[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andre Johnson out 2-3 weeks after procedure

Chloroform Rx

Haven't seen anything posted about this procedure.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Andre Johnson will miss three weeks after undergoing a procedure to prevent scar tissue and "speed the recovery" of his hamstring.

Hamstring surgeries typically require a much longer recovery period, but Johnson's procedure seems more like a cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. He's not having the tendon re-attached to the bone, rather expediting the recovery process. Johnson will miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and likely the Titans over the next three weeks, aiming for a return against the Jags in Week 8. Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter will start this week, though Owen Daniels will likely be the No. 1 weapon in the passing game.

:wacko:

I'm not gonna lie, I don't know what they're talking about - cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. Does anyone have any idea if this 2-3 week timetable is realistic? Has anyone else previously undergone this procedure and do we know how it turned out for them?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same procedure on my elbow....they basically draw your blood, thow it in a centerfuge and separate the platlets. the doc then shoots the platlets back into the injured area increasing the healing. It was acutally a pretty uncomfortable procedure.

Put it this way, it was my last ditch effort before having surgery, I went under the knife a couple months later to repair the tendon.

it says 3 weeks....and with a hamstring injury, I always expect more than 3....like 4-5...

Yep - that is what I was thinking

3 weeks = one week of play before re-injury

5 weeks = more complete healing and possibly finishing the season

So depending where they are at and how bad they will need a win in 3 weeks from now may be the deciding factor if he takes the field or not

I remember they did that "plasma" thing last year for his ankle, and he only missed 1 game before returning and playing well for the next 10 games... I guess it should be noted that he did end up missing the last 2 games, but I'm not sure if that didn't have more to do with them being out of the playoff hunt by then.

However, Andre does have a history of being tough and playing through pain, so I'm going to remain optimistic that with this procedure to speed up the healing process, it can still be closer to the minimum 2-3 weeks. Tough to say though because re-aggravating is different than just playing through pain.

The Huddle just posted this message. AJ might be out longer than the previously stated 3 weeks.

"I received information from a source I trust that contrary to my previous post, Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson did have a surgical procedure on the distal tendon of his hamstring," wrote Stradley. There's been no confirmation from any Texans official yet. Take it for what it's worth but a quick Google to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website says: "Distal hamstring reattachments require approximately 3 months of rehabilitation before returning to athletic activities."

Can anyone confirm that this is actually 3 months ......thats quite significant then just 3 weeks

Im kind of worried because the texans have been hush hush about this not giving an actual date and this could be why

Edited by djk80

"I received information from a source I trust that contrary to my previous post, Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson did have a surgical procedure on the distal tendon of his hamstring," wrote Stradley. There's been no confirmation from any Texans official yet. Take it for what it's worth but a quick Google to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website says: "Distal hamstring reattachments require approximately 3 months of rehabilitation before returning to athletic activities."

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they're not "reattaching" his distal hamstring are they? There was a slight tear which is what the procedure addressed. I'm not an expert in the medical field by any means but "reattachment" doesn't seem like a method of addressing a "slight tear". But what the hell do I know.

that article White Lightning quoted said nothing about a reattachment. All it said was he had a surgical procedure on the distal tendon. I think the writer of the article was just assuming a reattachment without any info. For all we know that plasma procedure we thought he had could be the surgical procedure he had on his tendon.

They said he did some running this week, but not cutting... I dont know, if he's running Im thinking he might actually be on track for a week 8 return... I own him in my local and tried shopping him around in trades but not much takers... I think at this point u just have to wait it out & hope.. The best offer I got was Maclin, and I kind of regret not taking the offer, I mean even if he comes back in week 8, how affective can he be?

On the flip side though, I dont really see any advantage to the Texans not being honest about the injury or time table...

They said he did some running this week, but not cutting... I dont know, if he's running Im thinking he might actually be on track for a week 8 return... I own him in my local and tried shopping him around in trades but not much takers... I think at this point u just have to wait it out & hope.. The best offer I got was Maclin, and I kind of regret not taking the offer, I mean even if he comes back in week 8, how affective can he be?

On the flip side though, I dont really see any advantage to the Texans not being honest about the injury or time table...

they said he was running at a pretty good pace. Could be back week 7 maybe.

imo you're nuts for even considering trading a top 5 wide receiver like andre for maclin.

I dont think its nuts.. What if week 8 is more like week 9? Then its, well we have a bye week 11, so why not let him sit until then... And then by week 12 what if i miss the playoffs since he's been on my bench for the season? I think trading him for something relatively respectable is a very big possibility for any AJ owner.. Just a simple hamstring pull is usually a 3-4 week injury, and we have no clue what extent AJ's is.. Bad enough for him to fall to the floor like a bag of bricks & have surgery on.... They were very cautious with Fosters Hammy, who quick do u think they will really push this?

Edited by Scare Tactics

Hit that panic button a little harder. AJ may be playing week 7, definately week 8.

I honestly dont think its any panic at all... To me its a numbers game.. How many games will he be out + how many games does he come back and probably isnt 100% + the real chance of re injury with a hammy + the state of my team and playoff contention... I have to figure all that out and determine his value to me.. Not his preseason top 3 WR value because thats gone.. I think that all needs to be calculated and a decision made on is it smart to move him and what is the minimum i will take for him that will help my team win games.. Saying he is a top WR and I will not move him unless I get that value in return is just being plain stubborn, and if he sits and or is not healthy until week 12 (wich i think is more likely than not) its definatly worth considering moving on...

I honestly dont think its any panic at all... To me its a numbers game.. How many games will he be out + how many games does he come back and probably isnt 100% + the real chance of re injury with a hammy + the state of my team and playoff contention... I have to figure all that out and determine his value to me.. Not his preseason top 3 WR value because thats gone.. I think that all needs to be calculated and a decision made on is it smart to move him and what is the minimum i will take for him that will help my team win games.. Saying he is a top WR and I will not move him unless I get that value in return is just being plain stubborn, and if he sits and or is not healthy until week 12 (wich i think is more likely than not) its definatly worth considering moving on...

I pulled the trigger last week on Johnson, Ingram, and Julio Jones for Colston, D. Thomas, and B. Marshall. I was 2-3 and felt I needed to win. The guy I traded with was 4-1 so felt he could be patient for Andre to heal. Having Colston this week secured a win for me that I otherwise would have lost. Like you said, it's a numbers game.