[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matthews and Tolbert

Big Ernie McCracken

I just have a feeling this could be the week Matthews takes over this juicy spot. They drafted him to be the lead guy, let Sproles go, and he's showing a short area burst that Tolbert will never have, great top end speed, and A+ receiving skills. After getting entirely burned by him last year as 1st rounder, the price was great this year and it seems his talent is surfacing a bit more with every touch. It may be wishful thinking but with Tolbert hobbled and a week removed from a key fumble, Matthews is primed to explode IMO.

I just have a feeling this could be the week Matthews takes over this juicy spot. They drafted him to be the lead guy, let Sproles go, and he's showing a short area burst that Tolbert will never have, great top end speed, and A+ receiving skills. After getting entirely burned by him last year as 1st rounder, the price was great this year and it seems his talent is surfacing a bit more with every touch. It may be wishful thinking but with Tolbert hobbled and a week removed from a key fumble, Matthews is primed to explode IMO.

I agree. Watching him play against NE, he looked good. Ran through tackles and just seems to have a great burst while being tough to bring down. High upside on him assuming he's over any potential injury issues from last year.

As a Tolbert owner I agree with you - trying to move him now while I can. Lightly injured whereas Matthews is all healed up, potential for fumbles, superior skill set of Matthews. I admit this could end up breaking either way, but if I can package him in trade for an RB not part of RBBC I'll do it.

I think it really depends on how much Mathews has improved at blitz pickup. I do agree though that this should be the week that they feature him. They need to find out if he's capable of it, as Tolbert is a FA after this season. Watching SD play Mathews looks the part of a stud RB, but if he can't protect Rivers then Tolbert will continue to have a large role.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

As a Tolbert owner I agree with you - trying to move him now while I can. Lightly injured whereas Matthews is all healed up, potential for fumbles, superior skill set of Matthews. I admit this could end up breaking either way, but if I can package him in trade for an RB not part of RBBC I'll do it.

In a 14-team redraft, the Ingram owner was looking to sell. I offered Tolbert for Ingram on Wednesday. He accepted it last night. I was high on Tolbert before the season (and own him in another redraft), but I like what I've seen Mathews so far. My team is strong enough that I figured I could go for the high reward in Ingram.

I concur with the comments being made on this thread that Matthews is the more explosive runner but Tolbert is the more reliable pass blocker. The local newspapers have reported that Matthew's lack of pass blocking experience and ability is the only thing keeping him from getting more playing time on passing downs. Rivers is the franchise so protection is the key. It's ironic that in prior years, LT and Sproles were deemed as excellent pass blockers although smaller in stature than Matthews. Matthews just needs to step up that part of his game.

The coaching staff prefers Tolbert in the redzone as well, although I think Matthews deserves some redzone opportunities since he's pretty big himself and can run in between the tackles too. It really seems that Matthews is on the cusp of being a productive player. He's certainly doing more with his touches this year. As long as he can minimize putting the ball on the ground (Tolbert too), he should be getting more opportunities.

Nice call.

I really like Tolbert, I like the way he runs with power and violence but you sure called the timing on that one.