[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who are good "Sell High" guys?

gbpackersfan

yeah, take away his 9 TDs and he's having a terrible year :wacko:

I know that sounds silly, but you cant expect 70yd tds every game. I just think if there is someone in your league willing to give up a rb1 and a decent wr2, then its a great time to trade him. But obviously my opinion is the minority.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But he:

- co-leads the league in TDs with AP, even after having missed one game.

- is 4th in yards per game

- is 7th in YPC for backs with 75+ carries.

Based on those numbers, he's clearly top-5 material, to-date. If you think we can the expect the same the rest of the way, he has a pretty strong chance to finish top 10 or higher. Where he clearly stinks is as a pass-catcher so far.

Nobody is 'untouchable' in my mind -- it comes down to what you can get for a player.

If you can get top 5 value for Beanie, then I'd consider trading him. That's not 'selling high' - that's getting someone to pay top value.

"Selling high" is if you're looking to unload him because you think his YTD fantasy performance is just completely out of whack with his rest of season outlook -- I don't think that's the case here -- I think what you're seeing is pretty much what you can expect minus a little regression. It comes down to his role in that offense -- hes clearly 'the guy', with little competition -- not sure why people are expecting that to change.

Edited by nelsosi

Nobody is 'untouchable' in my mind -- it comes down to what you can get for a player.

If you can get top 5 value for Beanie, then I'd consider trading him. That's not 'selling high' - that's getting someone to pay top value.

"Selling high" is if you're looking to unload him because you think his YTD fantasy performance is just completely out of whack with his rest of season outlook -- I don't think that's the case here -- I think what you're seeing is pretty much what you can expect minus a little regression. It comes down to his role in that offense -- hes clearly 'the guy', with little competition -- not sure why people are expecting that to change.

I was just pointing out the inherent contradiction in your post.

- You don't consider him to be a top-10 RB

- You do expect him to continue production at his current pace.

- Facts illustrate he's performing at or near top-5 levels at present

These 3 things, taken together, just don't add up

Beanie also has some tough games remaining on his schedule: Pitt, @ Balt, 2 x vs 49ers, Dallas. W/ Kolb continuing to look like crap, Fitz or no Fitz, I think we're gonna see more teams stack the box. I'm trying to move Beanie (again) this week, but psychology being what it is, many owners are reluctant to trade for players during their BYE week; probably a need for instant gratification.

I know that sounds silly, but you cant expect 70yd tds every game. I just think if there is someone in your league willing to give up a rb1 and a decent wr2, then its a great time to trade him. But obviously my opinion is the minority.

Nobody in my league would give up a RB1 & WR2 for Calvin, at least no a very good RB1. I'm in a keeper and would not give up Calvin for anything short of an Adrian Peterson type player. And most guys in our league won't even consider trading a stud RB like that.

If you have a reasonable backup R. Fitzpatrick is a great sell high guy IMO. Maybe a week to late though... :wacko:

I sold on Fitzpatrick who was my backup last week. 5 player keeper league, Rivers is my starter and Fitz was drafted as a backup. After his first 3 weeks I decided I either need to start him or trade. I started Rivers week 4 (thankfully) then traded Fitz & Jacoby Jones for Kolb & Hardesty to the Schaub owner who was worried about his performance without Andre Johnson. The other owner started Fitz (Schaub outscored him by a ton) and Jacoby Jones now seems to be pretty useless (Walters and the TE benefit from no Andre). While I realized that Kolb was on BYE week 6 like Rivers, so I had to go to waivers for a 1 week starter (Alex Smith)

Fitzpatrick really fit the sell high, but probably dropping some now after 2 off weeks.

Has Dwayne Bowe been mentioned yet?

He was bad in week one, but after that he has been a top WR. He really has the potential to stop producing at some point during the season.

If you believe Bowe is going to plummet, then you could sell high righy now.

I sold on Fitzpatrick who was my backup last week. 5 player keeper league, Rivers is my starter and Fitz was drafted as a backup. After his first 3 weeks I decided I either need to start him or trade. I started Rivers week 4 (thankfully) then traded Fitz & Jacoby Jones for Kolb & Hardesty to the Schaub owner who was worried about his performance without Andre Johnson. The other owner started Fitz (Schaub outscored him by a ton) and Jacoby Jones now seems to be pretty useless (Walters and the TE benefit from no Andre). While I realized that Kolb was on BYE week 6 like Rivers, so I had to go to waivers for a 1 week starter (Alex Smith)

Fitzpatrick really fit the sell high, but probably dropping some now after 2 off weeks.

Is that selling high?

I think you sold low.

Is that selling high?

I think you sold low.

Possibly, but I wasn't getting much in the way of other offers. Another guy was offering some better RB options, but wanted a top (1 or 2) round pick in 2012 draft (we keep 5 so that's a 6 or 7 round pick). I didn't feel like it was worth it, and that owner is a real pain to trade with.

