[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Toss Up - Cam or Luck

flemingd

Kinda tough to ask since we have seen what Cam can do up to this point in the NFL, but can only speculate on Luck. We don't even know the system he will be in.

I like Cam right now, he seemed to pick up the Game Pretty Fast

Cam or Luck - from a fantasy or a real perspective?

Newton is a fantasy beast right now, but his team still loses. Half his points are "behind by 17 have to throw every down" points. Does he makes the others around him better? At this point, I'm thinking no. Steve Smith has more to do with Newton's success right now than the other way around. Does he make smart decisions in the red zone? At this point, unless he can run it in himself from 5 yards or less, I'm thinking no. Hell, he might as well not even have anyone in the backfield inside the 10 yard line, everyone knows he's the only one that'll carry the ball there. I'm not saying that he can't develop into a money quarterback. He's just not one right now(non-fantasy). He makes big plays, he just doesn't make big plays when it really, really counts.

Luck hasn't played a single snap in the NFL yet where Newton has. While it's tempting to lean toward Newton with the bird in hand theory, I will go out on a limb and say that Luck will be the better QB in the NFL. Ya, ya, the statistics show many top drafted QBs never make it in the NFL, but the way NFL executives and scouts universally gush about Luck's skills and makeup, I'd be surprised if he wasn't the next Elway/Manning/Brady.

Cam or Luck - from a fantasy or a real perspective?

Newton is a fantasy beast right now, but his team still loses. Half his points are "behind by 17 have to throw every down" points. Does he makes the others around him better? At this point, I'm thinking no. Steve Smith has more to do with Newton's success right now than the other way around. Does he make smart decisions in the red zone? At this point, unless he can run it in himself from 5 yards or less, I'm thinking no. Hell, he might as well not even have anyone in the backfield inside the 10 yard line, everyone knows he's the only one that'll carry the ball there. I'm not saying that he can't develop into a money quarterback. He's just not one right now(non-fantasy). He makes big plays, he just doesn't make big plays when it really, really counts.

Luck hasn't played a single snap in the NFL yet where Newton has. While it's tempting to lean toward Newton with the bird in hand theory, I will go out on a limb and say that Luck will be the better QB in the NFL. Ya, ya, the statistics show many top drafted QBs never make it in the NFL, but the way NFL executives and scouts universally gush about Luck's skills and makeup, I'd be surprised if he wasn't the next Elway/Manning/Brady.

Or the next David Carr, Matt Leinart, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Todd Marinivich ...

I'd take Luck. I highly doubt Cam continues to do what he is doing and he is already getting comfortable with being a loser (remember his press conference after his 1st week loss? None of that emotion anymore).

Cam may be a better fantasy play but I wouldn't rather have him. Luck will make fewer mistakes and control the game better, and therefore I think if I ran a team, Luck would give me a much better chance to win.

I'd take Luck. I highly doubt Cam continues to do what he is doing and he is already getting comfortable with being a loser (remember his press conference after his 1st week loss? None of that emotion anymore).

Cam may be a better fantasy play but I wouldn't rather have him. Luck will make fewer mistakes and control the game better, and therefore I think if I ran a team, Luck would give me a much better chance to win.

There's a fine line between hating to lose and letting it eat you up. It bears mention that the D is getting destroyed by injuries and can stop nobody. Take this last week, you spot a team two D/ST scores and allow them to run for 200+ yards, there's only so much you can do. Yet they still managed to make it close. Sure, one of those D scores is on him, but let's not forget he's a rookie.

Like others have said, Luck sure looks like the real deal, but you just never know.

Carolina has found their QB. In the event Carolina is sitting with the first pick (and assuming that happens because the D continues to get torched and putting up 28 pts continues to not be enough), then they should absolutely trade the pick (because the price will certainly be high) and load up on defense.

Or the next David Carr, Matt Leinart, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, Alex Smith, Todd Marinivich ...

Nah this guy has far more buzz surrounding him than any of those guys ever did. Cam had a good amount last year at about this time too, but not as much. Leaf wasn't even the top QB taken in his draft, Manning was, and Leinart was only worthy of the 10th pick overall in his draft. I believe Luck will prove to be the real deal. How can you doubt a Stanford man?

Edited by Crazysight

Luck and when all is said and done it won't even be close.

Newton is spinning the hell out of the ball right now, and I think he ends up having a great career. BUT Luck is that dude - has the PManning leadership ability, skill and smarts - Luck has it all. Scouts aren't just saying he is the clear #1,but he is the best NFL prospect in the last decade.

Luck all day long