[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best RBs of all time

muck

Good stuff. Yes, the game has changed over time, so tough to compare apples to apples based on just numbers.

I'll take Barry Sanders, he did it on terrible teams that usually had few weapons to distract from the fact that they were going to feed him the ball. He consistently put up Hall of Fame numbers anyway. He is also the only one listed above (other than Brown) that had eight seasons to fit these categories.

Not to mention, one of the true class acts to ever play the game.

Many people believe Barry Sanders was the most talented running back ever to lace up cleats. But on the eve of training camp in 1999, Sanders shocked fans by faxing his retirement to his hometown newspaper, the Wichita Eagle

Yep. A saint on earth

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko: Not trying to turn it into anything. Just responding to a point that I believe isnt entirely accurate

Yet is an incredibly accurate point, if still not entirely accurate. Nobody in my hearing has ever claimed that Emmit was not outstanding, only that he was outstanding and in an ideal situation.

Yet is an incredibly accurate point, if still not entirely accurate. Nobody in my hearing has ever claimed that Emmit was not outstanding, only that he was outstanding and in an ideal situation.

and nobody that supports Emmitt would ever claim that he didnt have a terrific O line but many try and make it seem like that is the only reason the guy had the career that he had. He was a gifted athlete . He was an All American at Florida. in 1993 he won the rushing crown, superbowl mvp, and NFL MVP.

I loved watching Barry Sanders too. I just think people get caught up in the fact that he quietly handed the ref the ball after he scored and they forget the fact that he quit on his team and fans unceremoniously

[quote name='whomper' date='10/23/11 1

I loved watching Barry Sanders too. I just think people get caught up in the fact that he quietly handed the ref the ball after he scored and they forget the fact that he quit on his team and fans unceremoniously

Maybe he should have kept every ball and ripped off his helmet every time he scored?

Regardless its no reflection on his skills

Maybe he should have kept every ball and ripped off his helmet every time he scored?

Regardless its no reflection on his skills

again, I am responding to those swinging from Sanders sack about how he used to hand the ball to the ref and how classy he was. Lets see him carry a team to a division win with a separated shoulder against the Giants in the meadowlands

and nobody that supports Emmitt would ever claim that he didnt have a terrific O line but many try and make it seem like that is the only reason the guy had the career that he had. He was a gifted athlete . He was an All American at Florida. in 1993 he won the rushing crown, superbowl mvp, and NFL MVP.

I have never, not once, heard amybody argue that his O-line was the only reason he had the career that he did. Perhaps I have missed that type of person. If so, that is probably a good thing becuase who would want their time wasted by idiots like that.

again, I am responding to those swinging from Sanders sack about how he used to hand the ball to the ref and how classy he was. Lets see him carry a team to a division win with a separated shoulder against the Giants in the meadowlands

oh yes he's a regular Tedy Bruschi playing in a game hurt.

Fact- He was the only NFL to ever do that

Emmit had more than just an o-line, if i remember corrctly he had a pretty good Qb and Wr, what was their names again?

oh yes he's a regular Tedy Bruschi playing in a game hurt.

Fact- He was the only NFL to ever do that

:wacko: I assume you being a Birds fan has nothing to do with that fact that you cant acknowledge his accomplishments

Edited by whomper

Emmit had more than just an o-line, if i remember corrctly he had a pretty good Qb and Wr, what was their names again?

Then I guess we should throw away the accomplishments of any rb that had a good O line , qb and wr. Terrel Davis, Marshal Faulk all of them. They had mediocre talent were just incredibly lucky I suppose, yet when they were injured or missing a game for any reason, their teams struggled. Very odd

We already went through this debate and we ended up with Emmitt being the best RB in all of history.

DMD's top 5 RBs all time:

1 - Emmitt

2 - Walter Payton

3 - Jim Brown

4 - Steve Van Buren

5 - Clarke Hinkle

Top QB - Brett Favre

Top DL - Bruce Smith

...and given his skill set, I think it's fair to at least entertain the possibility that in less-than-ideal situation, he may not have been quite so outstanding.

Know when I turned around on Emmitt? His last year in Arizona. He'd already set the yardage mark and owned the rushing td mark, he could have EASILY phoned it in, collected his last $$$ in the NFL, and rode off into the sunset with no one thinking any better or worse of him than they already did. But he showed tremendous heart and will in turning in a remarkably solid season.

Yet when Emmitt was out injured or when he held out those 2 games his replacements never quite put up the same numbers behind that very same O line that everyone says that anybody could succeed behind

Well, saying that a back-up RB couldn't do much behind that line doesn't actually disprove the theory that one of the other elite RBs on this list couldn't have put up astounding numbers behind that line.

I grew up in Detroit so Barry is the one I saw week in and week out. He was a great talent and I liked the way he carried himself. I'm not sure if that constitutes nut swinging though. :wacko:

It's disrespectful I know, but I don't put Jim Brown up at No. 1....

His opposing DLs and LBs weighed 200-210 lbs.

