[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The dark side of Walter Payton

BeeR

It's sad that you guys are giving Payton a free pass on the adultery stuff. There is never a justification for this.

Of course not. But how do you know 100% it was adultery? You don't and it shouldn't be up to his wife to answer if it was. I didn't give him a pass on anything.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course not. But how do you know 100% it was adultery? You don't and it shouldn't be up to his wife to answer if it was. I didn't give him a pass on anything.

Um, if you're married and sleeping with someone who is not the person you're married to, it is BY DEFINITION adultery. It generally has nothing to do with whether or not your spouse is cool with you doing so.

Um, if you're married and sleeping with someone who is not the person you're married to, it is BY DEFINITION adultery. It generally has nothing to do with whether or not your spouse is cool with you doing so.

But if the spouse is cool with you doing it, is it anyone's business? And is it adultery? No and no.

People will judge the other way, and you go right ahead. But unless you know that's all it is, judgment - and in this case a healthy dose of semantics here as well. And even according to this book, she appears to have been aware at the very least.

But if the spouse is cool with you doing it, is it anyone's business? And is it adultery? No and no.

I still think it's adultery - and if the spouse is cool with it "is it anyone's business?" I would lean towards the "no" but then again, I think that as a public figure, one cedes a right to SOME privacy. In this case, I'm pretty sure the interest is solely prurient as opposed to a case of someone who sets public policy (say, a person who campaigns on an anti-gay platform who likes to give have gay sex), so in this case the revelation is unnecessary, but not unconscionable.

Bottom line from an ethical standpoint is if you think what you're doing is fine, you shouldn't need to hide it. And you have to hide what you're doing, it's a sign you should stop doing it. This is pretty good advice for people in the public eye and out of it.

FWIW even though I'm a Packer fan, I respected the hell out of Payton. Nothing in this book necessarily made me think he was a horrible person - there are PLENTY of people whose marriages don't work out. The other stuff isn't exactly murdering puppies and kicking old people down staircases, just a person struggling with a MAJOR change in his life. But then again, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to personal life.