[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What year did you start playing FF?

STL Fan

Another thread made me curious about how long you guys and gals have been doing this. My main local was founded in 1993, and yes, our commish at the time had to dig stats out of the newspaper on Tuesday morning, type up a bulletin and "snail mail" it to the league. Seems like a million years ago. The first player I ever drafted I believe was Ricky Watters.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1999, made the finals my first year and was hooked. I have a friend that's been in a hockey league (South County, STL) since 1988, they used the paper until 1995 or 96'. I'm pretty sure that roto style baseball and or hockey was created in the Lou in the early 80's. This league is one of the oldest I've heard of, personally.

Edited by King Tut

1991 in my first local....and yep, it was a scouring of the stats in the local paper to determine who scored what. We kept it real simple for that reason....TD only, except for 3-point bonus if someone went over 300-yards passing or 100-yards rushing/receiving. Deductions for turnovers also applied.

Started playing salary leagues in 1991, first local draft league was in 1994. Newspapers, yes. Could have never envisioned where it has gone since then.

<-------- 2004 was my first year. Same 10 guys since then. I came in and replaced a guy who was in for their first 2 years, so I'm the "n00b" in the league with this being my 8th year with these guys of their 10 years. We've held a draft at Lambeau, our old work (my first year) where the league started, at my house... all the while on ESPN. What's kind of odd, is we're not really ones to hang out, really at all. But it's like we're all long-lost friends when we meet up every year. And this league is cut-throat. No newspapers though. Fortunate enough to have DSL by then.

Was in a 1year 8 team league with friends around 2000 when Fanball was still new and good. Joined a league at the golf course where I worked the next year and have been in the same league since. About half the league is still the same guys, the other half goes from 2-8 years in the league with most being in in the 5-6 year range. Only about half still work at the same place where it all started but have continued on with the league and nobody has any thoughts of dropping out. So no newspapers on my end, only Fanball now rolled to ESPN.

I did "help" a friend in high school who was in a league with the teachers, one of whom was his dad... that was early 90's.

1993 (wow almost 20 years now), and yes we used the newspaper to do our scores for a few years. Me and my co-comish (same 2 guys are still in charge today) would both enter the stats separately, possibly from different papers and then compare them on Tuesday. (I remember sitting at my PC watching MNF doing the stats each week.) Scoring was very simple, TD and FG only, no Defense and no yardage bonuses.

Have no idea who the first player was that I drafted. We did the draft for a few years at the co-commishs house around his pool table & bar in the basement. League was a mix of coworkers and friends of the co-commish.

A few years after this we started using the PC based precursor to MFL (with downloaded stats but no web site etc.) and called or emailed our line-ups to the commish.

Still have about 8 of the original 12 owners, and a couple more from a temporary expansion to 16 in the early years.

Last year :wacko:. But I am also from Europe. American Football has only been big for maybe 10 years. I watched NFL for many years before I/we discovered NFL Fantasy Football. We have played NFL picks for years though.

Now Fantasy is my entire life, kind of sad actually.

Last year was just a try out year. We all sucked so bad, you wouldn't believe.

1992, I was 13 years old. It was a 24-team league. Me and a buddy selected a team for his dad. All I remember from the draft is that everybody got so drunk the draft took like 10 hours. The commissioner who wrote the picks on the board had to be replaced about halfway through the draft so he could pass out. Yeah, we certainly used the newspaper. The next year I started a league with a bunch of guys on my baseball team, and we played basketball and baseball as well. If you thought football was hard, try keeping weekly basketball and baseball stats from a newspaper. The fun part was lots of times the west coast games wouldn't make it in that night's paper, so we had to wait until Tuesday to finish the last few games. Fun times.

1990 and I bought an Athlon NFL magazine and drafted according to the 1989 stats in the back. I became the scorer for my league and did it by hand for several years. USA Today was the only place for news for all teams on THU and FRI they would have like one line for each team.

1998 first year a got a PC with Internet. My first pick was Curtis Martin (just signed with the Jets) at 1.12 and picked up Steven Davis RB Was at 2.1 won the league running away and wasn't invited back. Played my first Keeper league(took over an orphaned team) came in 2nd that year then won the next 2 then that league disbanded. in 2005 joined my first Dynasty league and still looking for a championship (6-0 right now so maybe this year) I am in 2 Dynasty leagues right now and 3 redrafts and helping my 13 yr old son with his redraft league. After playing in Dynasty leagues, redrafts just aren't the same. Will probably be the last year i do them.