[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jackie Battle - KC RB

Cunning Runt

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been around for a while now. Came into the league, undrafted free agent i believe from a division 2 school had an awesome combine way back when, however has never shown himself to be a playmaker, nor do I believe him to ever do so.

Thanks. I took a flyer on him since I had the space and the bits and pieces I read give me some thought maybe there might actually be some opportunity for him given the Chiefs RB situation currently. If I'm wrong, I drop him and move on. I dunno. Just seems that Chiefs need to do something at the position 'cause Jones ain't getting it done and McCluster is not a carry-the-load back.

Battle was apparently in late in the game last Sunday and was able to close it out with some decent runs. That's really all I'm going off of - that and the obvious need there. So putting 2 and 2 together, I picked him up in the hope that maybe, just maybe, he becomes "the guy".

He's kind of a mystery to me. You hear from some of the pundits around here that he has talent and will start to get more opportunities, but if I go by the eye test, he more often not runs straight to the hole, or where it's supposed to be, and if it's there he breaks off a good run. If it's not, it doesn't seem like he has the quick vision or feet to adjust.

I figured Thomas Jones would have been the guy, but it really looks like they are going to ride McCluster more. So I wish I could give you a better idea on how many carries, but I just don't know. If I'm a betting man, I don't think he gets enough carries to justify starting on a FF roster.

Edited by Chief Dick

I might take a chance on him if I don't get Redman or Ridley this week. Ray Rice on a bye and Mendenhall not playing has put me in a huge bind. I'm starting Lynch this week but my only other RB is Ben Tate (4 RB limit).....would you start Battle over Tate, Earnest Graham, Spiller and Delonte Carter this week?

I looked into Battle I guess he has been their best special teams player all season and Haley might give him a chance for more carries, even 10-15 would be acceptable against Indy for a spot start.

Edited by whyme23

Yeah I've basically followed him since I he came into the league, as I tend to do with anyone who shows well at their combine or pro day. Battle was actually ahead of Charles on the Chiefs depth chart briefly during Charles rookie year (when Larry Johnson was the starter and Charles had fumbling issues). But Battle has never done anything to impress during the brief game appearances I've seen him in.

Seems like he is worth a flier this week if you have roster space... Not to start, but to stash and hope. There certain is opportunity there for someone to step up and be a bruising RB. Thomas Jones looks done.

Exactly, what the hell. I've been carrying 2 Ds and playing match-ups. But one of them has a bye (Washington) and, while they've certainly been serviceable, they've been no better than any number of teams I could grab.

I lucked out on grabbing Decker the week before he went off, maybe I'll luck out again and this kid will show he deserved the reps and get more going forward.

Wow, that article is pretty glowing. At the very least, I would give him a start, what do they have to lose?

McCluster is just too small, so I dropped him. And yes, Charles is smallish - but he's bigger than McCluster. And yes, MLD and Sproles are small, but they're both >200 lbs and jacked, a la Barry Sanders. McCluster is essentially a CB/KR playing offense at 5-7, 170.

Jones, the only thing is people say he's "done" but that's people, not Todd Haley. Jones is going to get his carries, he's a bruising-style runner that wears people down. If I see Battle with 10 carries though, I'm immediately dropping Jones for Battle.

Saw this on Rotoworld:

Coach Todd Haley confirmed that Jackie Battle will receive "more and more opportunities" going forward.

It would be just like Haley to finally bench Thomas Jones for the career special teamer after letting Jones carry the ball more than Jamaal Charles last season. A tweener halfback/fullback with decent speed for a 240-pounder, Battle has averaged a scant 3.0 yards per on 51 career carries. In a dismal offense, he's only worth rostering in deep leagues.

I decided to pick him up and drop Bernard Scott. Not to sure about Benson's looming suspension and Leonard is there too. Long shot for a long shot.

I have had Battle rostered in multiple dynasty leagues for the last year or two (can't exactly remember) on the off chance that if something happened to Charles he could get a shot....hoping he can make the most of this opportunity.