[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the Christian Ponder era begin

CaP'N GRuNGe

In among all the hoopla surrounding Ponder, it should be noted he went 13 for 32 passing and completed none (except two to Woodson) in the third quarter.

I think the Vikes are doing the right thing for sure but let's not all get too carried away here.

In among all the hoopla surrounding Ponder, it should be noted he went 13 for 32 passing and completed none (except two to Woodson) in the third quarter.

I think the Vikes are doing the right thing for sure but let's not all get too carried away here.

Well, he's no Jay Cutler, that's for sure.

I have to agree, but you have to look what he did with those completions. 3rd down conversions were good. He had 5 scoring drives over 46 yards each. His average yards per pass was 16.8 which means he is throwing down the field and not dumping it off. His numbers may have been better had he recognized the coverage went to the outlet receiver. He did force some throws and that is expected with a rookie. But overall, it was refreshing to see him take control of the offense and move them downfield. One other important stat: the vikings had two three and outs.

Edited by Outshined

Well, he's no Jay Cutler, that's for sure.

What, in that Ponder didn't win yesterday? True dat. :wacko:

I have to agree, but you have to look what he did with those completions. 3rd down conversions were good. He had 5 scoring drives over 46 yards each. His average yards per pass was 16.8 which means he is throwing down the field and not dumping it off. His numbers may have been better had he recognized the coverage went to the outlet receiver. He did force some throws and that is expected with a rookie. But overall, it was refreshing to see him take control of the offense and move them downfield. One other important stat: the vikings only had one three and out.

Definitely. As I said as we watched the game yesterday, I thought he was impressive. The points you made are all true and his raw numbers will likely improve as he gains experience. One obvious benefit of the downfield threat was the fact that the Packers were forced to respect the pass which freed up space for AP.

As the Ponder era begins, lets hope the Berrian era ends. Dude is making way too much coin for way too little production. Cut his ass this week and hope it resonates with the other under-achievers.

Back to Ponder, it was good to see him make some nice plays and not become overwhelmed in a pressure spot. He's sure to make mistakes (as most all young QBs do) but seems to have some ability and some self confidence. Have to see a lot more than one game to formulate an opinion on whether or not he'll turn into a good qb, though.

I think I noticed and was really happy with was how he learned quickly... the 2nd interception by Woodson, Shincoe was behind woodson and he tried to throw the tight "frozen rope" type ball that Woodson went up and caught (nice play)... Later in the 4th Q they ran the same play and Woodson again under cut it but this time he lofted it over to V-Shank for a nice completion/gain. It was good to see him learn from the mistake... It is WAYYYYYY early but the initial reaction from this Vike fan is positive.

Edited by dfv87

As the Ponder era begins, lets hope the Berrian era ends. Dude is making way too much coin for way too little production. Cut his ass this week and hope it resonates with the other under-achievers.

I remember being pissed when the Bears let him go as he looked to have some skills. Heard the #s on the contract and thought wow that was a lot of money. Figured he was getting overpaid but never thought he would suck as bad as he has turned out.

I remember being pissed when the Bears let him go as he looked to have some skills. Heard the #s on the contract and thought wow that was a lot of money. Figured he was getting overpaid but never thought he would suck as bad as he has turned out.

Seriously, who does he think he is, Chris Johnson?

The Bears followed that offloading of the trash with WR Devin Aromatherapy, also to the Vikings. He didn't want to do any routes over the middle in Chicago.

I think I noticed and was really happy with was how he learned quickly... the 2nd interception by Woodson, Shincoe was behind woodson and he tried to throw the tight "frozen rope" type ball that Woodson went up and caught (nice play)... Later in the 4th Q they ran the same play and Woodson again under cut it but this time he lofted it over to V-Shank for a nice completion/gain. It was good to see him learn from the mistake... It is WAYYYYYY early but the initial reaction from this Vike fan is positive.

The thing Ponder Impressed me the most on was that he showed some balls. After being picked off twice by a future hall of famer he threw 3 or 4 more passes to the guy Woodson was covering. He didn't shrink up and play scared, he didn't go pout, he didn't keep checking it down, he went right back at him.

It was also nice to see McNabb giving Ponder advice and encouragement on the sideline. He didn't have to do that and he could have easily ignored Ponder.

It was also nice to see McNabb giving Ponder advice and encouragement on the sideline. He didn't have to do that and he could have easily ignored Ponder.

The McNabber is definitely past his sell by date (and I am sure he knows it) but I've always thought he was a class act.

Agreed, but it takes all but the most exceptional young QBs quite a while to get acclimated to the NFL - I'd guess 3 seasons at least, give or take. It also doesn't help that the MIN receivers just seem to have an unusually tough time hanging onto the football - which is something that hampered McNabb as well. There were some promising signs there and MIN looks to be doing what they can in the playcalling to support Ponder's learning curve.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Agreed, but it takes all but the most exceptional young QBs quite a while to get acclimated to the NFL - I'd guess 3 seasons at least, give or take. It also doesn't help that the MIN receivers just seem to have an unusually tough time hanging onto the football - which is something that hampered McNabb as well. There were some promising signs there and MIN looks to be doing what they can in the playcalling to support Ponder's learning curve.

I think someone said it before but the biggest benefit to the Vikes by far, IMO, is that starting Ponder gives AP more space. From what I have seen of Ponder so far, he looks like someone with much potential, especially in that he doesn't let his mistakes get to him. He doesn't look like a deer in headlights.