1. Walter Payton

2. Barry Sanders

3. Jim Brown

4. Emmitt Smith

5. L. Tomlinson

6. Marshall Faulk

7. O.J. Simpson

8. Eric Dickerson

9. Thurman Thomas

10. Curtis Martin

Bettis, Earl Campbell, Dorsett just miss the top-10.

As previousloy mentioned, comparing any atlete to any other, only those within the same era can reliably be compared. In Breown's era, speed was king, size was not. It was also before the steriod era. Just can't make those era to ear comparisons, with the exception of Babe Ruth, who had more HR's in one season than any other entire TEAM in MLB at the time.

As far as pure talent, Brown, Dickerson, Sayers and Sanders stand out to me. Sweeteness was one of the all time well rounded RB's, as was E Smith. Riggins and Czonka where perhaps the best power RB's I've ever seen.

Marus Allen is often over looked in these kind of threads. The you can go back to the players of the 1940's and 50's that none of us have ever really seen, another reason why such topics may be fun to debate, but has no correct answer.

Wind it down to different eras, and then you have a basis for comparisons.

Well, saying that a back-up RB couldn't do much behind that line doesn't actually disprove the theory that one of the other elite RBs on this list couldn't have put up astounding numbers behind that line.

That wasnt the point. The point everyone was making is that anyone could succeed behind that line. I dont doubt that Sanders , Sweetness , and Jim Brown would have done well behind that line. Ill just let Emmitts accomplishments speak for themselves. I mean no disrespect towards the other backs that are always in this conversation. It just seems Emmitt is the only one that gets the "He was a product of his line" tag. Im sure Payton, Sanders and Brown werent running behind a bunch of punters. Is it Emmitts fault that the early 90's Cowboys were just lethally dominant ? :wacko:

Edited by whomper

That wasnt the point. The point everyone was making is that anyone could succeed behind that line. I dont doubt that Sanders , Sweetness , and Jim Brown would have done well behind that line. Ill just let Emmitts accomplishments speak for themselves. I mean no disrespect towards the other backs that are always in this conversation. It just seems Emmitt is the only one that gets the "He was a product of his line" tag. Im sure Payton, Sanders and Brown werent running behind a bunch of punters. Is it Emmitts fault that the early 90's Cowboys were just lethally dominant :wacko:

No, it's not his fault. But just because the five guys blocking in front of Sanders and Payton were the five best guys on their team at doing that, doesn't mean they were all that great.

So, the argument would be, if they were making the first guy miss five yards down the field (like Emmitt was) as opposed to right at the line of scrimmage, they could have put up even better numbers than they did. Which means quite possibly better than he did.

Just like others can't totally dismiss Smith's accomplishments, you can't ignore that he, more than the others, stepped into a very enviable situation. A team with a great D, great O-line, and a passing game that was good enough to deserve respect from the D but not so prolific that it diminished his touches. In other words, an absolutely perfect storm.

Edited by detlef

No, it's not his fault. But just because the five guys blocking in front of Sanders and Payton were the five best guys on their team at doing that, doesn't mean they were all that great.

So, the argument would be, if they were making the first guy miss five yards down the field (like Emmitt was) as opposed to right at the line of scrimmage, they could have put up even better numbers than they did. Which means quite possibly better than he did.

Just like others can't totally dismiss Smith's accomplishments, you can't ignore that he, more than the others, stepped into a very enviable situation. A team with a great D, great O-line, and a passing game that was good enough to deserve respect from the D but not so prolific that it diminished his touches. In other words, an absolutely perfect storm.

So would an average or slightly better than average back put up the same numbers as Emmitt in that perfect storm ? Would a back like Tiki Barber be the all time leading rusher if it was Tiki instead of Emmitt in that same situation ? Would an average back like Brian Westbrook have done what Emmit did ?

Most seasons averaging more than 125 yards from scrimmage per game:

6 -- Jim Brown (1958, 1959, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965) ... plus two other seasons where he averaged more than 105 yards per game

4 -- Walter Payton (1977, 1983, 1984 and 1985) ... plus three other seasons where he averaged more than 110 yards per game

4 -- Eric Dickerson (1983, 1984, 1986 and 1988)

4 -- Marshall Faulk (1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001)

3 -- Ladanian Tomlinson (2002, 2003, and 2006) ... plus three other seasons where he averaged more than 110 yards per game

3 -- Tiki Barber (2004, 2005 and 2006) ... plus three other seasons where he averaged more than 105 yards per game

3 -- Edgerrin James (1999, 2000, and 2004) ... plus one other season where he averaged more than 115 yards per game

3 -- Priest Holmes (2001, 2002 and 2003)

2 -- Barry Sanders (1994 and 1997) ... plus six other seasons where he averaged more than 105 yards per game

2 -- Emmitt Smith (1992 and 1995) ... plus three other seasons where he averaged more than 110 yards per game

2 -- Terrell Davis (1997 and 1998) ... plus one other season where he averaged more than 115 yards per game

this list is a joke. where the hell's DeMarco Murray?!?! :wacko: