[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best RBs of all time

muck

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fan of the browns....:wacko:

Yeah so what, that's what a fan does back their team good or bad, not hop scotch around from team to team every few years or decade based on who is doing well.

I'm not blind and know how bad the Browns are. You won't see me posting threads telling people how "this is our year, we're finally going to do it, this is how we beat so and so this week".

PS Whomper (or is it Sgt. Hulka) that was a good one.

I could debate these things till the cows come home...but the one guy that seems to get a bit of a raw deal (in my humble opinion) is LT. If you go by p-f-r's career AV stat, he's (I believe) the 6th ranked RB in league history. If you go by weighted AV, he's 4th. I just think conventionally he is ranked in the 8-10 range when he should be either 5th or 6th. I guess it's a minor critique, but oh well.

My list...

Brown

Barry

Smith

Payton

Dickerson

LT

Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Fred Taylor - Another vastly underrated player. I realize his career numbers aren't up there with the others, but I still think, in his prime, he was as good an RB as anyone on this list other than Brown and Barry.

Tony Dorsett

OJ

I will also say there are guys that are impossible for me to rank...Jim Thorpe might have been the greatest back in NFL history, but I have no idea how to put him anywhere on the list. Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, and Jamal Lewis, in THEIR primes, were stunning talents. But none of them lasted long enough to make the list. If we were going by "pure talent in their prime" then they would maybe be in there.

Some guys just don't do much for me. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis were nice backs, but I think they were more "compilers" rather than great players. Edgerrin James is an enigma for me. Part of me thinks he only succeeded because he played in Indy and defenses never honored their running game. And his struggles outside of Indy buttress that notion. But the fact that Indy hasn't had a real running game since he left flies in the face of that. So he's an absolute mystery to me.

Edit - Does the site really filter out the name OJ S*mpson?

Edited by lawofmurphy

I could debate these things till the cows come home...but the one guy that seems to get a bit of a raw deal (in my humble opinion) is LT. If you go by p-f-r's career AV stat, he's (I believe) the 6th ranked RB in league history. If you go by weighted AV, he's 4th. I just think conventionally he is ranked in the 8-10 range when he should be either 5th or 6th. I guess it's a minor critique, but oh well.

My list...

Brown

Smith

Smith

Payton

Dickerson

LT

Faulk

Thurman Thomas

Fred Taylor - Another vastly underrated player. I realize his career numbers aren't up there with the others, but I still think, in his prime, he was as good an RB as anyone on this list other than Brown and Smith.

Tony Dorsett

OJ

I will also say there are guys that are impossible for me to rank...Jim Thorpe might have been the greatest back in NFL history, but I have no idea how to put him anywhere on the list. Bo Jackson, Earl Campbell, and Jamal Lewis, in THEIR primes, were stunning talents. But none of them lasted long enough to make the list. If we were going by "pure talent in their prime" then they would maybe be in there.

Some guys just don't do much for me. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis were nice backs, but I think they were more "compilers" rather than great players. Edgerrin James is an enigma for me. Part of me thinks he only succeeded because he played in Indy and defenses never honored their running game. And his struggles outside of Indy buttress that notion. But the fact that Indy hasn't had a real running game since he left flies in the face of that. So he's an absolute mystery to me.

Edit - Does the site really filter out the name OJ S*mpson?

I don't see a Mr. Smith on your list. Mistake perhaps.....

Edited to add: Cute. The Dallas fan owner of this site has the word filter turn S anders into Smith automatically. Nice DMD! Carry on.....

Edited by lkirc