[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who are good "Sell High" guys?

gbpackersfan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And plenty of other people said that Beanie WASNT a sell high option.

I admit I was wrong about Beanie. Dead wrong.

Disagree about Calvin though -- he's still been one of the top FF WR since Week 5. And I can't think of any WR I'd rather have for the rest of the season.

Disagree about Calvin though -- he's still been one of the top FF WR since Week 5. And I can't think of any WR I'd rather have for the rest of the season.

Its hard to say. Calvin had 8tds in 5 games at the time I created this thread, I targetted guys like Ray Rice, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, or packages like Mathews/Maclin, Gore/Jennings, etc etc. Unfortunately no one in our league trades, so I wasnt able to complete a deal, but you cant tell me you would rather have Calvin than any of these guys, can you?

Its hard to say. Calvin had 8tds in 5 games at the time I created this thread, I targetted guys like Ray Rice, Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, or packages like Mathews/Maclin, Gore/Jennings, etc etc. Unfortunately no one in our league trades, so I wasnt able to complete a deal, but you cant tell me you would rather have Calvin than any of these guys, can you?

If you go back and read the thread, we said that if you could get a top notch RB, then yes, that would be selling high.... But I suspect that the reason that you couldn't make a deal was the exact reason we mentioned in this thread. Nobody expected them to keep up their other-wordly pace, just to be strong bets to continue to finish near or at the top at their position, which Calvin is still on pace to. Hence the reason why no one bit, is because nobody in your league thought that he could keep up that pace either (otherwise they would have jumped to make a deal)... It's not really helping your case to say that he's a sell-high, when you were unable to sell high.

As for Welker, I'll give you that, you did call it, but never provided any good reason why you believed that he would fall off like he has (besides the obvious idea that he wouldn't keep up the pace that no one thought he would), only that you were expecting him to drop to "6 for 85 with occasional touchdowns", which are still solid WR1 numbers in a PPR league... Also you said you were confident you could get the RB1 you needed for him, so why didn't you? Again, maybe because no one expected him to keep up his otherworldly pace either, but you can't say that you even predicted he'd fall off like he has...

In short, they weren't sell-highs unless you could have predicted that Welker would completely fall off like he has... No one did. You expected him to still put up WR1 numbers, and so that's not a sell-high unless someone is giving you better than WR1 value, or you could have predicted he wouldn't even put up WR1 numbers (which you didn't).

If you go back and read the thread, we said that if you could get a top notch RB, then yes, that would be selling high.... But I suspect that the reason that you couldn't make a deal was the exact reason we mentioned in this thread. Nobody expected them to keep up their other-wordly pace, just to be strong bets to continue to finish near or at the top at their position, which Calvin is still on pace to. Hence the reason why no one bit, is because nobody in your league thought that he could keep up that pace either (otherwise they would have jumped to make a deal)... It's not really helping your case to say that he's a sell-high, when you were unable to sell high.

As for Welker, I'll give you that, you did call it, but never provided any good reason why you believed that he would fall off like he has (besides the obvious idea that he wouldn't keep up the pace that no one thought he would), only that you were expecting him to drop to "6 for 85 with occasional touchdowns", which are still solid WR1 numbers in a PPR league... Also you said you were confident you could get the RB1 you needed for him, so why didn't you? Again, maybe because no one expected him to keep up his otherworldly pace either, but you can't say that you even predicted he'd fall off like he has...

In short, they weren't sell-highs unless you could have predicted that Welker would completely fall off like he has... No one did. You expected him to still put up WR1 numbers, and so that's not a sell-high unless someone is giving you better than WR1 value, or you could have predicted he wouldn't even put up WR1 numbers (which you didn't).

Uhhh.. I gave you an exact reason why Welker wouldnt continue his pace: Aaron Hernandez. His numbers with Hernandez playing, and with him injured are light years in difference. THATS the reason I said to sell high on him. And as I mentioned in a post above, I traded him for Forte, so yes, I was able to sell high on him.

And I was unable to sell high on Calvin because our league has made roughly 4 trades in the last 3 seasons combined. (All of them involving me) No one in our league trades. Hell, 80% of the time I propose a trade it doesnt even get looked at. People are satisfied with the team they draft I suppose. Doesnt mean that Calvin wasnt a good option to sell high on when I posted this thread.

Uhhh.. I gave you an exact reason why Welker wouldnt continue his pace: Aaron Hernandez. His numbers with Hernandez playing, and with him injured are light years in difference. THATS the reason I said to sell high on him. And as I mentioned in a post above, I traded him for Forte, so yes, I was able to sell high on him.

