[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WR Slot position

Scooby's Hubby

What makes an ideal slot receiver and why? Where does it say that a slot WR has to be short? I have seen Witten and other TEs motiion to the slot, what would you call NE and their TEs? Just because Wes Welker is short and excels at the slot, that doesn't mean the slot has to be short to succeed. A guy like Welker is not tall enough for the outside, so is that why "experts" say he is best suited for the slot? Couldn't your slot WR be tall? I have never understood why the so called "experts" refer to a WR as a "good slot receiver". IMO a slot WR must have great hands and find the open spot on the field - tall or short, fast or slow.

FWIW, hearing the discussion of Victor Cruz - whether or not he is better suited as a slot WR or outside WR - as if a WR measurables answers that question has been irking me somewhat :wacko: and yes, I have both Cruz and Manningham on one team :tup:

The advantage of the slot receiver is that they do not have to fight the jam at the line like an outside receiver who is matched on a cornerback. So smaller guys can fare better in the slot and bigger guys are, generally speaking, better at getting through jams at the line. But there are some slot receivers who are very tall (David Nelson is 6'5").

If you want to generically speak, the split end is your fast guy who can go deep and is probably medium to tall. The flanker is the possession guy who goes over the middle and has enough size to weather getting bashed a lot but not quite the speed that the split end has. And the slot guy is the smaller guy in the mold of Welker who can make all the catches all over the field.

The roles of the receivers are very much in flux for the past 3 or 4 years. But more than anything, it is a talent thing as to where a receiver plays and what they are bests suited for - not size. The majority of "stud" WRs play split end mostly but move all over the field and play all three positions in the game.

I think DMD is onto something there.

It's not the size, it's the abilities each guy has. You need WRs who have either enough muscle or immediate acceleration to beat the physical play at the LoS with CBs, and then are athletic enough to win fights for balls that stay in the air longer. Harrison was not exceptionally big, but he got to top speed so damned quickly and then was strong as hell in dogfights for footballs that he made a great outside guy despite his lack of overwhelming size.

Your slot guy has to be fearless to operate through the middle, and he is a guy that you want to have great open field skills - you're looking at a receiver who has some RB in him to play there.

I think that's why you see the bigger, rangier, uber-atheltic type guys gravitate to the outside and the smaller, more compact, tough nosed guys lean to playing in the slot.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The advantage of the slot receiver is that they do not have to fight the jam at the line like an outside receiver who is matched on a cornerback. So smaller guys can fare better in the slot and bigger guys are, generally speaking, better at getting through jams at the line. But there are some slot receivers who are very tall (David Nelson is 6'5").

If you want to generically speak, the split end is your fast guy who can go deep and is probably medium to tall. The flanker is the possession guy who goes over the middle and has enough size to weather getting bashed a lot but not quite the speed that the split end has. And the slot guy is the smaller guy in the mold of Welker who can make all the catches all over the field.

The roles of the receivers are very much in flux for the past 3 or 4 years. But more than anything, it is a talent thing as to where a receiver plays and what they are bests suited for - not size. The majority of "stud" WRs play split end mostly but move all over the field and play all three positions in the game.

This.

I think DMD is onto something there.

It's not the size, it's the abilities each guy has. You need WRs who have either enough muscle or immediate acceleration to beat the physical play at the LoS with CBs, and then are athletic enough to win fights for balls that stay in the air longer. Harrison was not exceptionally big, but he got to top speed so damned quickly and then was strong as hell in dogfights for footballs that he made a great outside guy despite his lack of overwhelming size.

Your slot guy has to be fearless to operate through the middle, and he is a guy that you want to have great open field skills - you're looking at a receiver who has some RB in him to play there.

I think that's why you see the bigger, rangier, uber-atheltic type guys gravitate to the outside and the smaller, more compact, tough nosed guys lean to playing in the slot.

And this.

What makes an ideal slot receiver and why? Where does it say that a slot WR has to be short? I have seen Witten and other TEs motiion to the slot, what would you call NE and their TEs? Just because Wes Welker is short and excels at the slot, that doesn't mean the slot has to be short to succeed. A guy like Welker is not tall enough for the outside, so is that why "experts" say he is best suited for the slot? Couldn't your slot WR be tall? I have never understood why the so called "experts" refer to a WR as a "good slot receiver". IMO a slot WR must have great hands and find the open spot on the field - tall or short, fast or slow.

FWIW, hearing the discussion of Victor Cruz - whether or not he is better suited as a slot WR or outside WR - as if a WR measurables answers that question has been irking me somewhat :wacko: and yes, I have both Cruz and Manningham on one team :lol:

as soon as I read this thread, I knew you were gonna bid on Salas tonight. Outbid me. Bassturd! :tup:

I would assert that there is a difference between speed and quickness -- when you're talking the bigger, physical receivers like your CJs and AJs, their strength is creating separation on intermediate and longer routes...longer legs, longer strides, better top-end speed, then leaping, having a big target area where they can reach over the defender and come down with the ball, and some physicality and body control to keep possession as they come down. The little guys have more burst and quickness on those crucial first 5 steps...run to a spot, cut quick, run to another spot, turn and look for the ball in a very short interval. Shorter legs, quicker slashing strides, easier change of direction. Obviously a good offense can utilize both types of guys in different situations, and the slot is where you need a quick open target on 3rd down, when you know the defense is in your QB's face and he needs to unload it to an open receiver quickly. Where can he find that open guy -- hopefully running free across the middle, with an initial burst just quick enough to separate from a nickel corner or LB. In most cases, he gets nailed shortly after making the grab but if you executed correctly it's enough to move the chains.