[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jahvid Best "advised to sit out rest of season"

gbpackersfan

Valid point, but don't NFL players get physicals pretty regularly, at least once a season. Or are they not as thorough as when a player is traded?

Good for him that they found this tumor, hopefully it can be dealth with. I guess it was a lucky break then.

Valid point, but don't NFL players get physicals pretty regularly, at least once a season. Or are they not as thorough as when a player is traded?

Good for him that they found this tumor, hopefully it can be dealth with. I guess it was a lucky break then.

the really? part was to ask if you really thought that an NFL team would jerk around anther NFL team and a player too...and under your scenario, a player that would not be leaving their team.

Just seemed sort of :wacko: to me is all

Edited by keggerz

NFL RB FAs from link

Clinton Portis

Julius Jones

Correll Buckhalter

Brian Westbrook

Sammy Morris (FB)

Laurence Maroney

Kevin Jones

Kevin Smith

LenDale White

Michael Bennett

Patrick Cobbs

Chauncey Washington

Mike Bell

Aaron Brown

Dimitri Nance

Jalen Parmele

Thomas Clayton

Dominic Rhodes (suspended one year)

Mike Hart

Ken Darby

Chad Simpson

Xavier Omon

Martell Mallett

Michael Bennett

Ladell Betts

Tyrell Sutton

Garrett Wolfe

DeShawn Wynn

Quinton Ganther

Chris Jennings

Albert Young

Javarris Williams

Lynell Hamilton

Herb Donaldson

Charles Scott

Stafon Johnson

Any guesses who they might bring in? I guess Kevin Smith's career is really done :wacko:

I could see Sammy Morris, LenDale White, or Mike Bell. LenDale looked pretty good with DEN and didn't make the team cuz he doesn't play special teams. I'm not up on Morris or Bell.

Westbrook helped me win a championship last year when he started for the the 49ers. I think there's something left in the tank for Westy. He's a perfect fit for DET if you ask me.

Awesome, just traded for Best and Maclin for McFadden/Bush. :wacko: Least I landed MM off waivers when I had Brown ahead of him on the priority list.

But good luck Best, I've had a few concussions myself, a nasty one playing a backyard tackle football game, a lesser one in a car accident.

Edited by PPIchamp

If Best remains out for the balance of the season, I would expect them to add another back or two and they could have nice value. You do not need to go grab some over-the-hill has been who will pull a hammy in a week. Guys like LeGarrette Blount, Samkon Gado, Danny Woodhead, Keiland Williams (already there), Marcel Shipp, Willie Parker, Fred Jackson, etc. were all undrafted and in some cases on multiple teams before they got a chance to do something for a season or more. The DET offense is not going to be giving anyone 20+ carries a week though, so no matter what the guy will be limited whoever it is.

Traded Cam Newton straight up, for Best, on Saturday night. I wouldn't have done it if my existing RB's weren't brutal (Addai/Hightower/Bush/etc.).... plus, I still have Vick, so I'm OK at QB, but this news (that Best might be out for the year) makes me ill. I could have kept Cam in that league for the next 5+ years. Crap. Might end up being my worst trade decision in FF ever. :wacko:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8234...best-for-season

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora cited a source with knowledge of the situation in reporting that the Lions don't plan to shut down Best indefinitely at this point and are handling his concussion according to normal league protocol.

I'm with you on this one. As you mentioned in an earlier post, "people close to Best..." probably mean his immediate family and of course they would like to see him shut it down. Everything I've heard about this concussion is that it was mild. Maybe I'm just overly optimistic being a Best owner, but I'm not freaking out.... yet. Other than the "people close to him" - I haven't seen anything that would indicate him missing a lot of time :wacko:

Traded Cam Newton straight up, for Best, on Saturday night. I wouldn't have done it if my existing RB's weren't brutal (Addai/Hightower/Bush/etc.).... plus, I still have Vick, so I'm OK at QB, but this news (that Best might be out for the year) makes me ill. I could have kept Cam in that league for the next 5+ years. Crap. Might end up being my worst trade decision in FF ever. :wacko:

Ouch!

I don't understand why people draft Best.

I really can't understand why you would trade for him 1/3 of the way into the season.

