He was a great college receiver, but obviously the coaches have not been happy with the progress of either rookie, because Sims-Walker has been horrible so far and is still starting.

Salas was better than Pettis in the preason, but that just means he caught a few balls. That's pretty much it. He may turn out to be great, but in our local (all St. Louisans) Salas is a free agent. And our league started in 1993, so there is a great deal of experience there.

TL/DR - in a very deep league he's worth a risk as a handcuff to Amendola, but not much else until he shows something, IMHO.

Aaaaaaand that's the Greg Salas that we have seen here in STL so far. May turn out to be good someday, but Amendola is NOT worried about losing his job.

Salas and Pettis made the cut to the 53-man based solely on potential and their high draft status. Neither has shown anything so far.

Aaaaaaand that's the Greg Salas that we have seen here in STL so far. May turn out to be good someday, but Amendola is NOT worried about losing his job.

Salas and Pettis made the cut to the 53-man based solely on potential and their high draft status. Neither has shown anything so far.

yea. . .this kid had a real opportunity but couldn't handle it. he could have made a name for himself tonight but, in the end, it proved to be too much. his hands aren't as good as initially thought.

maybe he'll be good one day, it certainly wasn't tonight.

does pettis get a shot now?

i'd like to add that in all fairness, this wasn't bramford's best game either. he definitely made some questionable throws. the giants d played better than expected. . .rams receivers had some trouble gaining separation, especially in the red zone. an area they should focus on in practice all week.

Some of you are way too hyped on this guy. I mean, he has promise, I won't deny that, but if you're looking at a guy that might get some snaps in Amendola's role, you guys must be in dire situations at the wr position. I had Amendola last year and love him, I'm not saying he, and his role, aren't valuable, but to be excited about Salas to be worth anything beyond a WR3 only if/when he can get some snaps in at Amendola's role is reaching pretty far.

There have to be better options. I'm in an aggressive and knowledgable 12 team league and there are at least a dozen wideouts sitting in free agency that are more promising. You don't have Antonio Brown, Eric Decker, David Nelson, Denarius Moore, or even STL's own Denario Alexander available? There are a variety of these guys who all hold more promise without relying on the failure of others (and I wouldn't count on Amendola losing his gig). There are probably several TE's available in your league that are more valuable than him if you have a wr/te slot.

So, eh, I guess I'm saying I don't think he's all that fantasy-wise.

A rookie starting in his second game as a pro in a year where the preseason training was significantly shortened has a mediocre day in a game where his QB was clearly off?

Yeah, he won't amount to much of anything...

Now where did I put that Jump to Conclusions mat?

:tup:

A rookie starting in his second game as a pro in a year where the preseason training was significantly shortened has a mediocre day in a game where his QB was clearly off?

Loving the office space reference. :wacko:

Bronco, did you get a chance to watch the game last night? Perhaps it was rookie nerves, but Salas looked less than comfortable on the big stage, dropping several passes. I'm not saying he is a bust, however until he shows me more I just can't buy the hype.

Alexander is the better pu IMO until his knee falls off. Although I could see Salas gaining value in PPR formats should Amendola be out for an extended period.

He dropped some critical passes that were more than catachable. Granted, I'm assuming he was looking before catching but if he can't grab the ball, he's not going to be much of anything. Kendricks also dropped some great throws to him....

Loving the office space reference. :wacko:

Bronco, did you get a chance to watch the game last night? Perhaps it was rookie nerves, but Salas looked less than comfortable on the big stage, dropping several passes. I'm not saying he is a bust, however until he shows me more I just can't buy the hype.

Alexander is the better pu IMO until his knee falls off. Although I could see Salas gaining value in PPR formats should Amendola be out for an extended period.

Yep, did watch. Salas should have caught more footballs and he did not look comfortable. Part of that might be attributable to so many WRs being in camp and his not getting enough reps, and now being thrown onto the starting platform on MNF in his 2nd week as a pro. Getting off to a poor start by muffing the kick probbaly didn't help one bit either.

This kid has some very real ability and his hands are much better than what he showed last night. He'll get more chances. It's always fun to watch people give up on a player after one game, though.

DA looked better, but how long does he hold up?

Salas dropped at least one pass in game one too. I think it was a third down where he had to drop down a bit, but he let it bounce off his chest.Maybe it's rookie nerves, or he's thinking about running with the ball before catching it. Regardless, he needs to get over the dropsies before the Rams coaching staff runs out of patience.

Edited by Tripleshot

Who's giving up on Salas? I can only speak for myself, but all I said was that Salas has shown NOTHING as a pro that would indicate that he was ready for a FF roster spot, much less the starting lineup. He had ample opportunity in training camp, preseason, and two games to at least flash something and has simply not done so. That's just facts.

Owning Salas right now is a highly speculative move based on some nice college highlights against suspect competition, and that's it. The coaching staff in St. Louis has not tried to hide the fact that they are not happy with the progression of he and Pettis. He's not ready. He may eventually be great.

:tup:

Of course, because you couldn't possibly be wrong... :wacko: