[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My work survivor contest winner

Seahawks21

We do a small survivor contest at work. The guy that just won got laid off after the first week and moved to California, and nobody has been able to get in touch with him to get his picks. If you don't make a pick, you get the Monday night home team by default. He has won the last seven weeks by default, including last week by taking Jacksonville over Baltimore and won the big money this week by taking Kansas City over San Diego. Of course I got a call from the guy tonight congratulating me for my second place finish.

We do a small survivor contest at work. The guy that just won got laid off after the first week and moved to California, and nobody has been able to get in touch with him to get his picks. If you don't make a pick, you get the Monday night home team by default. He has won the last seven weeks by default, including last week by taking Jacksonville over Baltimore and won the big money this week by taking Kansas City over San Diego. Of course I got a call from the guy tonight congratulating me for my second place finish.

You should have rules in place that disqualify someone like that after their 2nd or 3rd no-show.

In my survivor pool you have to pick a winner each week. By not picking a team, you actually dont pick a winner that week, so you are eliminated.

Would seem like the most logical way to handle it... Why would you even leave open this possibility for someone who doesn't submit their picks?

Hey what ever works :tup:

He had a plan and it paid off :wacko:

In my survivor pool you have to pick a winner each week. By not picking a team, you actually dont pick a winner that week, so you are eliminated.

I'm guessing this rule is in place, rightly so, because plenty of people at offices who sign up for these things aren't as religious about these sorts of endeavors as those of us who come to a forum like this. Hell, they're already at a disadvantage to begin with by virtue of not paying as close attention to who should be able to beat whom. Why compound that by kicking a guy out because life got in the way.

I'm sure there'd be some casualties as it is if this happened late enough in the season where a guy had already used whatever team he was getting stuck with as his MNF winner.

I'm guessing this rule is in place, rightly so, because plenty of people at offices who sign up for these things aren't as religious about these sorts of endeavors as those of us who come to a forum like this. Hell, they're already at a disadvantage to begin with by virtue of not paying as close attention to who should be able to beat whom. Why compound that by kicking a guy out because life got in the way.

I'm sure there'd be some casualties as it is if this happened late enough in the season where a guy had already used whatever team he was getting stuck with as his MNF winner.

great point ,, I never thought of that possibility :wacko:

Yeah, it is just an office thing that we do for $10 for fun. Half of the 20 people in it probably don't watch any more football than the weekly Seahawks game and Thanksgiving games, if that. We're not exactly playing cut-throat NFL survivor here. A few people every week forget to put in their pick, and they probably wouldn't play or enjoy it if we disqualified everybody for not making a pick. Besides, it was kind of fun to laugh at the three people that got stuck taking Jacksonville against Baltimore, and talking about their luck on Tuesday.

The guy just didn't want to interact with the rest of us anymore once he was laid off. He left and didn't look back. He said he was working and doing alright, just didn't want to have anything to do with the company anymore, or the people in it. He had been getting the weekly updates and said he thought a few weeks ago about starting to make picks again as the crowd got thin really quickly this year, and really wanted to pick the Saints this week and burn like the rest of us, but decided to just let it ride because of the story it would create if he won this way. Keggerz is right, 7 in a row, geez, what're the odds?

Edited by Seahawks21

I dont think teams get 2 home games as a MNF game. Big John can verify

Understood, but had he not started getting "stuck" with the MNF home team so early, there would have been a chance that he would have burned one of those MNF home teams already in one of the picks he actually made for himself before he went AWOL.