[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More touches for Blount

devildog0311

My take, and only a guess, is we see him in on more "passing downs" going forward. Not saying he is the guy or will ever be the 100% guy, but I bet he gets some run in those situations now.

Personally, the way they ran their O was puzzling to me. Blount in...run. Graham in...pass. Essentially no trickeration for the D.

Also never understood the reason with Blount. Do they think he has awful hands, or do they question him on protection? I saw him pick up a blitz great in the Indy game. Not saying 1 play here or there means he is good in pass pro, just saying haven't seen where he is awful.

I REALLY think it benefits their O as a whole to be more diverse and mix things up some.

So I will predict he gets more snaps going forward. Maybe not the guy 100% or the 3rd down guy, but I can't see them taking Bount off the field as much for a way unproven guy whomever that may be.

So I say his pure snap count numbers go up. We'll see.

Edited by giantsfan

• 2 weeks later...

What did I say above...:wacko:. Just saw this:

With Earnest Graham (injured reserve, Achilles) out, LeGarrette Blount expects to be the Bucs' primary third-down back going forward. Analysis: We're skeptical Blount is capable of handling the role in the long-term. He's really just an early-down bruiser that has a total of nine catches in 18 career NFL games.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB LeGarrette Blount (knee), who will return to game action in Week 9 against the New Orleans Saints, will be the team's primary back and will even stay on the field for third downs with RB Earnest Graham (Achilles') out for the year. "Oh yeah, I know I'm going to play third downs in this game," Blount said. "I'm probably not going to play all of them, but I know I'm going to play quite a few of them." RBs Kregg Lumpkin and Mossis Madu will spell Blount on occasion on third downs. Blount said he is fully recovered from his knee injury.

Like I thought, may not play every 3rd down, but I would be shocked if he isn't on the field more with Graham gone. How can you take him out on a regular basis for Lumpkin. Now the question is can he handle it as was pointed out above.

We shall see...

I dunno if we know whether he can be a good 3rd down back or not. For rotoworld (or whichever site that blurb is from) to criticize him for "only having 9 receptions" is silly because he's only had 15 career targets. The Bucs don't design plays to get him the ball in the passing game. He hasn't played 3rd and 3+. I have a suspicion he's absolutely capable in the receiving game. Big backs have been effective before. SJax and Hillis come to mind as recent "bruisers" who are good at receiving.

I think it's been something of a failure of the coaches that they are so steadfast in holding to these "roles" for players. "Oh, Blount is our 1st and 2nd down running guy. Graham gets receptions. This is how it will always be." Frankly, today's NFL is all about deception and attacking what defenses aren't ready for. When you have such blatantly defined roles for players, you make it easier for defenses. Good teams will run the same chaotic gameplan regardless of what personnel is in the game.

Just my opinion. I'm excited to see what Blount will be able to do now...I hope he really is close to 100%.

I think he gets the majority of the 3rd down plays. However, I think his knee is worse than they are making it out to be. I see offseason surgery in the future.

Interesting...any particular reason you think that about his knee? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if there was some local buzz about it that the national media hasn't picked up on?

Interesting...any particular reason you think that about his knee? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if there was some local buzz about it that the national media hasn't picked up on?

There is some buzz that the Bucs would have kept Blount out a couple more weeks if Graham didnt go down. They dont have many options now so they are stuck letting him back on the field when he is not 100%. He had a partial tear of his MCL and that's not a good thing for a power back.

However, this is all media speculation and I hope he hurdles some Saints defenders on the way to the endzone this Sunday!

i think blount has an outside shot at being a top 10 RB over the 2nd half of the season with the increased workload. no catches and always coming off on 3rd down was killing his value. now he has the first shot at getting the dump offs, screens and draws which add up to extra points for us. i traded for him earlier this season for keeper status for next year and loving the change. he has the rest of this year to prove he can handle the workload and take the full workload next season. i was all in on blount with graham there, and now i'm doubling down on him with no real competition for touches.