[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What year did you start playing FF?

STL Fan

I think around 1994ish - maybe a few years earlier? It's been so long. I remember that we have to send our lineups in to the commish via snail mail and it had to be post marked the day before any games started. Scoring was done via pencil and paper and math and a new paper. Ahhhh....the old days

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1993? Mostly coaches here at school, ten of us. Total points league. Lots of scoring rules. Everything done from the newspaper. Think my first player was Emmitt. That league has grown into two 16-owner leagues that both use auctions. We have a waiting list of about a half a dozen.

I was breifly in one from 1999-2001 and left since there was too much complaining. Joined another 10 team league in 2002 and now it's a 12 team league and a lot of fun. Now play three but the original is the most fun since we all know each other and the trash talk is good.

1990 was my first year, I was 13. I won that first year, and that league is still running today. We used the USA Today as official scorer after getting different scores at times out of the local rags. Used the National for a season or two. As a local, I saw everybody in person every week.

Did my first 'other' league in 1995. Live draft with all men (30+ old) and a buddy and I drove two hours from UNH down into Mass for the draft. They rented out the function room of a Chinese restaurant. I think we were the only sober ones, being under age. Drafted Terrell Davis as our last pick in the draft after hearing he'd be the starter earlier that day, and got the :wacko: looks from the room. We laughed all the way to the Championship that year. Been officially hooked ever since. :tup:

It was way back late 80's end like I said in other post we never had add/drops except at half time ( after 8 games played )

remember there were no bye weeks then , anyways at half time you were allowed add / drops and it went in order of team scoring.

No H2H only total points back then

Mid eighties, don't remember which year exactly. A league was started at my dads workplace. He really didn't know much about football so he recruited me and we ran it together. I made all the draft picks and submitted weekly rosters. He paid all the bills.

eta: Scoring was done by hand using San Francisco Comical sports section

Edited by slambo

1996 was football, this after doing roto baseball since probably 1982. USA Today was the official weapon of choice and Microsoft Works was the original godsend for commissioners. That league didn't go online until 2005 and has followed me from Columbus to DC to St. Louis over the years.

1996 was football, this after doing roto baseball since probably 1982. USA Today was the official weapon of choice and Microsoft Works was the original godsend for commissioners. That league didn't go online until 2005 and has followed me from Columbus to DC to St. Louis over the years.

I have heard of leagues not on line until about then but only TD only leagues

2007, did an autopick redraft w/IDP's with the guys at work (Predraft Rankings, what's that? Wound up with Leinert, Fitz and Boldin, along with TD-averse FWP, lol.) They needed to fill out a H2H and asked me if I wanted in. It was $30 to play and I knew I had no chance but said heck with it, chance to get to know my coworkers on an outside of work activity - I finished 7-9 and absolutley hooked.

Did fantasy baseball back in 1989-ish, used Baseball Weekly as our source.....Wow that was tedious.

I started in the mid-1990s, in college. I don't remember how we did scoring (I want to say that we did fantasy through ESPN's Web site, but can that be right?).

In 1998, I joined a 10-team league at work. The commissioner did the scoring from Monday's box scores. We had to call his voicemail at work for last-minute lineup changes so that he would have a record of the time-stamp. Scoring was 100 points for each touchdown and 1 point per yard. I remember one week in which I lost by 3 points. I went back and combed through the box scores and found that one of my opponent's starters, Keenan McCardell, had one rush for -3 yards, so I pointed it out and got the tie.

I figured I was in one of the older leagues (1993), but there are a lot of us from the early 90's and even late 80's (wow.) We did our lineups and add/drops via voicemail. When we started, no one outside the league had the slightest idea what we were doing or why were having so much fun. All they knew was that being around all of us when we talked FF was exceptionally painful.

First league in 1988; don't remember much about the team other than I had Thurman Thomas. A few guys from that league were founding members of the 2VFFL in 1990; that league still exists and boasts 10 (of 12) original members. I was a founding member of another league in 1989; that league also still exists, with four (of 8) original members, though it's grown to a 10-team league. That league has gone to an auction format, yet it's still TD-only.

Not only do I recall getting the box scores out of the paper and computing them by hand, there was a radio show on the local all-sports station where they quite literally read box scores on Sunday nights. And if the Timberwolves played, they didn't come on until after midnight. Yet there I was, pen in hand, scribbling down how many yards Cleveland Gary got just so I could find out how my team did six hours before anybody else.

2V

Believe it or not, my first league was in 1982. I still have the Monday newpaper clippings with the stats for all NFL teams. It is an 8 man league that is still going strong today. We thought it was a big deal when USA Today went into publication. We didn't have to go to the public library to read out ot town newspapers to get player info.

Been playing quite a while. Made the classic rookie mistake and took Brontosaurus as my first pick because he was so cool, when T Rex was dominating the league. :wacko:

Rumor is you never played FF ,, just hang around the message boards and talk about 1.0009888521 :lol:

opps I always get Gritts & BB confused :tup:

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

1998 first year a got a PC with Internet. My first pick was Curtis Martin (just signed with the Jets) at 1.12 and picked up Steven Davis RB Was at 2.1 won the league running away and wasn't invited back. Played my first Keeper league(took over an orphaned team) came in 2nd that year then won the next 2 then that league disbanded. in 2005 joined my first Dynasty league and still looking for a championship (6-0 right now so maybe this year) I am in 2 Dynasty leagues right now and 3 redrafts and helping my 13 yr old son with his redraft league. After playing in Dynasty leagues, redrafts just aren't the same. Will probably be the last year i do them.

1984 used the Seattle Times first player I drafted was Elway

Since 1992. It was a group of friends from my church. We used the Seattle Times sports section for computing totals and called our lineups/waiver wire requests in by phone. I had the third overall pick and was delighted when the guy picking second took randall Cunningham, leaving Emmit Smith to me(Sanders was first overall).