[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tebow (or whoever)mania

BeeR

What is this thing about the media/fans grabbing onto a particular playing and going on and on and on about them? I swear half the sports pages online are constantly about him, people love him, people hate him, he's great, he sucks, he's this that blah, what's his favorite color and round we go. Just not getting it. Aren't Dalton, Ponder, or even guys like Foster, CJ etc worth at least the occasional headline anymore? Newton has gotten some press but the Tebow this is a major :wacko:

What is this thing about the media/fans grabbing onto a particular playing and going on and on and on about them? I swear half the sports pages online are constantly about him, people love him, people hate him, he's great, he sucks, he's this that blah, what's his favorite color and round we go. Just not getting it. Aren't Dalton, Ponder, or even guys like Foster, CJ etc worth at least the occasional headline anymore? Newton has gotten some press but the Tebow this is a major :wacko:

It's a cult of personality. A lot of the blame goes to the Worldwide Leader. Once they decide what WE want to see, they will drive it in to the ground. Think Favre, TO, and lots of others. Once they get a whiff of a good story, you better get used to hearing about it. And the way Gator fans absolutely WORSHIP Tebow, ESPN latched on and went national with it. On a smaller scale they did that with stock-boy-turned-QB Kurt Warner. I am a Rams fan and I was sick of that story.

It's kinda like asking how the Tabloids survive. If people didn't buy them, they'd cease to exist.

There are definitely crowds on each side who adamantly believe he can be great, as well as those who believe he has no chance (and this is leaving out all of the people who might be for/against him for other reasons like him being religious or a whiny cry baby bitch :wacko: ).

But what definitely makes him even more of a media spectacle is the fact that he's a Heisman winner who broke all those records and had that kind of success in college (which as a UGA homer, I should note that it took him 4 years to break Hershel's TD record he set in 3 years before going to the NFL), yet has none of the mechanics of a traditional pocket passer... I mean, the media eats up stuff like this, not to mention a QB contreversy, so it's little surprise they're steering the conversation towards a guy that gets such mixed responses.

I mean, they seriously have to be loving this, because I don't think anyone can recall seeing a guy whose style of play is so controversial.

It's a cult of personality. A lot of the blame goes to the Worldwide Leader. Once they decide what WE want to see, they will drive it in to the ground. Think Favre, TO, and lots of others. Once they get a whiff of a good story, you better get used to hearing about it. And the way Gator fans absolutely WORSHIP Tebow, ESPN latched on and went national with it. On a smaller scale they did that with stock-boy-turned-QB Kurt Warner. I am a Rams fan and I was sick of that story.

It's kinda like asking how the Tabloids survive. If people didn't buy them, they'd cease to exist.

:wacko:

I think this sums it up best. Really much of the fault is the fans.

Maybe Tebow shouldn't play in the NFL. You look at some of the responses in some of the Tebow threads and you'd swear that he invokes a mental illness to overtake some people. Some just simply adore the guy, but it seems like the most passionate responses come from those that want so badly to see him fail miserably. The guy has started exactly 6 games in the NFL and they are completely and unequivocably certain that he doesn't have even the most remote chance of succeeding. There just isn't any other possible alternative for these people.

If Tebow were to succeed, you almost have to worry that some of those people would go completely unhinged to the detriment of themselves and/or others around them.

Some just simply adore the guy, but it seems like the most passionate responses come from those that want so badly to see him fail miserably.

If you keep saying this enough times maybe people will start believing it... As far as serious football fans go, the reason so many are so adament in their claims that he's not going to be good, is mostly because so many people go on about how somehow his magical athletic abilities and leadership are going to make him be able to overcome his clear shortcomings in the most important areas for success at the most important position in the NFL, that it's just gotten silly with Bronco fans chanting Tebow...

It has to do with the fact that people think it was a massive reach for McDumbass to take a project QB with a first round pick... So it's more a matter of "I told you so, you delusional homers", than some hatred that probably only exists in a small subsect of casual fans.

If it makes you feel better thinking everyone is out to get him, fine, but the doubters have been vindicated, while his supporters aren't exactly looking like expert talent evaluators at the moment.

