[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer to the Raiders

Grits and Shins

A steep price to pay, but Palmer is a good fit for the Raiders. They already have a solid O-Line and strong running game to go along with dangerous, but young WRs. Palmer is a definite upgrade over Boller and very well could be an upgrade over Campbell. Probably not as prone to making the dumb mistake although not as mobile. Is his arm strength really that diminished? Seemed like he used to throw the deep ball pretty well during Ochocinco's prime. I know he had elbow surgery but at least in baseball, pitchers often come back just as strong or stronger after surgery.

My first reaction is, it's really stupid, they should hire better front office and scouting people, be patient and build the team more in the Belichick mold, but this move at least tells the fans, you know what, we're swinging for the fences this year and making a run. When you consider their recent W-L records, their track record with early draft picks, and just the utter intoxication that everyone around that franchise must feel about actually winning games, I guess the move doesn't reek of complete insanity . I genuinely hope Palmer does well, but you can't deny there is going to be a big gap starting next year with a lack of young talent coming in that will have ripple effects into future years. They have effectively surrendered next year's draft and it's going to set them back even in 2013 and beyond when next year's rookies would be developing into key contributors and pro-bowlers.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's say this...we had quesadillas and that went well. She's really sweet and has the cutest southern accent. We get back to the crib, I put on some Jay-Z and roll a fatty. One thing leads to another, next thing you know we're on the leather sofa going at it pretty good. I just had to know one way or the other, so I grab for it...no bulge! So it's cool I think to myself, we can make this happen. Take her in the bedroom, she disrobes, and there is a massive tattoo of an M1 Abrams tank across her chest, with Jack Del Rio's head poking through the top. I recoiled in horror, tried to run to the bathroom but vomited before I could get there. Gave her the cab fare and she mercifully left.

did s/he tuck and like to be called lola?

:tup:

To be honest, I really like the move.

This is an organization that has never believed in building through the draft, and they're showing that's something they're still committed to. Is two first round picks a little steep for a guy who hasn't played in awhile? Absolutely. But the risk is what makes this so intriguing as far as I'm concerned.

It's important to look at how this trade happened - because there is a series of "accidents" if you will, that actually make this a once in a lifetime trade that you really haven't seen before, and will probably never see again from a team.

Coaches want to win now, and a GM's job is to ensure success over a long period of time. It's very apparent that this is a Hue Jackson trade, but it's the implications of what that means that makes it so unique; we never see "win now" trades like this because GMs always veto - There's no safety net for long-term detriment to the team so they absolutely oppose. Well, with the passing of Al Davis a week ago, the Raiders don't have a GM. Amy Trask and Mark Davis don't have the football savvy that Al possessed - so there is really no presence in the front office that can keep perspective and argue against. So with no one to tell Hue "No, you can't trade away our draft picks for old people" - he hit the market a day after his starting QB went down.

Lastly, Jackson has a relationship with both Palmer and Brown. He knew what he would get with Palmer once he shakes the rust off (capabilities on the field, leadership and work ethic off the field) - so he was willing to take the risk. Would most coaches be willing to do that? No, not at all. But Jackson has been Palmer's coach at both the collegiate and professional level. Hue is also probably one of the few head coaches that could convince Brown to release him from exile. If other teams had known that Palmer was obtainable, regardless of the price, they would have come knocking as well (Miami?).

So really, it was only because Davis passed away, Campbell went down and the trade deadline approached all within the same week, and the fact that Hue was Palmer's coach throughout his career and came from the Bengals that this trade was able to fall into place.

"So what?" you're asking? So nothing. Just interesting to consider the circumstances for how this huge trade fell into place and why we probably won't see it again.

Will Palmer have some rust to shake off? Absolutely. Don't expect to see him until Week 9 at home against Denver. But he and Hue have a relationship - which will help the transition back into football and into the Raiders' offense. Does Palmer have the best deep arm in the league? No. But he showed in Cinncy he has great accuracy at the medium range, and isn't horrible at deep passes. With the Raiders' run game already in place and a very deep and talented receiving corps in DHB, Ford, Moore, Murphy and Schillens - I really do anticipate some success from Palmer. The AFC West comes down to Oakland and San Diego - and the two teams play in Week 10 and Week 17. If everyone stays healthy, we will be seeing some great AFC football.

The ultimate question is - can Carson win the Raiders a Superbowl? :wacko: I don't know.

It's going to be a tough road through the AFC in the playoffs this season. We barely beat Houston. We played well against the Pats until Campbell threw some picks - and then it fell apart. Could our O-Line and run defense handle Baltimore? Tough to say.

It took us a series of interesting events for Palmer to land on our roster, and I think it would take another series of fortunate events to land in the big dance. If the Raiders O-Line and DMC can stay healthy while other teams struggle with injuries late in the season, and Palmer is 3/4 of what he was in Cinncy, it could be a very interesting post-season for the Raiders. I don't think it's impossible.

Or he could come out and just plain suck.

Nice post, thanks man...

ESPN is reporting Palmer is unlikely to start.

"I'm 95 percent sure he is not going to play," one source close to the situation said Friday afternoon. "Practicing Wednesday and Thursday, he felt he's not ready to make those high-velocity throws yet. Maybe they could decide something at the last minute, but I don't think he's going to play."

When Oakland acquired Palmer this week, certain Raiders coaches expected their new quarterback would start Sunday, though head coach Hue Jackson has maintained Palmer will be a game-time decision.

Raiders offensive coordinator Al Saunders even told a Kansas City radio station that if Palmer "is breathing, he's playing."

But as the week has gone on, and Palmer has shared reps with both Kyle Boller and Terrelle Pryor, it has become obvious that it would not be a simple transition from injured Jason Campbell to Palmer.

Frustrating to be a Raider fan that actually understands football today.

Listening to sports radio... "Palmer sucks, Raiders made a horrible mistake, What the heck are they going to do?" etc. etc...

Well jeez guys... you want my take on it? Hue said Palmer wasn't ready to play. Guess what? He wasn't.

And for the sake of his confidence, he never should have taken the field.

Time for the bye week, and time to prep for Denver.

Frustrating to be a Raider fan that actually understands football today.

Listening to sports radio... "Palmer sucks, Raiders made a horrible mistake, What the heck are they going to do?" etc. etc...

Well jeez guys... you want my take on it? Hue said Palmer wasn't ready to play. Guess what? He wasn't.

And for the sake of his confidence, he never should have taken the field.

Time for the bye week, and time to prep for Denver.

He's obviously better than that. It was still one of the worst trades i can remember.

One possibility is that Hue Jackson did the deal because Raider coaches don't last long (not that any NFL HC does but maybe more so in the case of the Raiders) so who cares about future picks and the implications 3 years down the road. You have to try to win now to even have a tomorrow. I mean, off the top of my head, Callihan, Norv, Art, Cable... I don't think any were there for 3 years. So maybe in the coaches opinion you have to get what you can to win in the immediate future. If Palmer does pan out for this season and next, it's probably a solid deal for a Raiders coach. :wacko:

One possibility is that Hue Jackson did the deal because Raider coaches don't last long (not that any NFL HC does but maybe more so in the case of the Raiders) so who cares about future picks and the implications 3 years down the road. You have to try to win now to even have a tomorrow. I mean, off the top of my head, Callihan, Norv, Art, Cable... I don't think any were there for 3 years. So maybe in the coaches opinion you have to get what you can to win in the immediate future. If Palmer does pan out for this season and next, it's probably a solid deal for a Raiders coach. :wacko:

Good Point!

That's exactly why the trade was made. Raiders have no gm. What the hell does Hue Jackson care about 3 years down the road.