And I was unable to sell high on Calvin because our league has made roughly 4 trades in the last 3 seasons combined. (All of them involving me) No one in our league trades. Hell, 80% of the time I propose a trade it doesnt even get looked at. People are satisfied with the team they draft I suppose. Doesnt mean that Calvin wasnt a good option to sell high on when I posted this thread.

He's still the #1 ranked WR here at Huddle, so you care to explain how "his production has dropped of significantly" from expectations? Note I said expectations, not the pace he was on. If you had found someone who thought he was going to keep up that 32 TD pace all year, I don't think I'd call it selling high, I'd call it selling to an idiot.

You also never predicted Welker would drop off below solid WR1 numbers, so congratulations on getting lucky enough for him to start sucking so you could say you told us so, when you really didn't... If he'd dropped to the numbers you'd posted, he'd still be a top WR, and not a true sell-high.

I'm not going to get into this silly semantical argument with you, but a sell-high is someone you feel is a total fluke to severely drop off, not proven stud producers that might not shatter records that no one believes they would, but still be top producers... But congrats on landing Forte. That was a good deal, and IMO, a bad trade by that owner, no matter how good you felt about Welker.

I have to admit I am confused on this Calvin thing.

His last 5 games:

7 for 113

5 for 115 and a TD

6 for 125 and a TD

7 for 81

5 for 89

So never less than 5 catches. Never less than 81 yards. 2 TD's.

Over those 5 games he has to be a clear top 5 WR in just those 5 games, or close to it. So I am just not sure I understand what we are discussing here. Even with him "slowing down" he has never had a bad game.

AND he has the # 1 WR schedule from today forward.

AND outside of usually meaningless week 17, he has 4 dome games and 1 game in nice Oakland.

So what am I missing on Calvin? Sell high....he still has been a top 5 or so WR the past 5 games. How is that a sell high? YES if you got a stud RB sure do it, but sell high means big dropoff and failling outside the top 15/20 WR's. Welker CLEARLY was a sell high. Calvin I don't see it.

And I bet barring injury he goes on another real solid tear of TD's. Stafford throwing 5 TD's and 0 to Calvin will be a blessing moving forward. Mark that down. Not Calvin or bust for Detroit.

This probably warrants a separate thread, but would you really take Rodgers with the first pick?

I know - a QB with the first is nuts, but the guy with Rodgers won it all last year and is in the driver seat this year - I guess I just have to keep watching Cincy and see how Dalton progresses. He looks like he is going to be great value for a 16th round pick -

All 3 have DRAMATICALLY dropped in production. Whether that falls under your category of "sell high" or not, who knows.

Calvin has dropped from from an insane level to merely a superior WR1 level....and projects as the #1 FF WR for the balance of the season. Still not sure how that justifies your "sell high" call.

Edited by nelsosi

Calvin has dropped from from an insane level to merely a superior WR1 level....and projects as the #1 FF WR for the balance of the season. Still not sure how that justifies your "sell high" call.

Exactly my point. So he went from the CLEAR # 1 WR to maybe a top 5 or so option the past 5 games. AND from today forward projects as the # 1 guy IMO.

Doesn't add up to a sell high IMO. BUT again, if someone is willing to give you an insnae amount for him do it. But that is not a sell high. That goes for any player IMO. Sell high means from today forward you think X players value will drop greatly. Not drop from the clear # 1 WR to a top 5ish guy like he has been the past 5 games, and projects to be # 1 from today forward.

JMHO.

you cant sell high someone who is the highest

if you got an insane deal for calvin, then cool, but that just means you got a great deal for a great player.

jackie battle scored a TD like 4 weeks ago, I tried to shop him around cause i knew that was as good as it was going to get.

that is selling high. trying to move moore (oak) after the first 3 or 4 games of the season, or whatever it was that he was relevant, that is a sell high. BJGE was a sell high guy earlyer in the year. See how selling high goes?

Are all the people that listed Victor Cruz as a "sell high" a couple of weeks ago still onboard with that?

Third highest scoring WR in PPR since week 3. You guys still think it's a fluke? Nicks and Manningham are on the field and Cruz is still outscoring them combined, at least he did last week.

You guys need to wake up on this guy, Manning has taken a shine to him, pretty sure he is his new favorite and I don't expect that to change for the remainder of this season anyway.