[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fired up my Italian

sundaynfl

It took me about 4 and a half months to build it and it's now up and running! We fired it up last weekend and made 7 pizzas, they all turned out great. Nothing better than a fire kissed crust and a pizza that cooks in 90 seconds! (Margherita with basil and tomatoes from the garden and fresh mozzarella....) The combinita's took a little longer to cook.

The next day the oven was still 450 degrees, so I opened the door and got it down to 235 and slow cooked a couple of roasts...

Next up, more pizza then some bread!

Cheers!

It took me about 4 and a half months to build it and it's now up and running! We fired it up last weekend and made 7 pizzas, they all turned out great. Nothing better than a fire kissed crust and a pizza that cooks in 90 seconds! (Margherita with basil and tomatoes from the garden and fresh mozzarella....) The combinita's took a little longer to cook.

The next day the oven was still 450 degrees, so I opened the door and got it down to 235 and slow cooked a couple of roasts...

Next up, more pizza then some bread!

Cheers!

Dude, sounds effing awesome. I've got a friend who built a great oven like that and he does the same thing. Fires it up, makes pizzas one day, bread the next, roasts the day after that, etc. He'll call me when it's day three and I'll swing by on the way to work, throw in a pork shoulder, and come back to pick it up on the way home.

Pick up the book Pizza Napolitana (sp?). That's my favorite dough to use if you're working with an oven that you can get hot enough to make the real deal.

Dude, sounds effing awesome. I've got a friend who built a great oven like that and he does the same thing. Fires it up, makes pizzas one day, bread the next, roasts the day after that, etc. He'll call me when it's day three and I'll swing by on the way to work, throw in a pork shoulder, and come back to pick it up on the way home.

Pick up the book Pizza Napolitana (sp?). That's my favorite dough to use if you're working with an oven that you can get hot enough to make the real deal.

Thanks! I was like a kid on Christmas morning, especially when it worked so well on it's first firing! The pulled pork sandwiches were great the next day; especially after my wife thought I cooked all day instead of sitting on my ass watching football. I will probably attempt a pig roast, once I get familiar with the oven.

Thanks! I was like a kid on Christmas morning, especially when it worked so well on it's first firing! The pulled pork sandwiches were great the next day; especially after my wife thought I cooked all day instead of sitting on my ass watching football. I will probably attempt a pig roast, once I get familiar with the oven.

Actually, the recipe is really easy.

In the bowl of your mixer, mix the following and dissolve the yeast

2 cups warm water

1 envelope dry yeast

4 teaspoons of salt (my wife thinks that's too much, but that's women for you)

Mixing with the dough hook, add 1 cup AP Flour at a time until you've added about 5-6 cups. More importantly, you're looking for the dough to become something that you could kneed. If you're mixer is more bad-ass than mine is, you can keep it in the mixer, and have the paddle kneed it for 10 minutes.

Mine is too small, so once I get to the point where I could kneed it, I turn it out onto a counter and kneed it by hand for 10 minutes. The dough should be really smooth and pliable. At that point, coat a clean bowl with olive oil, cover the bowl with a towel, and place the dough in a warm (but not hot) place for an hour or until doubled.

Roll into a log, cut into 6 equal portions and roll into tight balls. Place on a lined pan with a towel over the doughs for another 45 minutes. If it's going to be longer than that before you're ready, put them in a cool place. You can even put them in the fridge, provided you bring them out at least an hour before using.

Another thing. Some people like cornmeal under their dough on the peel. I think that just starts to burn and prefer to simply use plain flour.

Jealous as hell. Authentic NY style thin crust pizza is one of life's elusive treats, and to have the ability to make them at home... :pantstight:

:pantstight: for a different reason than yours, PIZZA! This thing is friggin amazing; crispy pizza in 90 seconds and it eliminates all the hair off my hands and arms at the same time!

Jealous as hell. Authentic NY style thin crust pizza is one of life's elusive treats, and to have the ability to make them at home... :pantstight:

The oven looks frickin awesome. There's a small winery (Prive') that has an oven and a couple times a year will do wine / pizza parties. Heaven.

Matt, check out Verasano's in ATL. Great pizza.

Matt, check out Verasano's in ATL. Great pizza.

Nice! Will definitely check it out. Still searching for the real thing outside of NYC and it looks like this guy takes the job seriously.

ETA: SundayNFL -- kind of interesting, this guy's story of how he came to open this restaurant, his quest for the perfect pie and even his recipe. Pretty involved stuff, but possibly of interest since you're just getting into it.

Edited by matt770

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, can't see the pics, but I would love to check it out. I've been thinking of building one in my backyard lately.

made a great dough last weekend, just needed a better oven than the ol' normal conventional jobber. for one pie, I cooked some clams with white wine, garlic & chili flake...chopped them up & cut up a lobster tail & sauteed that in butter. did a white pizza with the chopped clams & lobster....damn it was tasty! others were mushroom & sausage. the white pie took the crown that night.

yeah, can't see the pics, but I would love to check it out. I've been thinking of building one in my backyard lately.

made a great dough last weekend, just needed a better oven than the ol' normal conventional jobber. for one pie, I cooked some clams with white wine, garlic & chili flake...chopped them up & cut up a lobster tail & sauteed that in butter. did a white pizza with the chopped clams & lobster....damn it was tasty! others were mushroom & sausage. the white pie took the crown that night.

white clam pizza with bacon, garlic and black olives. Best pizza evah

• 1 month later...

The family trradition on Christmas day is that we are in our pajamas all day and everyone makes their own pizzas. We usually get Papa Murphy crusts and throw them in in the oven. Of course, I had to fire up the outdoor oven; it was a little cold and snowy, but well worth it!

The kids talked me into trying a "dessert pizza" and it turned out great! We created a smores pizza with raw cane sugar mixed into the dough and then pressed into the edges ,we slathered on some EVO and threw it in the oven with some dark chocolate as the topping, after it melted we put some marshmellows over the chocolate and when they were all nice and toasty we covered them with some crushed graham crackers... turned out great for the first time!

The family trradition on Christmas day is that we are in our pajamas all day and everyone makes their own pizzas. We usually get Papa Murphy crusts and throw them in in the oven. Of course, I had to fire up the outdoor oven; it was a little cold and snowy, but well worth it!

The kids talked me into trying a "dessert pizza" and it turned out great! We created a smores pizza with raw cane sugar mixed into the dough and then pressed into the edges ,we slathered on some EVO and threw it in the oven with some dark chocolate as the topping, after it melted we put some marshmellows over the chocolate and when they were all nice and toasty we covered them with some crushed graham crackers... turned out great for the first time!

:wacko:

we've done several dessert pies. my favorite is smores. daughter likes caramel with cinnamon-sugar. wife likes white chocolate/raspberry.