[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

bye week strategy - take the goose egg or try to trade?

Steelhead

Curious as to how you approach your bye week woes. If you have a team with alot of players on bye the same week do you just take the hit or try to make a trade/waiver wire action. Years past I've worked deals or just made cuts. This year week 6 kills me with VJax, Lloyd, and Nate Washington all on bye my league only allows 5 WRs. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Curious as to how you approach your bye week woes. If you have a team with alot of players on bye the same week do you just take the hit or try to make a trade/waiver wire action. Years past I've worked deals or just made cuts. This year week 6 kills me with VJax, Lloyd, and Nate Washington all on bye my league only allows 5 WRs. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Here

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=364292

Edited by DanTheMan_5

i think trying to make a trade just to cover your ass for a bye week is pretty foolish.....thats like you and your wife taking a bus to a car dealership and the whole time your talking to the salesman shes elbowing you saying..cmon honey we really need a car!.........if the league rosters are that small that you cant fill spots then there should be a ton of guys on the waiver wire that are just as good as the ones on your team....and if your bench is STILL too short to sub in and you cant afford a waiver wire pickup,i would eat it.....

i think there are situations that could warrant maybe dropping your backup qb if hes nothing great. ...get rid of a backup D...maybe even take a chance on dropping a guy who has the following week bye.

i think trying to make a trade just to cover your ass for a bye week is pretty foolish.....thats like you and your wife taking a bus to a car dealership and the whole time your talking to the salesman shes elbowing you saying..cmon honey we really need a car!.........if the league rosters are that small that you cant fill spots then there should be a ton of guys on the waiver wire that are just as good as the ones on your team....and if your bench is STILL too short to sub in and you cant afford a waiver wire pickup,i would eat it.....

i think there are situations that could warrant maybe dropping your backup qb if hes nothing great. ...get rid of a backup D...maybe even take a chance on dropping a guy who has the following week bye.

Easy to say, but the truth is, if you don't post the best team you can week to week, a couple of losses can make the difference between playoffs or no playoffs. I am in a league that has only two bench spots. This year, for the first time, the NFL has compressed the bye weeks into only six weeks instead of eight, compounding the problem. For the past three years, byes were stretched out over weeks #4 through #11, an 8 week period. This year, the byes are in weeks #5 through #11, but there are no byes in week #10. So, only six weeks instead of eight, causing way more roster issues. Couple that with the fact that injuries are at an all time high (last year 20% of all NFL players went down with season ending injuries sometime during the year, and an average of 3.7 more injuries per team per week, 40% of which ended up not playing [out]), and you have to make some tough decisions that could decide the season's fate for your team.

Not quite as simple as you make it sound.

My advice is to assess each week as it comes. There is no pat answer as to whether to post a blank or to make a move (be it waiver wire or trade). If you're 0-4, 1-3. or maybe even 2-2, you need to do whatever you need to do to try to WIN NOW. Remember, a lot of things happen during the course of the year, and a decision you make now to bite the bullet and take an "L' now to help you later, may not necessarily work out later either.

Edited by SecondString

Not quite as simple as you make it sound.

My advice is to assess each week as it comes. There is no pat answer as to whether to post a blank or to make a move (be it waiver wire or trade). If you're 0-4, 1-3. or maybe even 2-2, you need to do whatever you need to do to try to WIN NOW. Remember, a lot of things happen during the course of the year, and a decision you make now to bite the bullet and take an "L' now to help you later, may not necessarily work out later either.

Not quite as simple as you make it sound either. These type of decisions are entirely situational, based on factors like league/bench sizes, what's on the waiver wire, if there are trades you can make that don't create holes or take a bigger downgrade, etc. In short, there is no easy answer without getting into an advice question and team/league-specific options.

But what doesn't change is the fact that it's not necessarily worse to be weak for 1 or 2 games than to have key players out for 4 or more. Again it does depend on situation how bad you need a win, how big of a downgrade you take with fill-ins, etc., but I disagree that you take it one game at a time, which is for coaches and players actually playing the games. As a manager/owner, your job is to make the best decisions for all 13-14 weeks and the playoffs. A few bye weeks shouldn't drastically change that gameplan.

Not quite as simple as you make it sound either. These type of decisions are entirely situational, based on factors like league/bench sizes, what's on the waiver wire, if there are trades you can make that don't create holes or take a bigger downgrade, etc. In short, there is no easy answer without getting into an advice question and team/league-specific options.

But what doesn't change is the fact that it's not necessarily worse to be weak for 1 or 2 games than to have key players out for 4 or more. Again it does depend on situation how bad you need a win, how big of a downgrade you take with fill-ins, etc., but I disagree that you take it one game at a time, which is for coaches and players actually playing the games. As a manager/owner, your job is to make the best decisions for all 13-14 weeks and the playoffs. A few bye weeks shouldn't drastically change that gameplan.

Not totally sure what you said here, but I think you saying it is "situational", and my saying "assess each week as it comes" is pretty much the same thing. My point being that there is no set answer to the original question.

"but I disagree that you take it one game at a time" Where did that come from? Those are your words, not mine. Hard to disagree with me on something I didn't say.

Not totally sure what you said here, but I think you saying it is "situational", and my saying "assess each week as it comes" is pretty much the same thing. My point being that there is no set answer to the original question.

"but I disagree that you take it one game at a time" Where did that come from? Those are your words, not mine. Hard to disagree with me on something I didn't say.

My apologies if I misunderstood you but I don't seek to misrepresent anyone:

I'm not trying to dispute you personally, so don't take it personally. I think we agree on several things. I'm just replying to the OP's question that it's not always that simple, and simply winning now doesn't always matter if it's going to prevent you from winning in the near future and later.

My apologies if I misunderstood you but I don't seek to misrepresent anyone:

I'm not trying to dispute you personally, so don't take it personally. I think we agree on several things. I'm just replying to the OP's question that it's not always that simple, and simply winning now doesn't always matter if it's going to prevent you from winning in the near future and later.

Yep...agreed there