[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How good is Darelle Revis?

tazinib1

He's allowed 10 receptions all year. That is not only good, but that is approaching Deion Smith good. Nothing over 26yds and ZERO TD's allowed. QB rating while throwing at Revis you ask? 2.6....yeah thats not a typo...2.6!! Oh and 4 INT's returning 1 to the house.

Not only has he cemented himself as the best shutdown corner in the league, but as stated above, he is starting to be named in the same sentences as Deion in his prime. Thats heavy stuff......

Edited by tazinib1

Revis is very, very good. So good, in fact, that he gets pass interference non-calls like Maddux got all those outside corner strikes on pitches just off the plate. Yes, I know, it's only one glaring non-call, but he also intercepted that pass and took it back for a TD. Change that one single play to the pass interference that it should have been, and not only does it knock just a little luster off him, but the Jets likely end up losing that game as well.

that is a pretty heavy blanket statement to make based on one play. hes been out there for at least 400 snaps this year. everyone knows the play was at least questionably pass interference (looks pretty blatant to me) but the camera angle was such that none of the officals got the view that we got. still, i see nothing to warrant being mentioned with deion. maybe a few more seasons down the line, like this...

He's allowed 10 receptions all year. That is not only good, but that is approaching Deion Smith good. Nothing over 26yds and ZERO TD's allowed. QB rating while throwing at Revis you ask? 2.6....yeah thats not a typo...2.6!! Oh and 4 INT's returning 1 to the house.

Not only has he cemented himself as the best shutdown corner in the league, but as stated above, he is starting to be named in the same sentences as Deion in his prime. Thats heavy stuff......

In 2008 Asomugha allowed 8 completions the entire season, and only two receivers (Moss, Gonzo) caught more than one against him. In 2009 he allowed 13 completions. He was also probably targeted significantly less though.

Now he's stuck in a poorly managed defense where he find himself playing free safety half the time. :wacko:

Revis has had some great plays this year, no doubt - but it's going to take a bit more to put him at Prime Time level.

Edited by kpholmes

that is a pretty heavy blanket statement to make based on one play. hes been out there for at least 400 snaps this year. everyone knows the play was at least questionably pass interference (looks pretty blatant to me) but the camera angle was such that none of the officals got the view that we got. still, i see nothing to warrant being mentioned with deion. maybe a few more seasons down the line, like this...

Based on 1 play? When did I ever mention this 1 play you are referring to. He's played in 468 snaps to be exact and the CLOSEST player to that many snaps with the next lowest QB rating thrown to is Chris Gamble with 416 snaps and a 40.7% thrown to.

I was wondering if Asomugha would be mentioned. 427 snaps and has allowed 12 for a 62.3% thrown at.

I"m a Jet hater...really am. But the dude deserves the accolades. Show me some stats that disputes that.

Based on 1 play? When did I ever mention this 1 play you are referring to. He's played in 468 snaps to be exact and the CLOSEST player to that many snaps with the next lowest QB rating thrown to is Chris Gamble with 416 snaps and a 40.7% thrown to.

I was wondering if Asomugha would be mentioned. 427 snaps and has allowed 12 for a 62.3% thrown at.

I"m a Jet hater...really am. But the dude deserves the accolades. Show me some stats that disputes that.

Not playing outside man-to-man every snap anymore! :wacko:

should have used the quote feature. I was refering to trippleshot's post

Revis is no question, one of the best cover corners in his era, perhaps the best, as Aso's stats do get deluded by how few times they throw at him when he was a Raider, but Revis is often thrown away from as well. S-anders was faster, and got burnt occassionally because he gambled a lot. Revis doesn't gamble very often. He plays safe. That means fewer big plays against him, but fewer big D plays by him. This year he's been thrown at more often, and it shows up in his INT stats. Aso has had some poor games with Philly so far, and just maybe wasn't as great as his rep was.

Does Revis get more leeway with the refs. Yes. So did Woodson. That is what happens in pretty much any sport when you get that rep as the best. I do think Revis held on the play in question, but when the WR initiates contact, like Marshall did, a subsequent hold is far less likely to be called. Not coincidentally, Marshall had initiated contact several times beyond the 5 yards in that game... and that was part of the reason for the no call as well. If you recall, Marshall announced he would get ejected in that game. He went in looking for "extra" contact.

In general, I think the refs are getting worse... what about that backwards pass ruling in the Eagles-Dallas game? It wasn't even close.

Should Revis be mentioned in a sentence with Neon Dion? I'd say yes. They are different players, but Revis can react so freakin fast, it's his quickness rather than his speed (which he still has a good dose of) tthat makes him so good.

I also question stats on CB's. Even Revis gets help, he's not ALWAYS in man, and there are times that a breakdown in coverage can be held against a CB when it wasn't on him at all. Rhodes often failed to cover deep, and Revis was credited for giving up a play or a TD. That's why Rhodes got traded, he wanted to gamble and ball hawk, and often allowed for a coverage breakdown. It's one thing to want to play like Ed Reed, it's another to free lance.

Yes, Revis can be mentioned in the same sentence as S-anders. S-anders was far more explosive as a big play guy, while Revis is more of a shut down CB who plays within the scheme and doesn't free lance. However, if you do throw at Revis, he can make that big play.

Edited by Rovers

Deion was sensational as a shutdown corner, and returner. You just had to hope he never had to be relied on to come up and make a tackle. If a running back got into the secondary and came Deion's way you may as well just put six up on the board. Revis is more of a complete defender in that sense. Ty Law was pretty underrated as both a shutdown corner and complete defender when he was with the Pats. Didn't seem to matter who you would pit against Law: Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Moss, Owens, etc. he always seemed to get the job done. Revis reminds me more of Law than he does Deion. Revis has had a pretty soft schedule though and hasn't matched up against anyone tougher than Wes Welker this year. Welker still went for 124 against the jets, though I suspect a lot of that yardage was from the situational mismatches the Pats offense tends to create for welker, not so much directly against revis. Matter of fact the toughest matchups he'll probably face all year will be week 14 against Bowe and 16 against Nicks. I won't be truly impressed until I see him shut down calvin johnson, which will have to wait for another year..

Edited by Crazysight

Deion was sensational as a shutdown corner, and returner. You just had to hope he never had to be relied on to come up and make a tackle. If a running back got into the secondary and came Deion's way you may as well just put six up on the board. Revis is more of a complete defender in that sense. Ty Law was pretty underrated as both a shutdown corner and complete defender when he was with the Pats. Didn't seem to matter who you would pit against Law: Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Moss, Owens, etc. he always seemed to get the job done. Revis reminds me more of Law than he does Deion. Revis has had a pretty soft schedule though and hasn't matched up against anyone tougher than Wes Welker this year. Welker still went for 124 against the jets, though I suspect a lot of that yardage was from the situational mismatches the Pats offense tends to create for welker, not so much directly against revis. Matter of fact the toughest matchups he'll probably face all year will be week 14 against Bowe and 16 against Nicks. I won't be truly impressed until I see him shut down calvin johnson, which will have to wait for another year..

You make a great point, Revis is a very solid tackler. That often gets over looked. Beyond that, he also makes reads on running plays very quickly, and comes up to make those tackles. One reason Woodson was held more highly was because of his sacks. Revis almost never comes on a corner blitz, and that is a scheme inherent thing, he could get sacks if Ryan's scheme called for him to do it.

Not truely impressed yet? I think you'd give Einstein a "C" in science in the third grade.

"Pretty Ginsuin good" to quote Rex from Hard Knocks....but I totally agree. Woodson is good as well, but Revis does get is little picks due to being thrown to his direction less...but he plays it safe most time and never really tries to make the big play and jump the route for that 6 going the other way.

But if it aint broke...dont fix it

Edited by FinZone

Revis is a much better tackler than Deion. But Deion scored 10 defensive TD's in his career. That is ridiculous. 53 INT's. Revis is having a year similar to Deion's best year in 2004. Revis is the 2nd best I've ever seen, but Deion's ability to take over games meant wins. Not that Revis' doesn't, as without him I really don't know if the Jets are any good. He's certainly as close as I have seen. I just wish we could find these kind of numbers on Deion during his prime.