[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2011 "Match Lite" Candidates?

splotchman

JUMbotron today hit upon probably my favorite topic of the column since last season -- Match Lites. Per John, these are the RBs that take off midseason and can put your pretty good team over the top down the stretch, so RBs like Jamaal Charles, Reuben Droughns, Sam Gado, etc.

John is predicting the 3 following RB will have the DNA to be potential Match Lites in 2011:

1. Kendall Hunter, SF

2. Stevan Ridley, NE

3. Steve Slaton, MIA

Do folks agree? Disagree? Other candidates?

Looking forward to the discussion.

1. It sounds nuts, but Match Lights (as JUM puts hit) always are. I grabbed Marshawn Lynch off the wire. I have a feeling that with half a season Tom Cable has that line run blocking a lot better. He won't blow anyone away, but I see more games like his last in store. Not sure if that counts, but I think he exceeds expectations.

2. That guy on Arizona who ran last week. Beanie Wells sucks.

3. Slaton is a great match light, I'm right now trying to figure out who to cut to get him on my roster.

Edited by BleedingGreen

Rodgers, Jacquizz

Turner looks refreshed but he's not any younger. Rodgers comes from a daunting and tough region for Texas football (Houston). He holds the Texas state TD record. He's a bit bigger than listed and built similar to MJD. Not a home run hitter but very versatile. He probably needs another year to add more bulk but could be very useful this year if Turner had to miss time.

Rodgers, Jacquizz

Turner looks refreshed but he's not any younger. Rodgers comes from a daunting and tough region for Texas football (Houston). He holds the Texas state TD record. He's a bit bigger than listed and built similar to MJD. Not a home run hitter but very versatile. He probably needs another year to add more bulk but could be very useful this year if Turner had to miss time.

Yup, I've heard the undersized talk, but at a conservative 5-6/196, the guy is 1 inch shorter and 12 pounds lighter than Jones-Drew, and 2 inches and 18 pounds lighter than Rice... If he bulks up just a little bit (which may be the only issue, he doesn't have a ton of room to bulk up that much more), he has that bowling ball frame, and also those Turner type big thighs to keep on churning out yards. I have no idea why other teams let him slide to the Falcons in the 5th, other than a lack of top-end speed (which he seems to make up for with good burst).

Look at this pic and tell me if you think he isn't bulky.

But I still see him more as a dynasty stash this year, assuming that Snelling gets healthy should Turner go out... But he does have like 78 yards on 12 touches, so he's definitely a guy to keep on your watch list.

Re: Hunter...certainly fits the bill. Another angle is the new regime. The last two SF HCs have been d-coordinators (Nolan then Singletary) and mostly uninterested in revamping the offense. Seems Harbaugh has signaled that Gore does not figure in but obviously can't just get rid of him yet.

how has harbaugh signaled that Gore does not figure in?

how has harbaugh signaled that Gore does not figure in?

I should've put that differently. He got an extension and I don't have any insider knowledge. The extension negotiations seemed more contentious than they needed to be. Harbaugh had to actually rebut rumors of a damaged relationship between Gore and the club. It's never good when the HC has to reaffirm anything.

Given Gore's injury history and new offense, I can see Gore falling out of favor pretty quick.

On the subject of Hunter - I picked him up in 1 league myself this week, but let us keep in mind that even if he gets a chance, he will be running (or attempting to run) behind the same line that Gore has ... below are some interesting notes from the first half of the week 3 SFO game vs that juggernaut CIN squad:

SFO O-line, first half:

- penalty against the o-line on 4 of the 5 SFO possessions (hold / false start, etc)

- 5 total penalties vs the SFO o-line in 5 SFO first half possessions

- 2 sacks allowed in 5 possessions

- F. Gore, 9 rushes, 5 went for 3 yards or less, 3 (I think, may have been 2) were for negative yards

Gore was injured as I recall, in the 2nd half.

... just a thought.

Edited by ts

Hunter - yes, very talented, just hope he gets the opportunity. If Gore doesn't step up this week, he probably will

Ridley - don't see it happening. Not that he's not talented, but they NEVER do anything but RBBC's on that team, and that's just one more mouth to feed

Slaton - not seeing that either. Really? A practice squad back? There's a good reason he was on the bench in Houston. Even if he gets the opportunity, I don't expect much. Miami is just desperate to backup Thomas, now that they know that Bush can't fill the role.

D Murray - I have serious doubts about Felix holding up another 3 weeks and Murray fits the bill.

D Carter - I think that late in the season, the Colts will try to D up a little bit and play angry football....this will allow them to run Carter some and use him for when Addai is either hurt or too ineffective to get reps...

M Ingram - Hate to rely on injury again, but another RB who never seems to hold up (Pierre Thomas) is the only thing standing in the way because Sproles can still get his numbers in with Ingram doing well also.

Stevan Ridley - If Belichik things he can be an every down back with Woodhead getting plays here and there then he could do really well down the stretch because I really think he has the tools to do so.

Kendall Hunter - if the Niners OL can put something together, he could benefit from Gore's struggles...he also has the tools to do so..