[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How does your league handle stat changes that affect outcome of a H2H match?

montster

Without a rule the states the deadline for when stat changes can be applied, I can't do anything. As others have pointed out, the last thing I want is for someone to dig up some stat change from earlier in the season and say, "Hey, I should've gotten the win that week. You need to change the scoring for that game, too."

I think you will be surprised how many people would rather the right thing be done. Have you even put it out to them yet?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you will be surprised how many people would rather the right thing be done. Have you even put it out to them yet?

Yes, I emailed everyone Wednesday night, a few hours after the stat change was being reported. There was some back-and-forth, and last night the owner who I went up against emailed everyone to say as much as it pained him to admit, fantasy football is about the stats a player accumulates during a game, so it shouldn't matter whether the stat is counted during the game or after (I'm paraphrasing). I let him know he has every right to say, "The rules don't address this, so the original score stands." He said he didn't see this as a rule change, but more of a clarification.

I ended up creating a poll that said we would be applying weekly stat changes and no results are final until those stat changes have been applied. If the other 11 owners vote yes by the start of Sunday's games, we go through with it. If we get anything other than the 11 yes votes, then scores are final as of Tuesday morning, and we table the score changes until next year.

Fantasy Football is based on stats. Whatever official stats the NFL decides on should be the stats that you use for your fantasy league.

I agree with this... for the most part.. I'm a commish and over the approx. 15yrs I've been the commish, this has come up from time to time. You can't have a rule for every single possible thing that can come up, so we've largely operated on the "common sense" rule of thumb in dealing with those rare things that sometimes present themselves and we do NOT automatically come up with a rule next year to address it. We just go by common sense again the next time... and precedent based on how we handled it previously.

So that said, common sense here tells me that what lkirc said is correct in this instance. Whatever stat the NFL embraces for receiving yardage, catch/no catch, is what a fantasy league should embrace and if changes an outcome after the fact, so be it. A caveat to this is that I also agree with previous posters in that once the following week's games start, that's it. Score is final.

Getting back to the common sense theme: when there are two turnovers on a play -Defense picks it off or recovers a fumble and the defender in turn fumbles it back to offense. Technically, the defense has become and the offense and vice-versa. Common sense though tells me that any fantasy scoring should be viewed from the perspective of the units on the field, not some quirky thing that happened that caused a technicality.