[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer to the Raiders

Grits and Shins

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A steep price to pay, but Palmer is a good fit for the Raiders. They already have a solid O-Line and strong running game to go along with dangerous, but young WRs. Palmer is a definite upgrade over Boller and very well could be an upgrade over Campbell. Probably not as prone to making the dumb mistake although not as mobile. Is his arm strength really that diminished? Seemed like he used to throw the deep ball pretty well during Ochocinco's prime. I know he had elbow surgery but at least in baseball, pitchers often come back just as strong or stronger after surgery.

Any time a Charger fan thinks its a good move for the Raiders, we know it's going to stink.... :wacko:

But he still managed over 3,000 yards & 20 TDs each of the past 2 years, in a bad situation. The '09 playoff team was centered around Benson Benson Benson and the offensive scheme called for Palmer to manage games, not win them with his arm.

That's b/c he's not that good anymore.

for a #1 pick? likely to be a mid-teens selection...good to know the Raiders are doing what they can to win now and stay in the hunt, but that seems steep....especially on the news that Campbell is due back in 6 weeks'ish.

Possibly evidence that those estiames on Campbell's return are overly optimistic, and that they don't have a lot of faith in Boller.

Another interesting part of this is what happens in 2012? Who is the starer, who is the backup, are both (Palmer and Campbell) in the mix, or even with the Raiders?

I don't disagree that his stock took a hit after the leg injury, but let's face it, their OL was terrible and for a non-mobile QB, he was getting killed. The Raiders OL is, in my biased opinion, the most improved in the NFL. And yes, Ochocinco & Owens & Housh were talented. WERE. They were also mostly awful people to have chirping in your ear every damned play.

But he still managed over 3,000 yards & 20 TDs each of the past 2 years, in a bad situation. The '09 playoff team was centered around Benson Benson Benson and the offensive scheme called for Palmer to manage games, not win them with his arm.

Wow.

1) Carson enjoyed some of the best pass protection in the league for most of his career. Look it up.

2) Housh was a class act who made headlines for playing hard.

3) Owens came to the Bengals largely based on Palmer's desire for him to be there.

4) And as has been mentioned, he lost a bit more of his edge after each injury.

Wow.

1) Carson enjoyed some of the best pass protection in the league for most of his career. Look it up.

2) Housh was a class act who made headlines for playing hard.

3) Owens came to the Bengals largely based on Palmer's desire for him to be there.

4) And as has been mentioned, he lost a bit more of his edge after each injury.

Wow.

1. for most of his career? you mean for his 1st 4 years. then he got hurt (granted, on a cheap late hit) and was never the same. but their OL in his last few years was NOT great

2. I didn't include Housh, who was gone by 2009, the 2 years we've been discussing here

3. that's all well & good, but Owens is a enchilada and it couldn't possibly have been easy for ANY QB to deal with both he & Chad

4. not disagreeing

AFC West just got interesting for us Charger fans. Haven't had a prime name QB in the division since Cutler left. Sorry, but Cassel, Russell, Campbell, Orton, and Tebow don't scare anyone. Not that Carson scares anyone that much anymore, but at least he's more than a journeyman.

Carson Palmer is TERRIBLE. He doesn't step into throws or play with any confidence whatsoever. At QB, that is more important than smarts or accuracy. I literally would not give a 4th rounder if it meant that Carson Palmer was my QB until 2014. Somebody with the Raiders made this trade based on name recognition and not from watching game tape.

Wow.

1. for most of his career? you mean for his 1st 4 years. then he got hurt (granted, on a cheap late hit) and was never the same. but their OL in his last few years was NOT great

You Clearly didn't look it up. Based on sacks allowed, the Bengal line was consistently in the top 3rd for allowing the fewest sacks. This while playing the Steelers and Baltimore twice every year. He had great protection.

2. I didn't include Housh, who was gone by 2009, the 2 years we've been discussing here

I don't disagree that his stock took a hit after the leg injury, but let's face it, their OL was terrible and for a non-mobile QB, he was getting killed. The Raiders OL is, in my biased opinion, the most improved in the NFL. And yes, Ochocinco & Owens & Housh were talented. WERE. They were also mostly awful people to have chirping in your ear every damned play.

:tup::wacko:

3. that's all well & good, but Owens is a enchilada and it couldn't possibly have been easy for ANY QB to deal with both he & Chad

Too bad he recruited him then. Any trouble Palmer had by having Owens on the team was his own fault.

I literally would not give a 4th rounder if it meant that Carson Palmer was my QB until 2014.

I agree with this sentiment although we could argue the round of the pick.

I just can't believe that Carson Palmer at this point in his career is worth a first round pick , let alone a 1st plus a conditional pick. It seems to me that the Raiders have overvalued their current standing and would have really benefited from a year or two more of building through the draft. Right now, if anything happens to McFadden this team is completely cooked. They need depth to continue the rebuilding - mortgaging high-value draft picks seems very shortsighted when you're clearly more than one puzzle piece away from a complete team.

Hasn't been the same since he was injured. He had some decent players. Bengals made the playoffs a couple years ago.

He has never been the same since those injuries. Arm strength and accuracy: gone.

What a horrendous move by the Raiduhs. Nothing left of the 2012 draft and didn't even get Ricky Williams. :wacko: