[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gruden Extension

Whiskey Pimp

This doesn't mean he's not going to coach, it just ups the price for him. No way he signs an extension without an out clause and even if he did he's just tack w/e cost of litigation/breach onto the hiring team.

I do love him on MNF though, and am glad they have committed to keeping him around. He and Jaws are the best combo we've had in forever.

Edited by flemingd

I don't expect him to return to coaching anytime soon. He really seems to enjoy broadcasting, and has made comments several times about how it is easier to be up in the booth instead of on the field.

You are right that the extension doesn't mean he won't return to coaching, but it does make it less likely IMO. Teams will have to pay more, possibly an unknown amount if he wants them to cover litigation (if there isn't an easy out).

Agree that he and Jaws are a very good pair in the booth.

Listening to Gruden and Jaworski makes me want to punch babies.

Why? Joe Buck fan?

Other than their personalities clashing at times, there are probably only a handful of booths I'd rather watch call games then them.

As for Gruden, with all the time and BS head coaches have to go through, you'd have a hard time pulling me out of that cushy booth to go back, just to get canned if/when you're team hist a losing skid.

I don't expect him to return to coaching anytime soon. He really seems to enjoy broadcasting, and has made comments several times about how it is easier to be up in the booth instead of on the field.

You are right that the extension doesn't mean he won't return to coaching, but it does make it less likely IMO. Teams will have to pay more, possibly an unknown amount if he wants them to cover litigation (if there isn't an easy out).

Agree that he and Jaws are a very good pair in the booth.

Agreed on all counts.

I think Gruden would be coaching already if that's what he wanted to do. He's good in the booth, it's way less stressful than coaching and probably pays darn near the same (maybe more :wacko: ). I see Gruden as a lifelong analyst at this point.

I absolutely loathe Gruden as an announcer.

Couldn't disagree more. I like both the SNF and MNF crews and I usually detest announcers to the point of hitting the Mute button. Gruden, Jaws and Tirico are a colossal upgrade over the likes of Dennis Miller and Kornholer.

After some of the absolute trash some networks have foisted upon NFL fans, Gruden is just fine by me. I wonder how much he got paid? Heck, competitive juices go so far, but if he is making as much as he would as a coach, he has a family life now, a cushy job, why go back to working 90 hour weeks? Along with all that pressure? I don't think he's great in the booth, but he's agreeable enough.

i wish the texans would fire gary kubiak and hire gruden.

I wished the Browns would have hired Gruden any number of times in the last few years when they were looking for a new coach. Of course

1) Gruden needs to want to return to coaching

2) Gruden needs to interested in the particular team that wants to hire him

3) Gruden will want a lot of control and some teams may not want to give it to him

I'm not sure that 1 even happens, let alone 2 or 3 for Browns, Texans, Dolphins, or any number of other teams that have been or will be looking for a new coach. (PS I am happy with Shurmur now and hoped that with Holmgren at the top the whole organization would be improved in a few years. Still holding out hope.)