Since Fitzpatrick was likely to sit on my bench, and I didn't expect him to keep up that production (the sell high), I decided to pull the trigger. My RB are pretty weak (BJGE, Starks, DWill, Addai) but the rest of my starters are pretty strong (Rivers, Megatron, Fitzgerald, Gonzo, Gould, Giants-D) so I'm trying to improve my RB situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

For all the crap I got about my "sell high" guys, heres an article that wrote basically the same thing.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...antasy-faceoffs

At the bottom of the article it talks about selling Calvin while hes hot. He even mentions that hes heard of Calvin owners getting some huge value. (Foster/Jennings .. McFadden/Austin .. McCoy/Roddy)

For all the crap I got about my "sell high" guys, heres an article that wrote basically the same thing.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...antasy-faceoffs

At the bottom of the article it talks about selling Calvin while hes hot. He even mentions that hes heard of Calvin owners getting some huge value. (Foster/Jennings .. McFadden/Austin .. McCoy/Roddy)

I commented on that "article" too, saying it's the dumbest possible "article" I've read to date.

Anyone who would trade a (example) McFadden AND a (example) Miles Austin for JUST Calvin Johnson should have his FFB rights revoked

I think I just sold McGahee high. Oddly enough, for a guy who's pretty hyped right now. So, one could say, I sold and bought high. In a 2 QB league, I'm really stuck this week and next (Brady and Ryan) and not exactly fired up about Ryan anyway. So, I gave McGahee for Tebow.

Frankly, I'm not all that excited about the impact Tebow could have on McGahee's rushing totals and, even if Tebow's flame burns too brightly and quickly, perhaps Ryan will get his trip together after the bye and be fien the rest of the season.

My RBs were solid with Gore and Foster leading the way (more so if Foster becomes close to what he was last year) and I merely need some combo of Ingram, D Will, and Jackie Battle to pan out so I can continue to use both flex spots on RBs.

I commented on that "article" too, saying it's the dumbest possible "article" I've read to date.

Anyone who would trade a (example) McFadden AND a (example) Miles Austin for JUST Calvin Johnson should have his FFB rights revoked

Exactly... Once agian, if someone is going to give you a king's ransom or you have needs that make a trade worth doing, then of course, but this seeking to prove that you're "selling high" on Calvin is just ridiculous. Your trade partner giving you an offer you can't refuse is not the same thing as "selling high", otherwise we might as well call them all sell-highs, because literally any player on your roster could fit that criteria with an offer you can't refuse.

I mean, I guess if you can find the guy who believes that he's still going to average 2 TDs a game all year and end up with 30 TDs, but I think you'd call that "buying with stupidity" more than anything...

I agree with Hasselbeck to a degree. Whoever got him, probably got him cheap. More to the point, they probably don't use him and with all the problems at the QB position so early this year he could be trade bait for a team in need. But I also think he will produce for the rest of the season.

The obvious choices have been said already. I will add that Beanie Welles, Ryan Matthews and Jahvid Best are injury prone players with huge upside. Best right now is untradable. Those other two guys scare me just as much. Actually when I think about it Michael Turner does as well. But who you can or can't get for these players depends.

Edited by Seahawk

I agree with Hasselbeck to a degree. Whoever got him, probably got him cheap. More to the point, they probably don't use him and with all the problems at the QB position so early this year he could be trade bait for a team in need. But I also think he will produce for the rest of the season.

The obvious choices have been said already. I will add that Beanie Welles, Ryan Matthews and Jahvid Best are injury prone players with huge upside. Best right now is untradable. Those other two guys scare me just as much. Actually when I think about it Michael Turner does as well. But who you can or can't get for these players depends.

Anyone who could sell Best "high" right now is a damned good salesman.

• 1 month later...

I hate to bring up this thread again just to say "I told you so", but I got mocked pretty good on here.

Wes Welker in 5 games before thread: 45-740-5

Wes Welker in 5 games since thread: 27-266-1

Calvin Johnson in 5 games before: 29-451-11

Calvin Johnson in 5 games since: 30-523-2

Beanie Wells in 4 games before: 381-6

Beanie Wells in 5 game since: 240-1

Feel free to crush me for bringing up this thread just to toot my own horn, but I got ripped pretty hard for making this thread, just thought I would bring it up to prove myself right. :wacko:

Too bad I was only able to trade Welker away. Our league sucks at trading.

Edited by gbpackersfan

Id ont think calvins numbers represent sell high unless you got mccoy and a middling wr for just him.

hes still producing week in and week out at top tier numbers. no one expected him to keep up on that TD pace

dunno why anyone would disagree with selling high on 5'9 wes welker.

and burritoing beanie... dear god who mocked you for saying sell high on the weenie?

i doubt this is the last time vjax single handidly tries to win FF games for people, while green is hurt and a rookie.

i see keeper, i still disagree with "very little cost"

well Im out of contention this year and I keep Dalton for a 16th and AJ Green for a 10th. Also, I should have the first or second pick next year so I can get Foster or A Rodgers

Id ont think calvins numbers represent sell high unless you got mccoy and a middling wr for just him.

hes still producing week in and week out at top tier numbers. no one expected him to keep up on that TD pace

dunno why anyone would disagree with selling high on 5'9 wes welker.

and burritoing beanie... dear god who mocked you for saying sell high on the weenie?

How can you still not say Calvin was a great "sell high" option? Like I said, before this thread he had 11tds in 5 games, after the thread hes had 2 in 5 games. Thats almost the exact definition of a sell high guy. I tried to get a #1 rb for him, but no one in our league trades, or even looks at trades. So I wasnt able to move him.

Read the thread, almost everyone mocked me for trying to sell high on Welker.

And plenty of other people said that Beanie WASNT a sell high option.