Say he's cleared to play. How many games is he going to last before he goes down again?

You guys don't like Maurice Morris.

The Lions like Maurice Morris.

None of the stiffs that are out there are going to come in and take Morris' job. Morris will share carries with Williams and perhaps others, but if Best is out, Morris will get the largest share of the work.

Morris will share carries with Williams and perhaps others, but if Best is out, Morris Stafford will get the largest share of the work.

What's really going to change though about a Lions running game that can't move the ball between the tackles though? Maybe the passing game does give him some room, but you remember the quote a while back after the game where Pettigrew had 11 catches, Shwartz said "he was our running game".

Not saying you're suggesting differently, but with as many endzone looks as Calvin is likely to get, how much are they even going to rely on their backs without having Best's explosion outside the tackles and in the passing game? I felt like Ronnie Brown could potentially fill the need of a serviceable all-around back and between the tackles, but I just see Morris or whoever getting even less opportunities and making less out of them.

(ETA: Wait, if they really like Maurice Morris, then why did they try out LeShoure, Harrison, and Ronnie Brown? Those guys appear more upside than depth pickups, which is what I see Maurice as: depth you hope you never have to rely on too much.

Edited by delusions of granduer

From the FA list (nice job), I thought Chauncey Washington played well enough for the Jets to stick on the PS, but he went to the Rams and got cut again. Nothing special, but a guy who can catch and run with some power. He had some nice preseason performances for the Jets. I was actually sorry to see him get cut. I thought he played better than both Greene and McKnight when he got his chances.

I don't understand why people draft Best.

I really can't understand why you would trade for him 1/3 of the way into the season.

Say he's cleared to play. How many games is he going to last before he goes down again?

I'll tell you why I traded for him (I wouldn't draft him either). I'm in a league that rewards 12 pts for any non-traditional TD (i.e. a RB receives a TD or throws a TD) AND we get 2 bonus points per 20 yards on the distance of a TD starting at 20 yards (88 yard TD run would reward 6 pts for the TD and an additional 8 bonus points for length). Also, we start 3 WRs and my WRs are Calvin, Fitz, A.J. Green - with Julio Jones on the bench, it does no good to have a starter on my bench when I have zero RBs (Dwill and Hightower were my top RBs). So for me, trading for Best made absolute sense and upgraded my team regardless if he plays another down this year because I also acquired Victor Cruz in the trade.

I know nobody cares about my team other than me but I just wanted to prove to you that there are legitimate reasons to acquire Best even with his injury history.

Awesome, just traded for Best and Maclin for McFadden/Bush. :wacko: Least I landed MM off waivers when I had Brown ahead of him on the priority list.

But good luck Best, I've had a few concussions myself, a nasty one playing a backyard tackle football game, a lesser one in a car accident.

Me too...no lasting effects.

Me too...no............................................................

What was the topic?

(ETA: Wait, if they really like Maurice Morris, then why did they try out LeShoure, Harrison, and Ronnie Brown? Those guys appear more upside than depth pickups, which is what I see Maurice as: depth you hope you never have to rely on too much.

LeShoure is a power back, drafted to complement Best. He was to fill a glaring hole in the Lions offense.

When a back gets injured, its a good idea to bring in another back, don't you think? So when LeShoure went down, they signed Bell and Harrison.

Also, at the time, Morris had a broken hand. They needed some bodies for the exhibition season.

You forgot Keiland Williams, a power back the Lions hoped would help fill the hole created by LeShoure's injury. The Lions signed him after they cut Aaron Brown.

When Best gets yet another concussion, they need to get someone else in. Harrison wasn't in the mix - he got a handful of carries all year. He was inactive the Lions last game. Ronnie Brown would have been a good acquisition.

I'm not saying that Morris is the be all and end all. He is, and has always has been, the Lions backup RB. He is a capable backup RB - a decent runner, decent pass catcher and he has very good pass protection skils. I just watch with amusement at the many persons on this board who think that Morris is rapidly going to bench as soon as the Lions sign, or may be signing, another back.

Edited by Furd

hes not starting caliber rb. im sure detroit knows this.

OK fine. Of all the "starting caliber" running backs who are currently working at the McDonald's drive through, who should the Lions pick up to replace Morris in the Lion's offense?