[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Celek

SecondString

Celek and McCoy were succesful because the Cowboy secondary was playing so far off the line of scrimmage. They were too scared of the deep threats. They were hoping they could stop the run and short passing game, but they were wrong. I think going forward teams will play them more straight up and not play so scared, so to answer your question, I don't think Celek will have repeat performances like this.

Celek and McCoy were succesful because the Cowboy secondary was playing so far off the line of scrimmage. They were too scared of the deep threats. They were hoping they could stop the run and short passing game, but they were wrong. I think going forward teams will play them more straight up and not play so scared, so to answer your question, I don't think Celek will have repeat performances like this.

Mostly this, but he does seem to be getting increased use comapred to last year and first part of this season.

I agree that a lot of Celek's success last week was due to the Cowboys primarily playing cover 2. But the Bears also primarily play a cover 2 defense and they have given up the most FF points to TEs in the NFL (18 pts per game in PPR leagues). Needless to say, I just picked him up and I will be starting him this week against my beloved Bears..... I know, I feel dirty about it.

The biggest factor, IMO, is the the fact that the O-line is now in-tact, and are no longer relying on the TE to stay in and block. This was discussed at length during pre-season threads that many expected Celek to bounce back this year with a re-tooled OL.

For the first 4-5 games, with three new starters on the o-line, most realized that the Eagles would have some problems in protection schemes....its why Vick was getting knocked around a ton. The lockout, and not getting to practice together, magnified this even more. Now that they have had a good month of playing together, and everyone is healthy again, the line has come into its own, both in running the ball and pass protection. It has enabled Celek the opportunity to get back to being a receiving weapon.

I think what you saw the last two weeks is more the norm than the exception.

swammi

Thanks for that great analysis. I drafted Gonzo as my starter and he was doing well while Celek didn't produce. I almost dropped him for a better replacement for the bye week but missed out on some of the better guys I wanted (e.g. Bballard). Played him last week and was happy, guess I'll keep him now and play the matchups going forward or look to trade one of them for some help elsewhere.

The biggest factor, IMO, is the the fact that the O-line is now in-tact, and are no longer relying on the TE to stay in and block. This was discussed at length during pre-season threads that many expected Celek to bounce back this year with a re-tooled OL.

For the first 4-5 games, with three new starters on the o-line, most realized that the Eagles would have some problems in protection schemes....its why Vick was getting knocked around a ton. The lockout, and not getting to practice together, magnified this even more. Now that they have had a good month of playing together, and everyone is healthy again, the line has come into its own, both in running the ball and pass protection. It has enabled Celek the opportunity to get back to being a receiving weapon.

This is a pretty reasonable argument. Is it convincing enough to drop either Olsen or Gresham to grab Celek? Anyone think Celek will equal or outperform either of these guys from here on out?

^this. Plus the Dallas scheme = perfect storm. He should be good again this week but don't expect the Dallas production every week. The Redskin game production is probably more the norm (with TDs always being a crap-shoot). If teams play straight up and don't cheat the safeties back, then DJax is going to catch more and Celek will be used less.

Not wanting to endure the Greshem head-ache again this week, having found out that he missed practice yesterday, I dropped him for Celek.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that the list of guys who are reliable enough to dismiss Celek as an option instead of is not very long at all. Could Celek post 2 catches for 30 yards this week? Absolutely. There's a decent chance, in fact. But that goes for all but maybe 3-4 guys out there. So if you're not starting someone like Graham, you could certainly do worse than a guy who's had 9 looks in back to back weeks.

^this. Plus the Dallas scheme = perfect storm. He should be good again this week but don't expect the Dallas production every week. The Redskin game production is probably more the norm (with TDs always being a crap-shoot). If teams play straight up and don't cheat the safeties back, then DJax is going to catch more and Celek will be used less.

So he wouldn't be good for 1500+ yards and 16 TDs over the course of an entire season? Good to know.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that the list of guys who are reliable enough to dismiss Celek as an option instead of is not very long at all. Could Celek post 2 catches for 30 yards this week? Absolutely. There's a decent chance, in fact. But that goes for all but maybe 3-4 guys out there. So if you're not starting someone like Graham, you could certainly do worse than a guy who's had 9 looks in back to back weeks.

Yep, any TE can throw in a clunker, if for no other reason than the defense could dictate in any game, by virtue of their scheme, that the TE needs to stay in and block. If the Bears blitz every down, Celek will no doubt be the first option in terms of staying in and picking it up. Dallas tried to generate pressure by using only their DL, and had the LBs and DBs in a zone, which allowed Celek to get open on a consistent basis, especially once Lee was out.

The good news this week is that the Bears employ the same scheme as the Cowboys, and have given up 60+ yards and a TD to the TE in each of their last four games.

What was interesting to see last week was a new formation for the Eagles: empty backfield, 3 WRs & 2 TEs. The TEs were lined up in a quasi-wing formation flanking he guards, prepared to help block if need be. It appeared that Dallas, when seeing the Eagles were prepared to keep 7 in protect, would fall back into their zone coverage. Vick then could audible if he saw the defense wasn't bringing pressure, allowing those TEs to head out on routes. Seemed to work like a charm over and over, and it confused the beejeeezus out of the Cowboys and Ryan.

Yep, any TE can throw in a clunker, if for no other reason than the defense could dictate in any game, by virtue of their scheme, that the TE needs to stay in and block. If the Bears blitz every down, Celek will no doubt be the first option in terms of staying in and picking it up. Dallas tried to generate pressure by using only their DL, and had the LBs and DBs in a zone, which allowed Celek to get open on a consistent basis, especially once Lee was out.

The good news this week is that the Bears employ the same scheme as the Cowboys, and have given up 60+ yards and a TD to the TE in each of their last four games.

What was interesting to see last week was a new formation for the Eagles: empty backfield, 3 WRs & 2 TEs. The TEs were lined up in a quasi-wing formation flanking he guards, prepared to help block if need be. It appeared that Dallas, when seeing the Eagles were prepared to keep 7 in protect, would fall back into their zone coverage. Vick then could audible if he saw the defense wasn't bringing pressure, allowing those TEs to head out on routes. Seemed to work like a charm over and over, and it confused the beejeeezus out of the Cowboys and Ryan.

There's certainly plenty to say about how the TE is going to do based on what the D is going. I guess it seemed to me like the OP was asking whether Celek was going to be a viable option going forward. And that, given the nature of the position, there's not that many guys that I would certainly not pick him up in favor of, based on the last two games. I mean, I was reasonably happy with Greshem this year, but it's not like he's been money or anything. Certainly not so great that I was going to endure another week of wondering whether he'd be good to go or not.

You've almost got me conviced to sit Gonzo for Celek this week.

:wacko: I have the exact same dilema. I don't see any reason for Atlanta needing to throw a ton, and it being a huge Turner day on the ground against a porous Indy rushing defense. Whereas by nature of their offense, the Eagles throw a ton by default, and only run if they have a big lead.

Or, I may just start them both with one being a flex.

Full disclosure: I dropped him earlier this year for Ballard due to non-performance and still not regretting it.

Celek is definitely the 4th receiving choice in PHI behind Slim Shady, Jackson, and Maclin; and may in some games #5 behind Avant also. Vick loves him some throwng downfield, and when he isn't McCoy is a better option as a safety valve. IMO Celek isn't/wasn't worth a silent fart except for weeks 15 & 16 last season when he actually scored well. Looks like he's getting his couple of weeks to shine a little earlier this year.

I think his standing as barely being worthy of a TE2 in larger leagues is about right and he's going to start disappointing those who think he's finally reaching upward again.

Edited by Bronco Billy