[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which ho-hum rookie RB do you see exploding next year?

montster

The Mark Ingram thread got me thinking about how down many people were on Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy their rookie years, only to see them break out in their second seasons. Arian Foster took a similar path in his second year. Last year, Ryan Mathews was a bust but seems to be a top-10 RB so far this year.

So which rookie RBs will people be targeting next year? Obviously, the conditions have to be suitable. Rice was behind McGahee, but he was 27 and on his way out. McCoy was behind Westbrook, who was also on his way out. Ingram could be a candidate, but he's got both Thomas and Sproles ahead of him, both of whom signed four-year contracts and don't seem to be going anywhere. Despite their injuries, Ryan Williams and Mikel LeShoure didn't seem to fit because the guys they're behind are young themselves. Daniel Thomas has only Reggie Bush to contend with, so he might fit the profile, especially if the Dolphins land Luck. Other possibilities: Delone Carter, Kendall Hunter, Stevan Ridley/Shane Vereen. (I also realize we're not even halfway through the season yet, but I figure we could keep the topic going throughout the year.)

Thoughts?

Daniel Thomas, injuries and horrible team are killing him. He's showed he has the stuff at times. New coach, QB, and system may really help him next year.

While he may be a candidate, he still runs far too upright, which may make those injuries a common occurrence.

Ridley, Hunter and Carter...when Manning returns, Carter will get a legit chance at starting for the Colts imo...Gore can be let go after next season with a minimal cap hit so Hunter could really start getting some looks and then you have Ridley who should do well if given the chance over BJGE...

I think Murray (if Jerrah can lose his boner for Jones and allow him to be used as a CoP like he should be) and Helu are prime candidates. Murray because he's such a good fit for what DAL wants to do with its RB1 and Helu because Shanahan knows RBs as well as anyone in the league, scripts the zone blocking scheme better than anyone in the league, and loves speed in RBs who have enough frame to be bell cows. Helu reminds me a bit of Portis.

I'd keep a close eye on Quiz Rodgers w/ ATL - he also really fits what ATL is trying to put on the field. I'm not a fan of smurf RBs but the guy has a very good BMI and can work in that O with White and Jones at WRs. Back the SS out of the box and move LBs back a yard to contend with the passing game assembled and this guy could be murder on Ds with a bit wider lanes to run through and catching the ball out of the backfield.

If MIA can put some players around Thomas, he has a skill set that has been untapped so far and he would fit the role of being a bell cow in that O. The addition of Bush as a CoP really helps him also in letting him focus on his strength, which is running between the tackles a lot.

A guy that really intrigues me as a dark horse is Johnny White. Fred Jackson will be 31 next year and has been piling up a lot of touches for the past 2 1/2 seasons and should for the rest of this year. Spiller is pretty clearly no better than a CoP - if he doesn't wear out his welcome in BUF, which he seems to be doing. White is built well enough and does enough in an O to take over the Jackson role. He's a lot like Jackson - not really great at any one thing but a really nice amalgam of a lot of very good skills. With where BUF seems to be headed, he's a guy to keep on your radar. I also see BUF looking for help early in next year's draft at WR, TE, OL, and DE. That could create an opening for him.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would say Murray also but he has dropped A LOt of passes. I thougth his hands were suppose to be good? If that dosen't improve Jones will still be in front of him because Dallas needs to have a dump off back in that offense. I would have loved to see what Jones would have done against STL but Murray has dropped everything thrown his way and it really cost us in the NE game.

Helu is possible but I know believe the Rat likes toying with us FF players by touting one guy then sitting him for another. I have been Shanahaned one too many times to trust him ever again. Unless he has a clear cut guy with scrubs behind him, I'm not touching his backfield.

Ridley looks like a NE type of RB but with more speed then BJGE.

I would say Murray also but he has dropped A LOt of passes. I thougth his hands were suppose to be good? If that dosen't improve Jones will still be in front of him because Dallas needs to have a dump off back in that offense. I would have loved to see what Jones would have done against STL but Murray has dropped everything thrown his way and it really cost us in the NE game.

With Austin, Bryant, and Witten, why would DAL even worry about throwing to their RB? The two WRs are better playmakers and Witten is one of the best safety valves in the business. DAL ought to focus on someone who can slam the ball between the tackles and not worry about throwing him a pass all game. Murray fits what they need right down to being able to get to the second level and then downhill and gone after that.

With Austin, Bryant, and Witten, why would DAL even worry about throwing to their RB? The two WRs are better playmakers and Witten is one of the best safety valves in the business. DAL ought to focus on someone who can slam the ball between the tackles and not worry about throwing him a pass all game. Murray fits what they need right down to being able to get to the second level and then downhill and gone after that.

Amen

While he may be a candidate, he still runs far too upright, which may make those injuries a common occurrence.

I agree. Darren McFadden seems to have started that style. I can't remember many backs running like that before him. I think that Jacquizz Rogers will start splitting carries with Michael Turner, he seems to be developing into a great pass catcher and a reliable in between the tackles runner.

He's not technically a rookie, but Hardesty is lining up to be the main back in CLE. I don't believe anything they're saying about bringing Hillis back for any kind of real money. I don't believe a word of that. Whether you think Hardesty can make a real impact with all the touches, who knows, we've hardly seen enough yet... but in terms of guys who might have the opportunity, I put him high on the list next to Thomas.

Hardesty came to my mind as well, but I don't like what I've seen from him. I could see them drafting a RB or signing an FA.

Not a rookie, this is his 2nd year

True about Hardesty, but he missed his whole rookie season with injury, so this is his first season on the field. Doesn't look like Hillis will be back next year, so he could be the feature back.