Controversy sells. There has to be an element of "what if" so people can argue and get emotionally invested.

Good point, but the degree of it here is so ridiculous.

If you keep saying this enough times maybe people will start believing it... As far as serious football fans go, the reason so many are so adament in their claims that he's not going to be good, is mostly because so many people go on about how somehow his magical athletic abilities and leadership are going to make him be able to overcome his clear shortcomings in the most important areas for success

So many people like-? I don't disbelieve you per se but haven't heard anyone, even the media yutzes, say that. As for DEN fans chanting "Tebow" maybe that's because Orton wasn't cutting it and they were losing? If positions were reversed they'd shout for Orton. And they may soon anyway. :tup:

The religion rant is lame and only an issue for those with an even lamer ax to grind. :wacko:

BeeR just wanted to put a positive slant on it.

Gotta be honest, I never thought I'd read that sentence.

Joshin' BeeR, we love 'ya man.

Maybe Tebow shouldn't play in the NFL. You look at some of the responses in some of the Tebow threads and you'd swear that he invokes a mental illness to overtake some people. Some just simply adore the guy, but it seems like the most passionate responses come from those that want so badly to see him fail miserably. The guy has started exactly 6 games in the NFL and they are completely and unequivocably certain that he doesn't have even the most remote chance of succeeding. There just isn't any other possible alternative for these people.

If Tebow were to succeed, you almost have to worry that some of those people would go completely unhinged to the detriment of themselves and/or others around them.

This and not much else in this thread

Wow, really? If Tebos is succesful we need to worry about the haters going postal? Seriously?

If nothing else its good entertainment (which I guess is why its getting so much play in the media)

:wacko:

I'd be watching very carefully at work if Tebow manages to put up a couple of good games. It may never happen, but if it does, cover your 6.

While I love to criticize ESPN for every lame thing they do, the fact is that it comes down to what sells. In other words, it's not ESPN's fault the Tim Tebow story gets more clicks/viewers/listeners than the Fred Jackson story does. It's the dumb population.

Right now, on PFT, two of the top five "Most Commented On" stories are about Tebow. Look at this forum! There are currently four Tebow posts on the front page. One has 200+ replies. One has 100+ replies. One is at 85+ and this one is working on 20+. ESPN is a money-making business. If they want to make more money, they should just keep doing Tebow stories. *shrug*

The CBS writer is getting tired of your emails Bronco Billy :wacko:

You might find a fan, a sportswriter or even a player who will profess to not liking Tebow. But mostly you'll find people, even his harshest critics -- even me, come to think of it -- who like the guy. We admire his football accomplishments in high school and college, his sincere beliefs off the field, his work as a missionary. Whatever any of us think of him as an NFL quarterback, we like the man behind the facemask.

But his fans? You people? We don't like you.

And you know who you are. If you're a Tebow fan who hasn't played the persecution card, I'm probably not talking to you. I'm not saying a Tebow fan is by definition an unlikeable person. And I'm positive that some of you -- the reasonable Tebow fans among you -- get the distinction I'm making here.

But everyone else? The unreasonables? You don't get it. You don't get anything. You roam the countryside looking for people to get mad at, and you lash out in ways that will only drive critics farther away from Tebow's side. You tell the critics their issues with Tebow aren't really issues with Tebow -- they're issues with God. You tell the critics that Tebow would be getting a fair shake if he were from another religion, or from another race, or both. Do you have any idea how many emails I've received from Tebow fans, taunting me, telling me that Tebow's critics wouldn't have the courage to write or say what we have if Tebow were Muslim?

I get emails like that, and I have to fight the urge to root against Tebow. I'm being serious. If Tebow's success means happiness for people like that, then I'm not sure I can handle his success. But I've fought that urge, and I'll continue to fight it, and I'll win that fight. You people can't beat me, even as you throw the online equivalent of rotten fruit at me and stupidly expect the smell to convince me you're right. The hell with you, but not with Tebow. I don't want him to fail. I want him to continue his journey, fascinating as it is, while I watch in amazement at the unseen plot twists.