[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Veto of Trades

BA Baracus

Last year in my basketball dynasty league, I gave up four top 50 players in the last year of their contract for four players that all were outside of the top 75 but were cheap and in the first year of their contract. I handed the guy a championship and $1000. The trade was vetoed, and I quit the league on the spot.

I needed to re-build my team. Why would I care who wins the championship if it wasn't me? Shouldn't the owner I traded with be able to cash-in on some really good cheap picks that he made if he so chooses? All the other owners knew I was making a trade like this. I had offered the same deal to just about all of them. They're just jealous they didn't draft well enough to be able to trade for a championship.

If you're going to accept my money to play in your league, you need to let me run my team however I see fit. It isn't up to the other owners to make my decisions for me.

I'm going to apologize here. I seem to have provoked a bit more of a reaction than I was going for. I generally like cunning runts and see no reason to unnecessarily leave hard feelings. I apologize for the untempered tone of my post.

Thanks. And I do as well.

I'm going to apologize here. I seem to have provoked a bit more of a reaction than I was going for. I generally like cunning runts and see no reason to unnecessarily leave hard feelings. I apologize for the untempered tone of my post.

Thanks. And I do as well.

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah!

Kum ba yah, my lord, Kum ba yah.

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, Lord, Kum ba yah!

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's singing, Lord, Kum ba yah!

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Someone's praying, Lord, Kum ba yah!

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Last year in my basketball dynasty league, I gave up four top 50 players in the last year of their contract for four players that all were outside of the top 75 but were cheap and in the first year of their contract. I handed the guy a championship and $1000. The trade was vetoed, and I quit the league on the spot.

I needed to re-build my team. Why would I care who wins the championship if it wasn't me? Shouldn't the owner I traded with be able to cash-in on some really good cheap picks that he made if he so chooses? All the other owners knew I was making a trade like this. I had offered the same deal to just about all of them. They're just jealous they didn't draft well enough to be able to trade for a championship.

If you're going to accept my money to play in your league, you need to let me run my team however I see fit. It isn't up to the other owners to make my decisions for me.

In Dynasty/Keeper leagues, it's almost impossible to argue collusion, or that one of the teams involved isn't benefiting in some way, shape, or form. In other words, you could trade three studs for three prospects, and depending on the league's rules (involving keeper costs, etc.), you can make an argument that either side is getting a decent deal (for the current year, or the future). Like you said, teams need to rebuild, so studs sometimes get sold for cheap, especially late in the season.

In redraft leagues, on the other hand, it's a bit easier to see when a trade simply doesn't benefit both sides. One obvious example is when one of the two teams have been officially eliminated from playoff contention... In my opinion, EVERY redraft league should have a rule against such a trade. Once you're out of the playoff hunt, the trade button should be turned off for that owner. Where it gets somewhat sticky is where do you draw the line? Is it just teams that have been officially eliminated, or should there be a certain amount of interpretation (by the commissioner) involved. I'm not sure... but, I would be taking a long, hard look at any trade where a team is trading away their best player(s) at a point in which they need to win out (win their last 5-6 games, for example) to have a shot at the playoffs. If they're not getting something beneficial in return, it's tough to just sit and watch such a trade go through.

For the most part, though, trades should never be vetoed based on being lopsided (unless, like I said, it's a redraft league where one team has no business trading in the first place). In keeper/dynasty leagues, nearly everything flies... although it's sometimes a good idea to require future payments (for league dues) if a team is selling their now for the future (in picks and/or players).

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

I'd rather Kum ba yah than hate on someone.

Don't hate. Appreciate.

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

O Lord, Kum ba yah

Channeling your inner Tebow? :wacko:

we vetoed a trade where the number 2 team in the league would get jeremy maclin for mike williams TB from the last place team in the league. while probably not colusion, it clearly favors the number two team. They ended up complaining to the GM and he cleared a trade, maclin for garcon for the same teams, which is a more even trade. But the guy who traded away maclin didn't even start garcon. to me this seems like collusion but i dunno. not a lot of experience in these things.

I have been on a bit of a rant in the "Advice" forum this week as there have been a number of threads where guys are having their trades vetoed.

I play in three leagues, one of which I am the commissioner of. I have never seen a trade denied or vetoed in any of them. I have talked with the other two guys, and we are all of the mindset that unless there is collusion, then it is a free market economy. These are all grown men who can make their own decisions. Any activity that would actually get a trade denied would really be grounds for getting kicked out of the league.

I say that, outside of conspiracy, it is up to every manager to do what they think is best for their team and everyone who isn't part of the deal can just mind their own business.

What do you guys think?

I agree! I am commish in two of my three leagues and I never deny a trade or have any vetoing. First off, I don't play with people I don't trust. So, with that principle, I have never felt the need to put restrictions in place on trades and, to date, have never had a problem. Now, do people bitch sometimes about a trade? Yes, sometimes there is grumbling on the message board but it's more to do with their PERCEPTION of what is or isn't a fair trade. But how do you ever really know what's fair and what isn't until after the season is over? You don't. That's why I think it is silly to presume that trading player A for player B isn't fair or that someone is stupid for making that trade. You never know what will happen.

I traded Jahvid Best to someone after his big game against Chicago. Then, BLAM, concussion. I didn't know that was going to happen. I just needed an upgrade at QB and Best was getting all these points on my bench because I have the luxury of having A. Foster and Fred Jackson.

Last year, I traded Reggie Wayne for Michael Vick in Week 2. I had Kevin Kolb as my main QB and Vick was just the back up at that point but since Kolb got hurt in the first game, I wanted the depth. I thought I was probably making a bad move giving up a top WR for a back up QB (I expected Kolb to come back at some point) but guess what??? And I'll bet, in some league that would have been vetoed or ruled against or whatever...Why? Because, Reggie Wayne is a "stud" and Vick is just a back up - what a stupid trade! That's so unfair to the Kolb/Wayne owner (me).

Yep! Pretty stupid!! :wacko:

we vetoed a trade where the number 2 team in the league would get jeremy maclin for mike williams TB from the last place team in the league. while probably not colusion, it clearly favors the number two team. They ended up complaining to the GM and he cleared a trade, maclin for garcon for the same teams, which is a more even trade. But the guy who traded away maclin didn't even start garcon. to me this seems like collusion but i dunno. not a lot of experience in these things.

If Mike Williams TB comes off the Bucs' bye week on fire, what do you say to the guy who tried to trade for him?

If Mike Williams TB comes off the Bucs' bye week on fire, what do you say to the guy who tried to trade for him?

Exactly my point! And why is Garcon for Maclin more even? That seems totally arbitrary to me.

In the original trade (Mike Williams for Maclin) maybe the Maclin owner is wary of Maclin's pre-season headaches and thinks he's run his course. Maybe he has a hunch about Mike Williams...who knows? Why not let people run their teams and have some fun speculating?