[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ced Benson suspended?

Bronco Billy

Time to pick up Bernard Scott..!

Talk about a guy in search of an opportunity...

Scott also seems to fit in Gruden's O and is a better fit for Dalton's skill set, but Lewis just is determined that he isn't capable of sustaining 20 touches a game. The kid has looked a lot better and more dangerous with the ball than Benson, especially this year.

Maybe this will give him his chance

I disagree with the NFL's stance here. The players were locked out. They were not under contract and as such, should not be subjected to the conduct policy. To take it a step further, players and coaches who had issues while they played / coached in college should not be suspended upon entering the NFL. It's just wrong.

no way they can suspend him because it was during the lockout.

You keep saying this, but there's nothing to back up that assertion, other than a bit of speculation during the lockout about whether Goodell would levy fines and suspensions for actions during the lockout... Obviously the Benson situation shows that it's not the case, and it's entirely up to Goodell how he decides to handle the situations.

Though I still don't get how Benson is being treated like the repeat offender that he is, while Britt got nothing but a slap on the wrist after his 6th arrest in 2 years :wacko:

I disagree with the NFL's stance here. The players were locked out. They were not under contract and as such, should not be subjected to the conduct policy. To take it a step further, players and coaches who had issues while they played / coached in college should not be suspended upon entering the NFL. It's just wrong.

This.

I made an argument in a previous thread that once you become a part of the NFL, you become a part of their public image. Thus you are subject to their conduct policy up until you retire, no matter whether it's the offseason, or in this case the lockout.... You may say that's unfair, but I know my employer wouldn't take too kindly for me getting arrested while I was on a sabatical/hiatus and still represented the company.

But not to get caught up in that loose example, these guys are paid in part to be public figures and represent the league, so if you're going to use their image to prosper yourself, then you can't be doing things that are going to tarnish that image.... It'd be different if the guys were no longer employed by the NFL, but their contracts they signed prior to the lockout are still in effect. It isn't like they're reapplying to the league and a statute of limitations prohibits punishment for past actions. They were still employees before, during and after the lockout.

Edit: Though I guess the Pryor situation throws my argument out the window as that is no doubt where the NFL is crossing the line.

Edited by delusions of granduer

I made an argument in a previous thread that once you become a part of the NFL, you become a part of their public image. Thus you are subject to their conduct policy up until you retire, no matter whether it's the offseason, or in this case the lockout.... You may say that's unfair, but I know my employer wouldn't take too kindly for me getting arrested while I was on a sabatical/hiatus and still represented the company.

But not to get caught up in that loose example, these guys are paid in part to be public figures and represent the league, so if you're going to use their image to prosper yourself, then you can't be doing things that are going to tarnish that image.... It'd be different if the guys were no longer employed by the NFL, but their contracts they signed prior to the lockout are still in effect. It isn't like they're reapplying to the league and a statute of limitations prohibits punishment for past actions. They were still employees before, during and after the lockout.

Edit: Though I guess the Pryor situation throws my argument out the window as that is no doubt where the NFL is crossing the line.

My employer would agree with yours. Here's the difference and the reason I disagree. The players were locked out. That was not of their choosing, as you or I taking a sabbatical or going on hiatus is ours.

That's not to say I think players who act up are wise. They knew what we did: eventually the NFL was going to be back in business and people have long memories.

THATS the difference...it's choice. You lock me out and still expect me to act in the image YOU want? F-off NFL. I'm not an NFL player at the moment.

Edited by The Wolf

My employer would agree with yours. Here's the difference and the reason I disagree. The players were locked out. That was not of their choosing, as you or I taking a sabbatical or going on hiatus is ours.

That's not to say I think players who act up are wise. They knew what we did: eventually the NFL was going to be back in business and people have long memories.

THATS the difference...it's choice. You lock me out and still expect me to act in the image YOU want? F-off NFL. I'm not an NFL player at the moment.

Except that you are still under contract so those image rules apply. And I'd say the Puor situation is different because it's a matter of image again and avoiding the situation where a college player could get kicked out of school for drug dealing but then get drafted by the NFL for millions. That's a move to prevent gaming of the system.

Edited by Pope Flick

Then they have the choice to leave the NFL if they don't like it's rules, but persons who were under contract prior to the lockout are subject to the rules they agreed to when they entered the league, which includes their conduct policy. Here's part of it:

General policy

Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League. Such conduct alienates the fans on whom the success of the League depends and has negative and sometimes tragic consequences for both the victim and the perpetrator.

The League is committed to promoting and encouraging lawful conduct and to providing a safe and professional workplace for its employees.

Persons covered by policy

The following persons ("Covered Persons") shall be considered subject to this Policy: (i) all players under contract; (ii) all full-time employees of the National Football League, its Member Clubs and related entities; (iii) all rookie players once they are selected in the NFL college draft; and (iv) all undrafted rookie players, unsigned veterans and other prospective employees once they commence negotiations with a Club concerning employment.

I mean, the NFL didn't fire them and null all contracts. The lockout was about coming up with a new future agreement, not a loophole to do whatever you want in spite of the contract you agreed to.

More confirmation from ESPN (got their info from Yahoo):

Cincinnati running back Cedric Benson has been served a three-game suspension from the NFL, according to a report by Yahoo Sports.

This only adds to the Bengals' troubles this week, which included starting wide receiver Jerome Simpson getting detained in a Josh Gordon incident. This isn't the type of publicity the Bengals wanted heading into a home opener that is already blacked out.

Benson will be allowed to play Sunday against San Francisco because his appeal will reportedly be heard Tuesday. If the suspension is upheld, he would miss Cincinnati's next three games against Buffalo, Jacksonville and Indianapolis.

He was sentenced last month after striking deals for two misdemeanor assault cases stemming from separate incidents in Austin, Texas (the last one occurred two months ago during the lockout). He eventually served five days in jail just before the start of the season.

Losing Benson for that stretch will hurt Cincinnati, especially in the games against the Bills (21st-ranked run defense) and Colts (29th). Bernard Scott would likely fill in as the starting running back

ESPN

Yahoo's Post (looks like all of this information is coming from one source, Michael Silver):

Cincinnati Bengals running back Cedric Benson(notes) has been suspended for three games, according to a tweet from Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports.

Benson has plans to appeal the suspension, which apparently stems from the personal conduct policy during the lockout.

Benson spent time in jail in Texas on an assault charge between the end of preseason and the start of the regular season. According to the report, he will play this weekend against the San Francisco 49ers as the case makes its way through the appeals process

Yahoo

Edited by goldenboy81