[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli Manning

yilduz

So, I'm sure everyone remembers Eli Manning claiming that he's a top 5 QB in the league. Silly little Eli. Something kind of caught my eye when I was looking at stats today, though. I know it's only week 4, but right now Eli has the 3rd highest QB rating (105.6) and has led his team to a 3-1 start. He has thrown eight TDs and only two picks in that time, is averaging 266.5 yards per game with a completion percentage of 64%. While the yards and percentage don't scream top five, an 8 to 2 TD/INT ratio is pretty nice, and you can't argue with a passer rating that high through four games.

His weakest game was definitely week 1 when he didn't throw a single TD, had one pick and lost the game to Washington. However, since then he's won three straight and has been extremely consistent. With a rushing offense that seems almost non-existent (87.5 yards per game, 8th lowest in the league), he seems to be carrying the offense.

I still wouldn't call him a top 5 QB in the league, but he has certainly been impressive, at least on paper. What do you think of him?

Eli has his fair share of bad decisions and bad games every year, but he's also good for a handful of terrific ones. And he has proven that he is clutch. There's not many other QB's I'd rather have on my team when there's 2 minutes left in the 4th qtr and the team needs a TD.

I believe he's elite status when it comes to the game of football, but in fantasy he's always had one foot in and the other foot out the door. With that said he's a gamer! he may not be assertive like his brother Peyton, but he finds a way to win games and put up respectable stats.

Edited by jlotze

I definitely would not consider him elite.

Hes above average, but thats about it.

Elite Qbs: Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Brees

Star Qbs: Stafford, Rivers, Vick

Above avg Qbs: Romo, Ryan, Eli, Fitzpatrick

So, you've listed 11 QBs there, would you say Eli is one of the top 10? If so, who would be left out?

Never been a huge Eli backer but I do appreciate his strengths and obviously the amazing run he went on at the end of 2007. His mechanics are very suspect at times and he carries himself like he's 12, but there is no denying that he's at his best in the 2-minute offense. I've said many times that they should randomly run a no-huddle offense at various points in games just to put defenses back on their heels, because he excels in a faster pace. I think maybe he doubts himself if he has too much time to think.

From a fantasy perspective I don't think anyone could argue that he is elite. He has great statistical games from time to time but is not in the stratosphere with Brady, Brees, Rodgers etc. From an NFL perspective, maybe you could make a case that he's near that level, given that he has a ring and has led the team to a lot of clutch wins. My biggest problem with him is the lack of leadership qualities which is damn important for a QB. On this team it is magnified because we don't have an LT or a Strahan anymore...that one guy who gives the team an identity. There is a lot of talent but not a single dynamic personality that you think of immediately when you think of the Giants.