[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gates Practicing Again

Endzone

His most recent interview didn't instill me with alot of hope for being productive the rest of the season. I think he'll take pain-killing injections and see how long he can go. His foot is a mess.

His most recent interview didn't instill me with alot of hope for being productive the rest of the season. I think he'll take pain-killing injections and see how long he can go. His foot is a mess.

Yeah, I got the same thing out of the interview, and from all of the beat writers out there in SD. I finally landed him in two leagues after never having him before this year.

I don't think he's startable until he plays through a game and then practices the following Thursday/Friday. I see a lot of game time decisions.

I think the way this year has played out so far has made us forget just how dominant Gates can be when he is playing. It has also made us forget how tough he is.

I personally would rather have Gates productive for the stretch and playoffs than for the first six weeks. Last year was the opposite.

For the record, I have always been a HUGE Gates fan. I was the guy who reached to draft him every year in my league.

That said, Gates is now damaged goods. He has a chronic injury which will nag him for the rest of his career. Combined with the fact that SD has better weapons around him than ever before, and I think it's safe to say his best days are behind him.

Sad to say but I call it like I see it.

I tend to draft at least one player like Gates every year. The other angle to this is that the Chargers usually don't start 4-1 under Turner. If they keep winning then there's no reason to keep Gates on a full snap count. I really see a scenario where Matthews and the run game, after 3 years of muddling through with an overworked LT and Matthews' rookie season, finally gets going again and diminishes the need for Gates to move the chains and get all those RZ TDs.

I cut bait 2 weeks ago via trade. Whenever the positive news is that scar tissue tore which will allow it to heal stronger, time to move. But maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I got the same thing out of the interview, and from all of the beat writers out there in SD. I finally landed him in two leagues after never having him before this year.

I don't think he's startable until he plays through a game and then practices the following Thursday/Friday. I see a lot of game time decisions.

Same exact situation for me, PON. I'd prefer if he were shut down another week or two (if rest will help) and have him a go for the rest of the year.

Homers...Does he look in shape...Lost some weight? I think he will be active on Sunday.

Gates was available on waiver but I opted for F.Davis and dumped Keller

Nobody in the league 10 teamer picked him up as of yet because we have a thin bench and its difficult to stash guys away especially with bye weeks.

In your league has teams dumped Gates or "holding and hoping"?

He is not in game shape and has not lost weight.

This is probably the worst of it. I had no doubts about his ability to play through pain. For me, what tipped the decision in favor of a trade was his weight and conditioning. He looks heavy and sluggish which only compounds his pain and likelihood of another injury.

He is not in game shape and has not lost weight.

He did look fat and slow against the Pats. This news may make me bench him even if he does suit up. If he looks like an o-lineman, he may not be able to get seperation.

He did look fat and slow against the Pats. This news may make me bench him even if he does suit up. If he looks like an o-lineman, he may not be able to get seperation.

I watched the whole pats game closely as both a Pats fan and a gates owner. What I saw was him trying to play through the pain and limitations that his foot was obviously causing him. I don't think it has anything to do with him being "fat and slow." He's slowed by the injury itself. And then he was removed for the last two series because he just couldn't go on anymore. You could see him on the sideline having the "I just can't do it" conversation with one of the coaches. I was the first one here to state that I thought it was his foot injury resurfacing after seeing that, while it seemed everybody else was saying "it was just the Pats defense game planning to take him out of the game with double and triple teams." That wasn't the case however, he did see some single coverage but I could tell he wasn't moving right. I also stated I thought it would be best for him to just go on IR so he could hopefully give it time and allow the injury to heal properly this time around instead of constantly reaggravating and making it worse the way he did last year, as plantar fascitis injuries can tend to take a long time to heal, especially if reaggravated. If he takes pain killing injections for it in order to play he's a fool. If his foot is in pain it's trying to tell him something and he needs to listen to it. By masking the pain through taking medication all he's doing is ignoring the fact that his foot is trying to tell him that it's not healed and is being further damaged by what he's currently doing to it, and he won't be fully 100% effective in that case if he's playing through it to begin with. It would be really nice if it could actually be fully healed for the last few games of the season just by giving it time and not overdoing it, but I'm not optimistic about that.

Edited by Crazysight

I also stated I thought it would be best for him to just go on IR so he could hopefully give it time and allow the injury to heal properly this time around instead of constantly reaggravating and making it worse the way he did last year, as plantar fascitis injuries can tend to take a long time to heal, especially if reaggravated. If he takes pain killing injections for it in order to play he's a fool. If his foot is in pain it's trying to tell him something and he needs to listen to it. By masking the pain through taking medication all he's doing is ignoring the fact that his foot is trying to tell him that it's not healed and is being further damaged by what he's currently doing to it, and he won't be fully 100% effective in that case if he's playing through it to begin with. It would be really nice if it could actually be fully healed for the last few games of the season just by giving it time and not overdoing it, but I'm not optimistic about that.

From what I've read this is him breaking through scar tissue and is a pain tolerance thing more than a re-injury type thing.

3-2-NYJ 2 (12:15) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass short right to A.Gates for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

Think what might have been if he could have played every snap like in the old days. :sigh: