[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins in for big changes next season

Flip_Side

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8233..._headline_stack

As the Dolphins prepare for their Monday night matchup with the New York Jets, team owner Stephen Ross is looking ahead to the future.

Ross, apparently not fond of life in the cellar of the AFC East, is determined to acquire a franchise-type quarterback for the 2012 season, according to The Miami Herald. Ross hopes to pair that QB with a high-profile head coach.

Ostensibly, this is terrible news for Chad Henne and Tony Sparano, two men currently employed by the Dolphins at the starting quarterback and coach position, respectively.

A highly placed club source familiar with Stephen Ross’s thinking told The Herald that Ross wants to avoid the continued use of a "caretaker" quarterback and has grown tired of starting QBs who are better suited as backups.

A team source confirmed it was Ross who shut down the proposed Kyle Orton trade from the Broncos during the offseason.

“Orton is a nice quarterback,” the source said. “But he’s not a franchise quarterback, and we weren’t going to pay him like one when he isn’t one.”

Henne and Sparano aren't the only personnel in danger. The Herald reported that bringing in an established head coach might mean ceding additional powers to the hire. That leads to job security questions for general manager Jeff Ireland, a man previously believed to be in Ross' circle of trust.

Ross' plan obviously isn't revolutionary. Every team in football wants the elite QB/top-tier coach, a.k.a. The Patriot Model. That said, the report does give insight into just how radically different the Dolphins could look in 2012.

So he basically just told Sporano that he will not be around in 2012. I guess after trying to find another coach for 2011 without telling Sporano or letting him go, and then deciding to keep him for 2011 after all, this should be no surprise.

Why would any of the players or coaches continue to make any real effort?

I was more or less joking, but on a serious note, who could they get? Very tough to get a good franchise QB...

There will be 3-5 potential ones in the draft next season alone. There's another potential one rotting on New England's bench, and another refusing to report to the Bengals.

There will be 3-5 potential ones in the draft next season alone. There's another potential one rotting on New England's bench, and another refusing to report to the Bengals.

I agree there will be at least 4 1st rd QBs in the 1st rd next year(barring injury) I see 3 going in the top 10 (Luck, Jones, Barkley in that order and "the 3rd" as my son likes to call him could go anywhere from 2 to 32 so with a new coach there is no way i can see them not going QB in the draft.

Do not see Hoyer going to Miami (assuming that is the NE QB you were referring to) and even less chance of Palmer going there. Palmer just doesn't fit the profile of what a rebuilding team does. Ask the Vikings they will tell you how that is working out.

Do not see Hoyer going to Miami (assuming that is the NE QB you were referring to)

Ryan Mallett. The article said looking for "franchise-type" QB and Mallet could be this guy. He would presumably come on the cheaper side, especially if they end up accidentally winning some games and not getting a big boy rookie or just decide to use picks on other needs. Give up a 2 for Mallet, trade your top 5 ala Cleveland last year for 3-4 quality picks - that's a potential plan.

and even less chance of Palmer going there. Palmer just doesn't fit the profile of what a rebuilding team does. Ask the Vikings they will tell you how that is working out.

I tend to agree, but Palmer is only 31 and it's tough to interpret what "franchise-type" means to Ross. It's not a huge stretch to think that a guy with multiple 4k passing seasons and a good 4-5 more years in him is worth taking a look at though.

The tone of the article sounded like Ross was looking for a sure thing. The draft is always a bit of a gamble, although I am sure the sucess Carolina has had this year has opened some eyes, but it is not typically the norm for rookie QB's. I am not sure if Palmer can be considered a franchise QB, he barely cracked the top 20 the last couple years he has played, I think Orton put up better stats. As for the Pats, I assume you are talking about Mallett, I would be surprised to see him go anywhere, never mind within the division. I think the Pats try to keep him around for a bit, but who knows for sure what Belichick is thinking.

Ryan Mallett. The article said looking for "franchise-type" QB and Mallet could be this guy. He would presumably come on the cheaper side, especially if they end up accidentally winning some games and not getting a big boy rookie or just decide to use picks on other needs. Give up a 2 for Mallet, trade your top 5 ala Cleveland last year for 3-4 quality picks - that's a potential plan.

Took me too long to reply, but you have it correct. Hoyer is a servicable back up, Mallett is the guy with the potential...

Don't forgot Matt Flynn on GB's bench. Teddy T. could stockpile more draft picks...

I can't see Sporano coaching all season with 'lame-duck' status. It makes for some awful football ala John Fox in Carolina last season.

Don't forgot Matt Flynn on GB's bench. Teddy T. could stockpile more draft picks...

I can't see Sporano coaching all season with 'lame-duck' status. It makes for some awful football ala John Fox in Carolina last season.

And consider that Flynn is a UFA after this season

Just so I have this correct, because this is really taking me by surprise. Miami wants a different coach and QB? Someone just told me I can crap in a bowl, pull a lever, and have it disappear.

I can only take one of these revelations at a time, so I'm going to assume this nonsense about the Dolphins is all a big joke.

If they're going to make a deal for an unproven QB such as Mallet or Flynn, wouldn't they rather get Luck? Every expert has him labeled as a sure thing.

Too bad the Colts and Dolphins don't play each other....the Colts do get Jacksonville twice though. The Dolphins get KC....

I hope Luck stays in school next year :wacko:

Luck is a senior this year. I hope Luck stays healthy. I hope the Dolphins get Luck. Miami hasn't had a true QB since Marino. The Dolphins need a offensive minded head coach. The slogan "defense wins championships" is crap, you need to score points to win.